Anybody else fly yesterday?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlocknAK, Sep 12, 2005.

1. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

Yesterday was the first time that I'd flown here in the Lower 48 on September 11th.

It was a strange feeling for me. Everytime I made a logbook entry or sent flight info over ACARS it was a reminder of that horrible day.

A lot of people seem to have almost forgotten. Maybe it's just people trying to put it behind them and move on, but everytime I see video or pictures from that day it pisses me off.

I must admit though, that I did enjoy getting to fly. I can't think of a better F' you to send to bin Laden or his thugs.

For my fellow citizens and my Brothers and Sisters in arms that were murdered that day, I will never forget...

September 11, 2001

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

No, I didn't fly yesterday but it wasn't because I didn't want to.

Weather.:(

3. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

I flew in a commercial airline. It was a bit uncomfortable.;b

4. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

I should probably remember this from previous posts, but what are you flying these days M2?

5. SlimlineGlock

SlimlineGlock

I flew yesterday; had my .40 cal on the right hip. The only way to fly on 9/11...

6. Patriot328

Patriot328 B756

IAD-TPA-IAD 4.5 of beautiful weather block.

Weather was almost as nice as it was 4 years ago.

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I still have the Buckeye powered parachute. I'll probably keep it but I've about got a Aerolite FW UL ready to fly. A couple pictures are at the end of the Hanger Rent thread.

I'm going to work on the plane tomorrow which should just about get it ready to fly.:)

8. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

I took a girl friend on a little sight seeing flight along the beach from Pensacola to Destin on 9/11 -- it was a beautiful day to fly here!

On the return flight to Pensacola, I was westbound at 800 feet along the coast just east of Hurlburt Field when Eglin approach advised me to change frequencies to Hulrburt Tower to transition that field's airspace. After I made contact, Hurlburt advised that I had traffic at 2 o'clock and five miles -- a 747 heavy (not common for these parts).

I picked up the aircraft on my TIS display and quickly acquired a visual sighting -- and joked with my passenger, "I wonder if that is Air Force 1". Realizing that a 747 at apporach speed is much faster that I could ever be at full throttle, I knew the 747 would pass in front of me. I advised Hurlburt Tower that I had the traffic, I was at the west boundary of the field and I would descend to 600 feet -- when the unique paint scheme of none other than -- Air Force 1 -- became evident on the aircraft ahead and to my left!

I scrambled to grab my digital camera (something told me to bring it on that flight) and snapped the attached photo. Not the best shot, but the best I could do under the circumstances. He had lowered his gear and was about to begin his turn to line up for runway 36. It was a beautiful sight to see that wonderfully painted 747 make a somewhat hard bank (not a typical airline landing approach) to land behind me.

Evidently, President Bush had travelled to the New Orleans area, been dropped off, and flown to the Iwo Jima by helicopter for an overnight stay. I guess they brought his 747 over to Hurlburt since it was the closest undamaged Air Force base (Kessler was heavily damaged by Katrina) to New Orleans.

Needless to say, it was a beautiful day to fly -- and I had a very impressed female passenger (even though it actually wasn't Air Force 1 as the President wasn't aboard)...couldn't have made it any better if I had planned it!

[​IMG]

9. jungle

jungle

MROC to KMIA in a 757. Nice weather.

10. CFII

CFII

Local flight, some aerobatics. Was fun, but eerie. I lived at a small airport on 9/11. Hearing no airplanes while living at an airport gets kinda creepy.

11. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

I know what you mean about it being erie not hearing any airplanes. I lived under the approach path to the south runway in Bethel, AK. Not hearing anything all day was really weird.

We had my handheld plugged into the wall in the pilot house out there until we got back flying. I would say that three different times we heard, "Bethel tower, what's going on? Why is the tower closed?" The response was, "Land immediately, runway of your choice and contact the tower." (or something like that)

We had a bunch of guys out hunting or fishing that had no idea what was going on until they got on the ground. Or until a flight of F-15s intercepted them in their Cub or T-craft. Kind of funny in a way. Especially the pics taken from the fighters.

On the 11th I heard a couple of F-15s go overhead in trail of a 747. When I got back into the office my captain told me that they had just informed Anchorage that they'd been hijacked. (we were listening to center freq in the officer)

Turns out that they were from Korea and with the language barrier all they were trying to do was tell Anchorage that they had a low fuel emergency;P

The conversations that took place between them and ANC center are (after the fact) unbelievable, scary, and hilarious all at the same time. They wound up in Whitehorse, but not before ANC told them that they would be shot down if they attempted to approach ANC. Or so the story goes...

12. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I fly every September 11th. This year, it was 1.5 hours, Watsonville to King City and back. I need some more X-C before I can finish IFR, but could only get the plane for a short one. Pretty fair amount of people flying, but that is usual for a Sunday. At one point, there were seven planes in the pattern at WVI. Man, I wish we had a tower.

13. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

Hey M2, I can't get onto Aerolite's website. They outta biz, or is their server maybe just dorkin up?

Hope you get it in the air soon. Looks like fun.

14. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Not only out of business but in the last couple days at least one of the partners, owners whatever she is, was arrested.
    Then their web site went down.

It seems that for some time they have been taking thousands of dollars deposits on kits and not delivering.

I had called and e-mailed them several times without getting any cooperation. I thought, this outfit is out of business or soon to be.

I hope someone continues to make parts. There's one guy that may.

15. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

Well that sucks. It looks like a fun little airplane. I need to get into something a little more back to basics. I'd love to hear more about how the new addition to your stable works out.

CRJ's are fun, but "George" has it most of the day even when I hand fly to and from cruise alt. That and a "short" runway for use is 5,500 feet.;g

I miss flyin in AK. I really should go back.... hmmmm