close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody else actually enjoy Windows?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Dec 5, 2012.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I have been using Windows 7 for years. XP and Vista had their bugs. 7 is really nice to use. I also like the layout of the Start button, the Control Panel, etc.
    I have an iPad which is not bad, but I don't like the Apple OSX software layout.
    With Windows, if something like my wireless printer quits working, I know where to go.

So far, I am on my 2nd Windows 7 laptop (1st Toshiba lasted 3 years of hard use and abuse). It's fast, it's secure, it works.

People always ***** about Windows but to me honest I really enjoy it. I have heard Windows 8 is a disaster though, but 7 seems great.

You?

2. TK-421

TK-421

I've been using Vista for years, no complaints from me.

3. boozer

boozer

Ha! Wait until you see W8, its like starting all over.

You get used to it, but you end up wondering why.

(Comments intended for desktop version usage)

4. sbhaven

sbhaven

I've used one version or another of Windows since the Windows 3.0 days. All had their problems. Some were worse than others, XP and 7 are the best so far. This weekend reloaded Vista to one computer (Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM) to configure it as a media server (using Plex) and it runs very slow after loading all the MS updates to it (and before loading Plex to it). Vista is so slow that I'm now debating on going to Linux/XMBC on that computer.

5. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Never tried 7 but always been happy with XP. I dont have any problems.

6. RGbiker

RGbiker

I think your pants are on fire.....:whistling:

7. raven11

raven11

I use windows only because its what I'm familiar with. Every time I try to use apple or Linux I just can't have the same usability that I have on a windows. I also play PC games and a good 90% are windows anyways

8. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

9. JerryVO

JerryVO

Been in IT for 15 years. With the exception of Vista and ME Microsoft has done a good job with windows. People complain but the have no idea what a technological accomplishment it is to have an os that works on any junk hardware people throw at it. I installed Win 8 the day it came out and hated it at first but after spending some time with it it is really growing on me. I can see the integration posibilities between PC, phone, and tablet.

It is always trendy to hate on the lead dog in just about anything so most people over hype any problems they hear about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

10. badge315

badge315

Why yes, I look out of them all the time. :wavey:

11. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

I'll agree with a software engineer friend who told me "Windows is the McDonalds of operating systems".

That said, Microsoft and Windows have contributed immeasurably to my ability to make a living over the past 20 years and for that I am truly grateful.

12. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Never in a million years would I buy another apple product.
    If I couldn't get a Windows PC I'd go looking for an abacus.

13. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

OP: you know where to go to fix the printer, because you had to do it several times!!
    With a Mac it works when you plug it in without downloading after a long search the driver. It will continue to work until it physically breaks.

You know why IT people don't like Macs?
    Because their jobs would end when the hardware is set up and plugged in!!

14. TK-421

TK-421

Well, if that's the case, then I can't wait for when I get the money to upgrade my desktop to get Windows 7, or 8. Because my laptop seems plenty fast, with a Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM. Makes me excited for when I can upgrade. Because after getting used to my laptop with Vista, and granted, the startup time sucks big time, then Windows 7 on a good desktop must be great. :supergrin:

And no, that wasn't sarcasm, I was being serious. Because I know this isn't like super fast, but I figured it was decent. But if this is actually slow, then an upgrade will be awesome.

15. Adjuster

Adjuster

I am a Windows XP fan. I don't see how any other versions could be better, easier, more straightforward etc etc.. I don't even know why they continue to develop new versions.

/

16. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

Microsoft finally got it right with Windows 7 and the XBOX360..and Kinect.

I bashed them for years, but they hit it out of the park recently.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Nope. All apple now.

Although I think iOS6 isn't ewhat it was cracked up to be. My 5 is slower than my 4S was on iOS5. Especially responding to rapid keypad or button actions.

But I don't miss Windows at all.

18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've had W7 for a good while now and I still think it sucks.

It seems to be a good operating system but almost everything I do is a big chore. Even simple things like Search becomes a big deal. Then the damned thing can't find files that I know are on the computer.

Then there's Explorer.
    The Geeks couldn't leave it alone and simple to use. They added a bunch of crap like, libraries, pictures, home group, videos, etc, that I have no use for but can't get rid of.
    Just leave the damned stuff simple for people that have no interest in relearning a new system every time Microsoft forces a new, usually full of bugs, version of Windows on you.

Just yesterday I wanted to check on "Restore". So I have to spend a half hour trying to find where the hell Restore is hidden now.

I'm not a computer Geek and I don't enjoy having to figure out where Microsoft hid stuff that I've been using for years.

Then there's the expense of having to buy a new printer and several expensive programs because they won't work in W7.

My two other computers still have XP and I have no problem with it or using it.

So you have to buy the new crap.
    Can't you imagine a bunch of Microsoft programmers sitting around saying, "No need to change this, it works fine".
    It's more like, "Yeah this works fine but for job security lets change everything around so it looks like we are actually doing something useful".

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  19. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

BS...
    I'm currently running Macs (iMac and a MB-Air), but my Win XP and 7 machines were just as stable and "plug and play" as my Macs.
    The difference I've noticed is, when something doesn't auto-run/auto-config on a Mac it's much more difficult to troubleshoot than Win machines. Apple likes to hide and/or disable the advanced settings.

20. Inebriated

Inebriated