close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody do any charity work for animals?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by MrsKitty, Aug 4, 2004.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Does anybody do any charity work for animals?

A few years ago, I took part in a group effort amoung some friends to raise money for the local Humane Society. The participants each wrote a short story about how an animal had touched his or her life. We published these with a local high schoolprinting program as a booklet. This kept our costs down plus gave the kids some experience. One of our members paid for the publishing costs plus we did all the work as far as layout. Every single dollar we got was clear profit and passed along to the animals. We asked for a $5 donation for each book but sometimes got as much as $25! We did require an accounting of how/where the money was spent by the Humane Society as we beat the bushes and sold the booklets. Once the first printing sold out, we gave the humane society a disk so they could do more reprints which they sold...

I would love to do that again ;a

2. ubimow

ubimow

Kind of....I have spayed/neutered 17 stray cats and keep them on my property with plenty of food, water and love. :)

3. Slobberchops

Slobberchops WTF?!?!?

I adopted my pup from a rescue and periodically send donations.

does that count?

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Yup, that counts ;f

I wish I could do more but if I was to actively get involved with the Humane Society, I would want to take every single animal home with me ;g I have always wanted to adopt every single furball I come across that needed a home... I just couldn't handle it, I would become chronically depressed, I fear :(

5. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Same here Misskitty. I've been cruising rescue sites as I decide on the possibility of a second dog and every one I read I want to bring home and save. I can't imagine the emotions involved in running a shelter or rescue. Takes a special person for sure. I also donate throughout the year.

6. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

I used to do 2 free training lessons for anybody that adopted from the local shelters and also used to spend my off time teaching the homeless dogs commands to help them out in getting adopted. I had to stop though, it was breaking my heart to build bonds with these animals and then leave them to go back to my comfortable home. It really used to tear me up.
    Occasionally now after a rough week I will walk thru the local humane society and hand out treats. Helps me put things in proper perspective again. :)

7. JAREDG21

JAREDG21

My gf and I own 2 adopted dogs and two adopted cats. I love them more than some members of my family.

8. JAREDG21

JAREDG21

My gf and I own 2 adopted dogs and two adopted cats. I love them more than some members of my family.

9. Bill73

Bill73

Use the "click a link and feed an animal" takes no effort at all and you will feel you do your part each day.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I *try* to remember to do this every day ;)

11. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

It's sometimes mentioned that donations of pet food and related supplies are also needed, for the Humane Society shelters and so on. This has also been mentioned after local/in-state communities have been largely or completely wiped out by summer wild fires, for example. Kiddo's middle school did a pet food drive thing as a requirement for getting into one of the school dances last year.

The few times I've been to the 'pound' in my life I remain emotionally unstable for days.... it's also difficult to watch tv news footage of same.

So much need, and I'll never understand how and why some animals are treated by "humans" as they are :(
    m

12. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I have been thinking of volunteering out at Dekalb County's no kill shelter......it is east of Atlanta and the cats are placed in a house, with no cages. There are 2 adult rooms and 1 kitten room.

I know they can use people to clean the boxes and feed the cats.......

My schedule is so eratic though, never the same schedule each week........

13. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I guess you could call my Miss Kitty a rescue. I found her when she was a week old and handfed her until she was weaned. She sure is antisocial considering how she was fed...I can't imagine how she would be if she had nursed with her mommy ;P

14. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

When I was in college, I did "charity" work for the local animal shelter.

I fed dogs and cats and cleaned their cages/pens.

A very small kitten came in that was so infested with fleas that they looked like a collar on her neck.

I was trying to wash the kitten with flea dip and she bit me right on the base of the thumb.

It didn't hurt but when I told the staff vet she went nuts. She immediately put the kitten down, sent the body to Austin Tx for rabies testing and sent me to a clinic for a free tetnus shot.

All in all it was heart breaking. After a couple more weekends, I just couldn't bring myself to do it anymore. The flow of animals in the front alive and kicking was evenly matched by the flow of dead animals out the back door. Very, very few were adopted.

15. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

I do some rescue work with TIRR. I do the basic webpage maintenance for them, have adopted 2 of their dogs, and do donations and other support functions as needed--sometimes just being a friend to listen to the heartaches & successes.

www.tirr.petfinder.com

-Vicky

16. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

No,i really like animals,and have a cat i adopted,but if i did any work,it would be for the homeless/hungry children/etc..

17. noway

noway

I wouldn't called this charity work more like volunteering work, but I worked in a horse stable a few years back and also a dog temporaryhousing kennel with cleaning cages and walking the dogs. All without pay and or compensation.

18. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

My brother’s widow owns and operates Shepherd’s Green (www.9sites.ocm), a 501(C3) federal charity for animal rescue. Her specialty and particular love is potbellied pigs. At last count she was boarding 147.