Any wine lovers out there?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by NRA_guy, Jun 12, 2005.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

I just don't "get" wine. I can drink it, and I do. But I can't seem to enjoy it like some do.

I read wine labels and wine books, and they all refer to "nutty, fruity, flavors".

I have had lots of different price wines and dry, red, merlos, etc., but none taste as good to me as a glass of ice tea or lemonaid.

We have a wine expert (wrote a book on wine) in the family, but his selections don't excite me either.

My wife says that I have dead taste buds from eating too much hot pepper. Maybe so.

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

My taste buds are finely tuned, and I'm really close to being right with you...

I want to like wine more, because there are so many varieties, beautiful labels and bottles,
    and because it's an ancient nectar with cool history, so I'll keep trying...

I want to learn and appreciate their pairing with foods...

But most wines are not enjoyable to me...
    I like ice cold German whites, Spanish Sidres, and Asti Spumantes,
    but these are usually sweeter things...

It's a chore for me to sip a dry, full red wine...
    Dry Champagne, forget it!

I love cooking with wine though... Dry red or white... Spectacular!

Try some sweeter wines ice cold and see if they make you happy...

;c

3. noway

noway

yeap love wine and mostly drink alot of blancos and a few reds. My favorites are rieslings and alot of california whites a a fw brands from chile.

4. JohniusMaximus

JohniusMaximus

Gotta make your own. That's the secret. ;f

Left to right: Apple wine, Johnius's Hard Lemonade, and Blueberry wine. Blackberry will be started in July.

[​IMG]

5. noway

noway

curious minds want to know, how much wine is held in the background container?

6. JohniusMaximus

JohniusMaximus

Each of the larger containers hold 3 gallons. The smaller ones hold 1 and the really small one is 1/2 gallon. Whenever I make a batch I always make an extra gallon to top up with since I lose some each time I rack off the sediment.

7. noway

noway

I'm going to PM you. I make vinegar on a few ocassion and looking for a bigger container than the std 750ml bottles and gallon stuff I have sitting around.

8. Michael Dean

Michael Dean

I'm with the first two posters here. I am really trying to "get" the wine thing. I drink a lot of beer, in the amber/dark category. I really enjoy the heavier flavored beers, and I know that is an aquired taste.

I've recently started reading about wines and trying to understand some of the basic differences in types of wines. The really dry ones taste like kerosene to me (no kidding). I guess in the last 3-4 weeks I have tried about ten different wines, some are ok and some are not. But even the ok ones aren't great to me yet. I guess liking wine is an aquired taste also, I just haven't gotten there yet. But I am trying.

9. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

There's no magic to it. I am an amature wine collector and have about 300 bottles (which is nothing, trust me).

So you aren't too keen on wine, not much you can do about it.
    Not much you should do about it.

I am the same way with blue cheese. I wish I could eat the stuff. Some people are in heaven with big block of roquefort in their hand and a glass of Sautern. I can dig the Sautern (sweet white Bordeaux wine) but I as soon as that blue cheese amonia flavor hits my tongue, it's curtains.

Basically there's a connoisseurship for anything: wine, beer, anchovies, olives, cigars, cheese, guns, ammo, tanks, nuclear powered subs, etc!

Just pick what floats your boat.

-Stooxie

10. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

I could never get past the alcohol content of wine until I started drinking hard liquor. Then wine didn't seem alcoholic at all! ;)

Like coffee, cigars and even beer, it is an aquired taste. You have to drink a lot (or smoke alot or eat alot) before you can start telling one apart from another.

-Stooxie

11. Michael Dean

Michael Dean

Stooxie,

I do understand what you are saying about wine, and being a connoisseur. I do want to enjoy wine, I just haven't aquired the taste yet. And then of course after the second bottle, it all tastes good. Har!

12. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

I have a friend who classifies all wine in 2 categories:

a. screw-top
    b. cork-top

He prefers screw-top because they are easier to open.

Not long ago I fondly recalled that the cheap sweet wine we drank early in life was "pretty good" so I picked up a bottle of Thunderbird and MD (aka Mad Dog) 20/20. It was horrible!

It tasted just like the wretched vinegar we used to make from muscadine grapes when I was a kid. I am told that our problem was that we let air get to it.

I just wonder if a wine costing hundreds of dollars is really that much better than a $20 bottle.

The big thing around here lately is Australian wine with weird names. I don't particularly like them either.

The best wine I ever tasted was a sangria wine with a bunch of fresh fruit and ice. It was pretty good.

PS: The courts ruled recently that we can order wine over the internet regardless of local and state laws. Do you think the same rule applies to guns and ammo?

13. TheEgg

TheEgg

In my limited experience, cost goes up MUCH faster than quality.

A good $20 bottle of wine will fool almost everyone in a tasting test against a $200 bottle of wine.

14. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

That's not quite fair. It's like comparing a tricked-out race gun to a "normal" 1911. You're average person will probably go for the normal gun because it looks more normal. No big *** mag well, no curly cue safety or mag release, no looney looking sights. The connoisseur, however, knows the race gun is a thing of value.

Now, certainly not every $200 wine is worth $200, but to those who know what to look for in an aged wine it can be worth it.

FYI, most expensive wines are expensive because someone else has done the speculating and the investing (i.e. a merchant). Because no one can know for sure if a wine will be best with age, so most wines are fairly affordable when they are released. However, if it turns out that they are really great after 15 years, well, someone is going to charge you a lot more for having waited.

I can promise you there are a lot of wine drinkers who couldn't imagine why someone would spend $3000 on a Weatherby custom rifle when that $250 Savage is the exact same gun. (Spare me the jabs on that one ;) )

-Stooxie

15. Tazwolff

Tazwolff

I live pretty much in the wine country and used to be into the wine thing when I was younger. Now I just shut up and drink the wine faster than I can taste it so it doesn’t matter to me.

Making it yourself is really fun too; I did it for a while. My friend used to make some apple wine that was darn good, and potent.

16. TheEgg

TheEgg

You will note please my careful use of the phrase "in my limited experience". I put it there for a reason. I have had the opportunity in my life to taste only about 6 wines in the $200+ category, so I am NOT putting myself forth as an expert.

My only point is that while wines certainly taste different and some are good, some are so-so, and some are bad, price seems to me to not be a reliable indicator of the quality of the wine.;f

I don't think that this observation is unfair in any way.

17. noway

noway

Youd don't need a $200 dollar bottle wine to taste a good wine. MOST wines I buy are right at $7.99 to $15.00 and they are superb in taste. I have yet to know of anybody that buys $200+ wine and that's not my crowd that I hang out with.

You can get a good cali vineyard that goes good with the food you eat and/or as a good drinking wine for under $20.00. If you want to build your wine tasting and sampling try some wine clubs. Alot around here have these pay $20.00 and then you are allowed access into rooms with probably over 100plus bottles of various wines from various region of the world. lately I've been sampling a few plum based wines from Japan,. Very different than wines made form grapes.

18. chip00

chip00

Checking the June 2, 2005 archives of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, we find Lee Kramers widow finds one million dollars worth of wine in the cellar which will be auctioned at Christies.

High end French reds.

If you have it, drink it so your widow will not have to auction it off for the estate.

Lee Kramer was the owner of High Fidelity SSS a custom stereo store. Interesting fellow.