Any wheelchair competition shooters?

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by Pegleg57, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Pegleg57

Pegleg57

I am an above knee amputee and right now using a wheelchair. I want to get into IDPA but worry about safety of drawing from a seated position. Seems nearly impossible not to sweep my right knee or thigh. I know there is a wheel chair mount available but would like to know if anybody else shoots from a wheelchair and how they handle their draw and how the handle the cofs at matches. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

I have seen a triple amputee shooting at our local USPSA match, both legs at the knee, left arm at the elbow, from an IED. He shoots right handed and reloads from a magazine tray on his belt. And he is a pretty damn good shooter to boot. We also see wheel chair guys from time to time with chair mounted holsters. All they have to do is holster during movement from array to array to work the chair. Haven't seen anyone with an electric yet. Go to USPSA.com and IDPA.com and contact the match director, tell him your situation, and they will accommodate you. Front Sight, the USPSA magazine, just had an article about wheel chair shooters.

3. Buoyboy

Buoyboy

4. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

I'd parrot asking the MD. At our range, we have had several in wheelchairs, with canes and prosthetics.

In USPSA, there is a sweeping exemption for the lower extremities. A mounted rig on the frame of the chair would seem to be the best choice to me.

Let us know what you end up doing. I get asked this question a lot and would like more data from shooters like yourself.