Any Way To Identify The Lumens On Older Streamlight TLR-1's

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by Dom Pastore, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Dom Pastore

Dom Pastore dpast32

Good Morning Kids, I have a question regarding my older Streamlight TLR-1 'White Lights'. I just picked up an new model, the TLR-1 /HL, with 1,000 Lumens. It started me thinking about how the heck could I identify all my older, previously purchased TLR-1's, in regards to their Lumens output ? Yes, I may be able to match them up via their original packaging, which I fortunately have saved, but even that's not fool proof. Has anyone else ever attempted to accomplish this task, or am I the only but that's ever tried it ? Currently, I have 4 TLR-1's & 3 TLR-3's, & not one of them is actually marked with their respective outputs ! The 3's aren't too much of a problem, as they are either 90, 110, & IIRC 125 Lumens. I gave the 90 to my Grandson for his Airsoft Glock 19X, so the 3's must e either 100 or 125. However, the TLR-1's appear to undergo Lumen increases every year or less !! Has anyone ever figured out some way to solve this particular 'riddle' ? I do have one solution, but it will remain my final option, as it requires the most effort, IMHO. Yup, just sell off all the older ones, & replace them with new models, which WILL BE MARKED somehow by me as to their outputs. So, if anybody thinks they have any other options for me, PLEASE give me a yell THANK YOU !!
    Best, dpast32

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  2. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

The older TLR's were 300 lumens.

:cool;

3. Dom Pastore

Dom Pastore dpast32

THANKS dude1, I appreciate the reply !

Best, dpast32

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

I think you are right for most of the more recent models, but I was also thinking they made a 200 lumen version before that (I believe I have one or two of them hiding somewhere).

OP, maybe the company could help? IIRC, all these lights are serial numbered, so it would make sense to me for the factory to mark a changeover date and serial number cutoff when a model's specs or construction materials changed.

if you find out any info along these lines, post it here, as I am also interested!

5. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

The TLR-1 and TLR-1s are 300 lumen. If it’s a TLR-1 HL, it can be 630, 800, or 1,000, depending what year it was made. The 800 ran the longest, for the HL. The 1,000 lumen is fairly new.

kiser64 likes this.
  6. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

I bought an older one, used, from a pawn shop last year. Because it actually had the wrench and spare inserts with it (rare!), I kept the box and just tossed it onto the junk shelf in the man-cave closet. That one was rated even lower than I thought -- the box says "up to 135 lumens" (see pic).

OldTLR1Box135Lumens.jpg

7. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I stand corrected. Add 135 lumens to the list.

DJ Niner likes this.
  8. Dom Pastore

Dom Pastore dpast32

THANKS Guys for all the replies, they're most appreciated. As you can see by the replies, Streamlight appears to have updated their Lumens output every 18 months or so !! Yes, I guess in the long run that's a good thing for us, but it really does make it difficult trying to figure out each particular unit's output !! Right now, the only ones I'm certain of are my TLR-3's ( Within a 10 - 20 Lumen range ), & my latest TLR-1 at 1,000 Lumens. I had initially ordered the 800, but they shipped me the higher one for the same price. ( $119 + $8 ) I guess my next step is to compile a serial # list & forward to Streamlight's Customer Service. They have always appeared to have excellent quality control, so I guess there is a fair chance of them being able to determine each unit's Lumen rating by their serial number. You may be assured that I'll report any & findings here on the Forum. THANKS again,

Best, dpast32