close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any way to get rid of bees without killing them?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .264 magnum, May 28, 2012.

1. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Around our pool we have a number of plants apparently bees like one variety.

Is there are way to drive them away without harming them? Apparently, we have a persistent wild honey bee shortage and all.

I don't know where the closest hive is located.
    Can I smoke them out and if so how?

2. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Sevin dust...

Although that may kill a few scouts. I had a problem with bees on my porch and I dusted the area with seven dust...problem solved a few days later.

3. DaneA

DaneA

Keep your grass cut shorter? If there is no food (pollen) then there are no bees. Maybe plant some bee attracting plants on the other side of the yard (or toss some seeds over the fence into that nosy neighbors yard).

4. sdakota

sdakota senior member

Contact a beekeeper and ask them for help. Often they will help you out for free if they get to keep the bees.

They will set up a hive box containing a swarm attractant pheromone.
    Hopefully this will get the queen to relocate into the box, followed by all the other bees.

I'm currently going through this procedure, but it's been nearly four weeks and the bees don't seem interested.

I hate to, but I may have to call an exterminator.
    I'm going to have some earthwork done in the affected area of my yard and I can't have the workers getting stung by bees.

No matter which route I follow, I think it's best to get help from a professional.

Good luck with your bees !

5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Screw the bees kill them with fire. Ive been nailed by a nest of them in the past so I'm biased. Bees scare the hell out of me.

6. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

7. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Open carry will solve this.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

8. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Put out a plate of soda pop at a far end of the pool. The bees will be attracted to it and leave people alone. Thereafter if you know which plant the bees like, move it away from the pool.

9. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

This was on the window of my 3 month olds bedroom. No mercy for it.

[​IMG]

10. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

That ain't honey bees; it's wasps! (Whole different critter with a much more toxic venom)

11. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I know, but bees/wasps/hornets are always grouped into the same catagory.

12. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Legal Action!

Of course you don't want any trouble from the ABeeLU

13. Fishawk

Fishawk Fishawk

I hope you're not paying a BEEKEEPER to set up the box. The queen will not relocate and the other bees will not set up housekeeping in the box. By putting a box next to you're pool you are invitiig a swarm to move into it and now you have two problems.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  14. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Not really. Bee venom is used to treat muscular dystrophy and other neurological abnormalities; but wasp and hornet venom is good for nothing else but wounding you. I've been stung by plenty of bees - All without any adverse effect. 12 or 13 years ago I got stung by one white faced hornet and ended up on the ground gagging for my life while two long-haired 70's era, 'flower children' just stood there watching. (Maybe they thought I was on a, 'bad acid' trip!) :freak:

I couldn't talk; and I, very well, might have died if a woman who worked across the street didn't happen to be a registered nurse and quickly recognized what was happening to me when I pointed to the bite. On the way to the hospital the ambulance nurse found my pistol and, literally, started screaming, 'OH MY GOD, HE'S GOT A GUN IN MY AMBULANCE!' (Very bright woman!) :tinfoil:

No, honey bees and wasps are NOT the same thing. In fact the doctor who treated me said that rattlesnake venom, and wasp venom are chemically very similar.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  15. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

We have threads like that here: Where good minorities and bad minorities are grouped together. Funny, those threads usually get closed. :rofl:

16. Cgrubb1

Cgrubb1

There may not be anything you can do to remove them. Getting rid of the flowering bushes that attract them would be the best bet. The honey bees you are seeing are probably just worker bees collecting pollen and nectar. A swarm trap will only work if a swarm is looking for a new home. If a swarm did move into the trap, there is no guarantees that different bees will not come back. Getting rid of what attracts them would be the best way IMO