close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any way to get out of a lease?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jp3975, Apr 29, 2013.

1. jp3975

jp3975

Im in Arkansas. Signed a rental lease with my girlfriend 4 days ago. My girlfriend asked around and several people including a cop said it was a dangerous area. She is scared to stay there and wont stay there. Is there any way to get out of the lease? I talked to the owner and she was very rude about it. Doesnt care that my girlfriend is afraid to stay there, and isnt being reasonable at all. We havent even moved in. The lease starts may 1 and we signed on the 25th.

Someone said something about having a 10 day period to get out of a new lease...but i cant find anything about it.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

This all varies heavily by state.. Why didn't you check the area before signing?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. 427

What does the lease say?

4. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    You have many thousands of dollars at risk, go ahead and pay a lawyer to see how you can cut your losses.
    Don't hesitate, act right now.

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Anonymous legal advice on the internet, what could possibly go wrong?

6. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    Sublet it to a meth lab?

:shocked:

7. jp3975

jp3975

Found out after the fact. Was in a rush to move due to having to leave the old place by the second.

I may do that. The best part is that its co-owned by one of the better lawyers in town.

Well...if someone has gotten out of a lease, knows about it...or is any good at finding laws and could show me something that might help....I think that's a reasonable expectation.

8. Benton

Benton

See a lawyer! Most lawyers offer free consultation. the ones that do offer free consultation will hear your problem and then advize you on whether you have a case and what they will charge etc. Good luck to you!

9. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I think you'll find that's not a good thing. He knows what he has and odds are good the lease is designed to give him the maximum possible no matter what kind of neighborhood it's in.

Knew a lawyer socially in Savannah years ago who had around 300 slum properties. He never did anything to fix them up and just kept rerenting them until they were condemned. He was in all respects a real POS.

Lawyers are in the courthouse constantly and they check the foreclosure notices. If a deal looks right they may find themselves bidding on the property with just a few lawyers to bid against. Of course this was long before the Internet.

10. Ronny

Ronny Good Guy

Break it. Stop paying and get evicted or just pack up and leave. Leave a forwarding address to a village in Madagascar. It'll work better if she also gets a new job and tells the folks at the old one she's going to live in Madagascar so the landlord will think she just went loony tune when he tries to garnish her wages.

11. jp3975

jp3975

That was sarcasm. I figure with the co-owner being a lawyer and the other co-owner being his secretary, they may try to sue me for the whole years rent.

I may try my luck on that if no agreement and hope they dont sue. The not paying them part anyway.

They do have a house thats in a better place. Might also be an option to try to get it instead.

But id prefer to just be done with them.

12. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I thought so but wasn't sure. Yeah, that would be my guess. Talk to a lawyer.

13. jp3975

jp3975

Dont suppose anyone knows the answer to this question? I havent been able to find anything online, but someone at the police station mentioned it. I feel like they may have been full of crap though.

14. steve1988

steve1988

A quick Google search for Texas buyer's remorse laws turned up this:
    http://www.housing-rights.org/myths.html

From that source, it seems like the only rights you have (as far as terminating the lease) are the ones specifically given to you under the rental contracts. I am not a lawyer in any way, shape or form, so take that with a grain of salt.

ETA: I see you are in Arkansas now. Give me a minute, and I will try to be somewhat helpful.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  15. eccho

eccho

I have to ask what makes this a "dangerous area". Are we talking hearsay from people that it's just "shady" or are we talking full blown gang warzone?

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see what you could do unless the place is completely uninhabitable.

Let's say the neighbors were the "dangerous ones" and she didn't do anything about them being a menace to other tenants, you might have something.

16. steve1988

steve1988

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well, considering he is in Arkansas, I'd guess Tx law is irrelevant. Have you checked your lease? A lot of leases have an out clause.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Thats easy. Join the military, get deployed ASAP. Most rental contracts have a service personal clause. (check that first of course)
    My understanding (this was MN BTW) is the landlord CAN make you pay until it is "Reasonably possible" to get a paying tenent in your place.
    So IIRC you are talking may 2nd. Its not reasonable they cold find/ background check/etc a tenent by then. So you are on hook for at least a month. (unless YOU find suitable tenent they approve by Thursday)
    Read the contract, have lawyer read contract. Often it spells out what is what.
    The GF thinking unsafe area... Dang hard sell IMO. Now lost job/have to move in with parents as won't be able to pay rent in two months. That they might go for.
    IMO you jumped before you were ready. It happens. Odds are it will cost you at least a months rent. (best case)
    There may be legal assistance in community for free. Ask around. Go to city offices and ask.
    You made contract. Expect to have to pay to break it.

19. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

How much money have you put down so far?

Th people who told you how bad the place is, can they document specific incidents for you? If yes, take a list and go talk to the owner. Explain your concerns. Beg for mercy.

The bigger question is, if you have to move from where you are now by the 2nd, and you do not want the place you're asking about, where you going to live in three days?

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak