close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any VW TDI Owners?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vafish, Jun 13, 2012.

1. vafish

vafish

Thinking about getting the Jetta Sport Wagon (bit of an oxymoron) TDI.

Looking for input from owners. Mileage, problems, would you buy another?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I don't have one but I know a few people who do. They're fairly hard to find around here, everybody wants one. They're good little cars.

Expensive to service, though.

I've been trying to get my buddy to sell me his. If I found one used I'd buy it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

3. HexHead

HexHead

I had the older generation, 2003 Golf TDI for 5 years. Absolutely the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Other than the 10,000 mile service intervals, I needed both headlight bulbs replaced. That was it. I used to to get about 40mpg around town and up to 50mpg on the highway. I could drive from Nashville to New Orleans on 3/4 tank.

We almost bought another one but opted for a Prius instead. I had my Golf and my wife had a Rabbit (also reliable) and had been driving basically the same car for ten years and didn't want to still be driving the "same" car for another ten.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I know a woman in our church that has one. (A Golf, I think.) Has to be 15+ years old. I keep telling her that she should will it to me. LOL

5. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid

I've got 2000 New Beetle TDI. I love it!! I get about 42 around town, running my errands and 46-48 on the interstate trips. I has a tremendous amount of torque for a small car. I pull my small skiff/flats boat very well and get 35-38 mpg while doing so. I've got about 175K miles on mine now and it is going strong. I've had no engine work during those 175K miles. In fact the only major thing I've had is the replacement of the ac compressor at about 150K miles. My tire last about 80-90K miles. My rear brakes were replaced at 90K and my front at 160K!! Mine is a 5 speed manual and I do use down-shifting to slow.

The only disappointment has been the interior. It is definitely showing it's age. The weird "rubberized" coating they used on everything (dash, door/window seals, etc.) scratches extremely easy and has worn off in places. the door cards were originally upholstered and that bubbled/came unglued a long time ago. I don't know if they use rubberized coating now however.

I still love this little car and when I leave the house to run errands, I get in it every time instead of our Lexus LS430.

Good luck!!

6. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I have been told that certain parts of the engine are VERY expensive to replace (as in extrordinarily expensive).

That said I don't know. I had a friend in college who had a diesel Jetta that got around 50+ MPG and would do 0-60 in around 8 seconds, or so he claimed.

7. Sgt127

Sgt127

2002 Jetta TDI. Bought new. 241,000+ miles on it right now. Averages about 45 MPG.
    Fuel injector problem at around 120,000 Miles. Cost me about $1500 to get fixed. 3 brake jobs. At around 200,000 I had the front end/suspension fixed, and last brake job. About $2000 (local mechanic)

Never an engine or tranny problem. Interior is showing age. 2 power window buttons broken. Cruise quit working at about 200,000.

I won't spend any more money on it, other than oil changes and tires if it needs them. I more than got my money out of it. I will likely buy another.

8. Dennis in MA

. . . dropping it out of a cargo plane at 50,000 feet.

Jetta Diesel's can't do that. Peppy, but not THAT peppy.

9. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

I have a touareg TDI... getting about 27mpg. it now has 66K miles (it's a 2010). Couple minor things....replaced headlights yesterday, Brakes about 6 months ago (If you're not a DIY'er they're about $2800 for pads and rotors. Did it myself for just under $1000

I don't love the VW interiors...much cheaper looking fit/finish than their Audi/Porsche brothers...

A BUNCH of people I work with have been buying jetta TDI wagons (we drive a lot and carry a lot of stuff). They are all happy (except one woman....she has had some issues, seems like she's in a loaner vehicle a lot), but I'm unsure what the issues have been.

10. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Is that $1000 just for the pads and rotors? :wow:

11. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

'03 Jetta TDI here, 200+K, normal maintenance, sway bar bushings (15 minute job), wiper motor, front wheel bearings, brakes. 48 honest (GPS verified odometer) mpg average, little lower in winter, better in summer. I take care of the car and despite living in winter salt country, the interior and exterior are still in very good shape.

I would think twice about a late model car because of the EPA emissions hoops required for a diesel now. As for the car I have, I wish I'd bought two so I'd have another when this one wears out. It shows no signs whatever of that now, though.

ETA: Like Sgt127 above, my cruise took a crap last summer. Replaced the module that's part of the turn signal ass'y under the steering wheel, easy job.

12. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Not 100% sure it was a Jetta but I think it was. It was the one about the size of an Accord maybe.

This was also in the late '90s but I don't know how old the car was. He really liked the car overall.

13. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Why wouldn't you have went with aftermarket parts. :dunno:

14. uptomyneck

uptomyneck

My wife drives a 2011 Sportwagon TDI. Lots of room in the back for cargo. 52+ MPG at 60 mph. Good acceleration with a little lag at first. Fairly big blindspots on each quarter. If she had to do it again, she would. I enjoy driving it. Not uncomfortable on long drives.

15. Dennis in MA

I've never officially timed one. I drove a 89 or 90. It clearly was significantly slower off the line than a gasoline-powered equivalent.

Mid-2000's level TDI Jettas run about 10+ seconds.

It COULD be - the current Jetta TDI runs about 8.

I found late-80s/early-90's VW products, across the line, to be the same. Rough harsh interiors that broke down around you. But the power plant lasted for a long time.

16. vafish

vafish

According to reviews I've read on line the 2009-2012 jetta TDI do 8.8-8.9 seconds 0-60. As good or better then the gas versions.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'll go take one for a test drive.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

That was aftermarket...The touareg (and cayanne, and Q7 too) all use brembo brakes

18. USAF96815

USAF96815

I ever make it back to Germany, I am certainly going to look at them. I've heard nothing but pos things about the newer ones from folks over there that are driving them.

19. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Check out this forum for everything TDI:

http://www.tdiclub.com/

I've owned TDIs for years. Bought wife a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG. Would have gotten the 6-speed manual, but wifey...

Anyway, the missus is a leadfoot, gets consistent 33 mpg in all-city driving. Gets about 45 mpg hiway. Not broken in yet, <10k miles. Issue with cruise control/odometer. All fixed under warranty. No service costs first three years.

About to buy Beetle tdi in fall. Will have three tdis then.

I won't buy anything non-diesel now.

20. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP