any unique loads for 165gr tmj .40S&W

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ssgrock3, Feb 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ssgrock3

ssgrock3

I cannot find my notes for these. I am pretty sure I was using unique.

2. jstang

jstang

not unique but i use 5.3 gr of Bullseye with a 1.123 oal for 165 gr Rainers

3. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr

Can't find your notes or your reloading manual(s)?

For Unique, Sierra lists a minimum of 5.2g. for 850FPS with a max. of 7.0 for 1150FPS.

But if you believe and use info like this that any IDIOT can post in a forum, you're WAY more foolish than I am. Buy at least One Book / One Caliber's The Complete Reloading Manual for the 10mm / .40 S&W .

http://loadbooks.com/

$10.95 delivered to you.

4. ssgrock3

ssgrock3

I do appreciate the safety Sarcasm in your post...I guess. I was looking for ideas, because I had worked up a load that I liked and cannot find it )on a loose piece of paper) that i stuck in my reloading manual speer #14, and after reading your post I am betting I put in my other larger universal metal cartridge loading manual. But I do apprecaite you looking out. Not everyone who poses questions like this is an idoit and is gonna run out and use it without there own research.

5. XDRoX

XDRoX

My manual has this:
    165 gr TMJ FN
    COAL: 1.120"
    Unique
    Starting: 6.2
    Max: 7.2

6. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Just a suggestion. . . . .

Get a loose-leaf notebook, and put handwritten notes into a plastic 'sleeve' and keep the notebook on the shelf, in your reloading room.

Or, when I started reloading, I got a 'ledger' book with columns and I wrote the different recipes in this book and logged every aspect of the different loads.

A spreadsheet or a Word doc with this information will keep your 'recipes' organized, too.

7. ssgrock3

ssgrock3

Thanks for everyones input. I am going to start working up from the minimum in the speer manual and probably get to the 6.5gr that I am remembering, but it is not hard to work up a load, especially in pistols, but all weaponry, better safe than sorry.

did I tell you all the story of the new reloader who we just could not tell anything....couldn't show him loads in a manual, this is pre-internet, he loaded a .45-70 case full of smokeless modern powder, that was a really pretty Ruger #1 before he pulled the trigger that day...It is always a good reminder to tell someone to work up a load, Just a bit sensitive and took it personal when someone uses the word Idiot in response to a post..No big deal..

8. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

6 gr ought to be good start...might not even need to work up from there, unless craving some arbitary velocity number, or, unless needing 1000 fps min for uspsa major PF....

9. ssgrock3

ssgrock3

Thank you sir. Oops, didn't see the Msgt, Your a working man as we used to say in the army. That probably is a good place to start, as I have gotten older, I have found that softer shooting ammo seems to be more fun, no scared of it, just don't need it to kill paper, or most anything else for that matter.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  10. fredj338

fredj338

I load 6.5gr under a Berry's 165grFP @ 1.125" OAL, pretty close to the TMJ. It makes 1065fps in my 4006.