Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"ve got some Pearce baseplates I wanted to swap out for the OEM models.

I've got to admit....the pesky things aren't coming off as easily as I assumed they would. Depressing the little "pin" but the plate doesn't want to slide off. I tend to get heavy handed with such things and didn't want to break anything.

Figured I'd see if there is a trick to it.

Thanks.

· Philippians 4: 6-7
12,926 Posts
You are not the only one that has had problems. There's a rumor that Gaston Glock doesn't know how to remove them either. :whistling:

Reactions: DubfromGA

· Registered
14,107 Posts
You have to push the baseplate by 2 tabs that are molded in, it can be hard. As was mentioned, if you squeeze the mag in as you are pushing they come off pretty easy.

· Registered
335 Posts
http://www.mygtul.com/ Removing baseplates to me is a pain..... these guys make a tool to squeeze the sides of the magazine to deal with the two tabs while you try to slide off the baseplate. i have done several to put on the mag finger extensions for my Glock 27 for .40 and converted barrel 9mm magazines... Without this tool, i've tried wide grip pliers also. It's just no fun. Some folks are a whiz at it.

· Registered
2,705 Posts
I've been to the armorer school and been carrying Glocks for 15 years.
Sometimes the baseplates come off easily, and other times, especially on new mags, they are a real PITA.
I've bent more than one Glock tool, and cracked a few baseplates, on the stubborn ones.

You can squeeze the mag body with your fingers or a tool.
I do it differently now-

Push the retaining pin all the way into the mag. Be sure it stays in. Remove the Glock tool.
Find a flat hard surface, not too slippery. You will ruin your wife's nice wood table top if you use it, I prefer a hard counter top.
Push one of the rear corners of the baseplate hard against the counter top, while you push forward on the baseplate with your thumb. Works better for me than anything else.

· Registered
1,779 Posts
You need to push the locking plate nib in with the largest diameter punch and HOLD it down before and while pressing in on the sides, otherwise, pressing in on the side with a tool keeps the blocking plate from being depressed.

I use an ice pick with the end cut off and rounded a bit, and a Vise Grip clamp with rubber caps to press in on the sides nearest the locking tabs AFTER depressing and holding down the locking nib.

· Registered
2,624 Posts
C-clamp the sides to get past those tabs and then use a punch or Glock tool to pry the baseplate off. I usually try to protect the sides of the magazine with some thin cardboard or heavy paper before I tighten the C-clamp.

· Registered
3,966 Posts
Wow. I'm an old man and a little guy. I've never had a problem getting base plates off of Glock mags. Old mags, brand new mags, small mags, large mags. All that is needed is a Glock tool. I don't clamp, squeeze, push corners. Just insert the Glock tool all the way, keep it vertical and pull it to the left while you pull the mag to the right (or the other way if you're right handed).

· Registered
6,861 Posts
I don't know if it's as much a difficulty as it is a fear of breaking something. The first one I did was a beast, because I didn't want to break it. After that, it was a piece of cake, because I knew I wasn't going to break anything.

· Registered
815 Posts
I"ve got some Pearce baseplates I wanted to swap out for the OEM models.

I've got to admit....the pesky things aren't coming off as easily as I assumed they would. Depressing the little "pin" but the plate doesn't want to slide off. I tend to get heavy handed with such things and didn't want to break anything.

Figured I'd see if there is a trick to it.

Thanks.
GTUL ---makes it soooo easy...
http://www.mygtul.com/node/15775

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I knew I should've picked up one of the Glock tools.

I'll rectify that asap. I've got one on the way.

I did find a suitable substitute.........a metal shishkabob skewer that let me go in....depress the magazine insert and pry backwards slightly while squeezing the sides of the magazine with my other hand. Took under a minute to remove.....and replace with the new Pearce part.

Piece of cake.....I was just resisting the urge to do as I normally do and force it. Didn't want to break anything.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Another GT success story due to timely insight and a trusty grilling tool at the ready.

:grill:

· Registered
907 Posts
Basically everyone with experience falls into 2 broad groups:

1. Those who squeeze, using C-clamp, wise, wise-grips, or even pliers.

2. Those who simply rip the tabs off by the Glock tool (any screwdriver works too).

On the big Glocks, I prefer method #1. This is gentle and does not destroy the tabs. Not that anyone should care about those tabs, since other pistol brands don't have them and they work just fine, using the baseplate lock hole alone. Still, it just seems rude.

However, on Glock 42, there's not enough give for the traditional #1 method. I know it's not stopping some, but eventually I started expanding the baseplate outward by way of 2 small screwdrivers. That's gentle enough on the littliest Glock, although I get tabs scratched a little anyway.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.