close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Tricks on Removing a Glock Front Sight?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ljskot, Nov 20, 2006.

1. ljskot

ljskot

I have a G17 and would like to remove the Glock Factory front sight so I can install a HiViz fiber optic sight. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the factory front sight without any fancy tool?

2. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

If it's a stake on sight, Use some pliers and twist it right off! Be careful not to marr the finish!

3. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

For the factory sight, that's al there is to it.

4. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

If it's the plastic sight, yell at it, it'll fall off.

5. Desertscout

Desertscout CLM Millennium Member

I just received the 4th NIB G23 in a row with the front sight laying in the bottom of the box when we received it. Very poor design.

6. Kal El in SLO

Kal El in SLO

if it's a stake-on site.....and you would like to the ability to reuse it someday, then i wouldnt just yank it off.

you can use a pic or something and pry the little pin out from the bottom. once the pin is removed, the front sight can just be pushed out. no pliers needed.

7. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

+1. Once you remove the little pin, and turning the slide over, the front sight will practicaly fall out with gravity.

:thumbsup:

8. GTO

GTO

The stock sight has a wedge inside, if you want to "save" the sight, remove the wedge first. :thumbsup:

Only monkeys rip parts out with pliers. :blondmoment:

The new sight will need the tool and it's best to have a sight pusher for the rear.

9. vafish

vafish

When I replaced my G36's sights I had no desire to save the front sight.

I ripped it off with a pair of pliers. Tapped the rear out with a nylon drift that came with the replacement sights. Threw both front and rear sight in the trash.

New front sight is held in with a screw and some locktite. Rear has 2 set screws and they are locktite'd as well.

10. ljskot

ljskot

Well, I got it off. I pushed it out with a sharp punch. I doubt that it would go back on. No worrys! They are pretty inexpensive. Thanks for your input guys!

11. bobehud

bobehud

Hey V as another G36 defender...lo...(see IM laughing) what sights were those.I like the whole fiber optic site but want something i can pick up alot faster than the Glock sites.Feel like you do when thier off thier gone.

12. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I don't think it is a bad design. I think someone at the factory isn't doing their job. Every time I get a new Glock, and if I don't immediately put steel sights on it, I take a small screwdriver and push the little pin in further than they did at the factory. I can hear it click into place, and I have never had one fall out. Someone at the factory is just barely inserting them, and if the legs were never spread properly because of that, the front sight is going to fall out. Since you are a huge Glock mover, I would think you could grab their ear, and let them know someone needs to stop smoking that peyote. This front sight thing is making them look bad, as I have seen the same thing at one of the local dealers. Thing is, he didn't notice it until I pointed it out to him.

13. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Inexpensive my butt. If you do decide to throw one back on. Call Glock and they will send you two or three replacements for FREE!

14. Tac Four

Tac Four Curmudgeon

I did the same with my 36. I put the punch on top of the stake and the sight popped right out with a light tap.