close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Trappers out ther in GT Land?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by nyredneck, Aug 27, 2003.

1. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

I ask this because I started trapping with my Father since before I can remeber. I haven't set a trap in a few years, but this year I've made up my mind to remedy that. As the season draws closer, I actually find myself getting REALLY excited. Just wondering if any other Gt'ers run a trapline.;f

2. tjpet

tjpet

Trapped plenty in college and for years after. Made enough to buy books, help with tuition, and keep myself in beer. Quit serious trapping 15 years ago but still run a small beaver line just to keep my hand in now.

3. tjpet

tjpet

Trapped plenty in college and for years after. Made enough to buy books, help with tuition, and keep myself in beer. Quit serious trapping 15 years ago but still run a small beaver line just to keep my hand in now.

4. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

5. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

6. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

seriously though, have you seen the projected fur prices? They've been on a steady ,albiet slow , increase the last few years. It's not something you do to get rich, by any means, but a few extra dollars in my pocket doesn't hurt the equation either!;f

7. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I lived with two friends grandparents most of the summer and early fall when I was a pre-teen. We used to trap rats and mink in the fall - check the traps before and after school. We spent the summer helping the old farts with their chores - milking, haying, etc. In the fall, we trapped and hunted deer. It was great fun and a great way to grow up. Idle hands...

Later I got into fox and coyote trapping. 30 years ago I could get $250-300 for a nice fox. With inflation that's easily $1000 today. So, it was well worth my time. I was too busy to dirt trap - I still want to try that some day. But, I got pretty good at snow sets.

I still have my No2 jumps - maybe I'll wax them up and try my luck again some day - if prices ever get high enough...

I never got into beaver trapping. A friend did it - I used to go with him to check his sets. Watching him re-set those 330 Conibears with bare hands in -20F temperature was enough to turn me off it. Beaver is a lot of work - chopping ice, skinning, fleshing, etc - lots of work for the money.

8. canis latrans

canis latrans

9. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

My Father, who is 56, Beaver traps every fall, has for most of his life, and every year him and his partner catch over 100 beaver. Not the biggest number, I'll grant you, but the work that goes into it is onsane!;g