Any SWL/DXers out there?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Stainz, May 19, 2007.

1. Stainz

Stainz

I started building my first radio in Bayside, LI, NY when Kennedy was running for Prez. Ultimately, I built a 2 transistor regen receiver - got up to 6MHz (49mb) - and heard R. Moscow, etc. My first 'real' receiver was a Lafayette HE-10 - 8/62 - followed by a few QSL cards from HCJB, Quito, Ecuador, and some European countries. I've never been far from a decent receiver ever since. In fact, on my small desk - the childhood one that held up my HE-10 so many years ago - I have a Drake R8, JRC NRD-525, and Lowe HF/PR-150 - and a Sony ICF2010 by the bed. Sadly, my aerials are either on the ground or in boxes... only hanks of wire, which pickup tremendous digital hash from the computers, etc, in the house, now exist.

When I retired from my college instructor appointment (7/95), I had taught many courses - included among the electronics classes were several telecommunications courses. I had also 'chiefed' at several FM stations over the years, having gotten my 1st Class Radiotelephone license 9/68 - even before my USN stint as an ET. I didn't get to firearms until a dozen or so years back - my kids being grown and my first wife, a hot head I NEVER had more than a bp c&b revolver around, also gone. Single again, I bought a G21 for 'protection'. I remarried to a gun liker - and started collecting/shooting/reloading revolvers, having sold that G21 - with it's +2 extended (15 rd!) mags - to a disgruntled postal employee. I don't like 'chasing brass'.

Many of my favorite SW stations are gone - and have been gone for a while. Still, it is fun hearing English language broadcasts beamed to the US by foreign countries, even if it is government sponsored propaganda. I did write, occasionally, for a few club, national and international, periodicals - and 'chased' QSL's - even got near 180 countries verified, by NASWA's standards. I have a collection of 'neat' (Okay, probably just to me!) QSL cards and letters, from LW through the SW bands, from Vanuatu and Falkland Islands to WRNO in New Orleans. Fun hobby... but, so is plinking with my handguns!

Any other SWL/DXers out there?

Stainz

2. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Stainz

Greetings. I use to listen on an old Hallicrafter SX-99 with 50' of wire stuck in the back. Most of my listening anymore is MilComs and utility (i.e. aircraft and marine). Do the SW stations still play the little repeating tunes at the beginning of the broadcast? I remember hearing the two or three measure tune over and over again just prior to the boradcasts.

73 de WI9NDY Rich

3. Stainz

Stainz

I am sure many of them still use the same IS (Interval Signal). The WRTH (World Radio TV Handbook - an annual publication listing radio/TV stations - and their schedules - from around the world.) did list them. Rich, I lived in Indianapolis - went to Carl Wilde School #79 for the eighth grade 61-2, and 9th in G. Washington HS 62-3 - I lived in Eagledale - next to Speedway. I got the HE-10 and used a long wire antenna while I was there.

John (aka 'Stainz')