Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My German Rottie was spayed the other day and the vet said that she should be back to normal today. The problem is she will only eat if I hold it in my hand or hold the bowl of water. I feel so bad for her. Right now she is laying on my feet. She was so cute last nite. We woke up with her between us like a child. I've never had a dog not eat or drink afterwards. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd post a picture but have no clue how to download the pictures.

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
When we had our Missy (cat) spayed, she refused to eat for two days. She came in and immediately hid, refusing to come out from behind the bed. The vet told me to absolutely not feed her anything special at that time. Just her normal food. Well, the second day she wouldn't eat, I got her some shrimp hoping to bribe her into eating. It *was* her favorite food but after that, she has refused it. I don't know if she associated it with the trauma or what but she won't go near it now.

Be careful about hand feeding her like that. She might get really spoiled and expect it from now on.

:hugs:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we had our Missy (cat) spayed, she refused to eat for two days. She came in and immediately hid, refusing to come out from behind the bed. The vet told me to absolutely not feed her anything special at that time. Just her normal food. Well, the second day she wouldn't eat, I got her some shrimp hoping to bribe her into eating. It *was* her favorite food but after that, she has refused it. I don't know if she associated it with the trauma or what but she won't go near it now.

Be careful about hand feeding her like that. She might get really spoiled and expect it from now on.

:hugs:
Yeah after she realized I would hand feed her and hold her water dish she refused to do anything today. So, at dinner she decided she wanted to eat so she got off the chair (where she was there ALL day) and sat by me and placed her paw on my leg (her saying please). And of course I felt bad since she really hadn't eaten so I gave her my chicken. After that we gave her her dog food and told her to eat that. When she realized we weren't going to hand feed her she ate her food. I think it's funny how people think Rotties are really mean dogs. They haven't met Roxi. She's a 100 pound Chihuahua! :shocked:

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
The Rotties I have known aren't mean at all. Very loving and gentle.

The neighbors have had several Dobies that I have had a LOT of experience with. At one point, she told me she was going to sue me for child support for spoiling one of them. I had to go stay with the phone guy once so he would fix their lines. He was afraid of the huge evil looking baby. :rofl:

Wow. I miss that dog. :crying:

·
IWannaBeSedated
11,448 Posts
Boiled hamburger and white rice.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Rotties I have known aren't mean at all. Very loving and gentle.

The neighbors have had several Dobies that I have had a LOT of experience with. At one point, she told me she was going to sue me for child support for spoiling one of them. I had to go stay with the phone guy once so he would fix their lines. He was afraid of the huge evil looking baby. :rofl:

Wow. I miss that dog. :crying:

My Aunt had a dobie. She was a great dog. She loved me but not very many other people. My Uncle had an Airdale. He scared everyone, not sure why. I've always been able to go into his pin and feed and water him. I had to take care of him one time my Aunt and Uncle were gone. The boyfriend came with me and started teasing him. NOT a good idea. He said it was ok because Cory was in his pin. The same pin that he would jump (10 feet high) to down a deer walking by (they lived in the country). He didn't believe me that Cory would jump the fence. All I could say to him AFTER was "what part didn't you understand...the jumping the fence or attacking you?" I have been bit by small dogs (4 all together) and so I'm deathly afraid of small dogs. I guess that is why I have HUGE dogs. My Rottie is so gentle with kids. And very protective over kids that have special needs. It's amazing how she feels she needs to watch over them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boiled hamburger and white rice.
Thanks so much I will try that tonite. I had to take her back to the vet this morning because she started bleeding. I thought she tore some stitches. They were still there but the last one was "leaking" really bad. She would stand and blood would just come out in a stream. Now she has gauze pads on it and has an ace bandage wrapped around her. The cone didn't help and even tried using 2 t-shirts like the vet suggested. She would find a way to slip out of the shirts. He also said the reason why she isn't eating like she should because she is still in pain. She seems so depressed. I know it's too late but I'm thinking I shouldn't have gotten her fixed now.

·
Registered
977 Posts
This does not sound normal - have you thought about a second opinion? Of particular concern is that when she stood, blood was coming out. Having done a fair amount of rescue, I've been through quite a number of spays and neuters, and never seen something like that. In fact, I just had two of my own females spayed last summer and they bounced back beautifully. No depression, no lack of app, absolutely no bleeding or leaking of any kind.

Generally mine don't need to wear anything when done by this particular vet. The dogs don't even seem to notice there is an incision, and they didn't use anything (stitches, stables) that needed to be removed. It was all internal.

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
No, you should have. In a few days she will be just fine, and so much better off in the long run. :hugs:

When our Itty Bitty Kitty was so little and sick, we boiled liver then turned it into mush with the broth for her. I bet it would do good things for your Rottie, too.

When I was a kid, our preacher used to tell a story about his dog. He was kept in a six-foot fence during the day. He would put the dog out in the morning, then get him when he got home. People kept telling him that they were seeing him out all day. It was finally determined that he jumped the fence as soon as he left home each day then raced back and jumped back into the fence when he heard his car coming. :rofl:

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
This does not sound normal - have you thought about a second opinion? Of particular concern is that when she stood, blood was coming out.
This sent red flags up to me, too!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are very worried about her since the other 2 had no problems. We have to change the gauze pads almost every 2-3 hours because they are completely soaked. Last night I had to sleep on the couch because she wouldn't budge on my bed. She was like dead weight. Hopefully by tomorrow it will have stopped if not I have to take her back in. Plus what's really weird is she has milk leaking. Our other female didn't go through that either. Do you think it could have been the age difference of when they were fixed? Daisy Mae was around 9 months and Roxi (my Rottie) is 2.
And it was a hard decision to make since she is worth so much but I couldn't breed her knowing that one of her babies would go to a bad home. Plus, this will help her be healthier.
She wouldn't eat her normal food but did eat some of (half of really) my steak tonite. She still wants to LAY in someone's lap and sleep and grumbles when you make her get down. When she does that I will take her cone off and let her take a break from that. I just feel so bad for her. I really hope she does better this weekend.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Our other female didn't go through that either. Do you think it could have been the age difference of when they were fixed? Daisy Mae was around 9 months and Roxi (my Rottie) is 2.
This is not even remotely normal - I would be very very worried about an infection setting in, if it hasn't already. And no - the age difference wouldn't cause this. I have adult dogs spayed/neutered regularly, and this is still not normal. Adults will sometimes seem a bit more sore, but nothing to this excess.

I uploaded a photo for you so you can see what it SHOULD look like. Adult females getting spayed at the vet I use (which is not my regular vaccination and basic stuff vet) go in first thing in the AM. They are spayed, then in recovery at the clinic all day, through the night, and I can pick up anytime after noon the following day. This photo was taken of a 1 1/2 - 2 yr old female the afternoon that I returned home with her. So about 30 hours after surgery.

When done by this vet, there is no licking, no scratching, no biting of the incision. Previously it was done by my regular vac. vet, who is supposed to be very good. First of all, they used external means of closing them up (the above photo is all internal!), and many times dogs were having problems afterwards (though never to the extent of leaking excessive fluids like your dog is). So I stopped using them for surgeries, and it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is not even remotely normal - I would be very very worried about an infection setting in, if it hasn't already. And no - the age difference wouldn't cause this. I have adult dogs spayed/neutered regularly, and this is still not normal. Adults will sometimes seem a bit more sore, but nothing to this excess.

I uploaded a photo for you so you can see what it SHOULD look like. Adult females getting spayed at the vet I use (which is not my regular vaccination and basic stuff vet) go in first thing in the AM. They are spayed, then in recovery at the clinic all day, through the night, and I can pick up anytime after noon the following day. This photo was taken of a 1 1/2 - 2 yr old female the afternoon that I returned home with her. So about 30 hours after surgery.

When done by this vet, there is no licking, no scratching, no biting of the incision. Previously it was done by my regular vac. vet, who is supposed to be very good. First of all, they used external means of closing them up (the above photo is all internal!), and many times dogs were having problems afterwards (though never to the extent of leaking excessive fluids like your dog is). So I stopped using them for surgeries, and it's been fine ever since.
We went to him because he did such a great job with our other dog, Duke. They do the laser method there. Duke never had any problems (just the normal "I want these stitches out"). He did give me some pills (to fight off any infection) when I took her in for her 3 day check. I didn't think she would need a cone so I tried using the t-shirt method, but I had to get the cone afterall for her. When we woke up this morning her guaze pad was free of blood just wet from the milk. I called the vet again and he said sometimes (rare but it does happen) they will have milk come in but in a couple days she should be dry.

·
Registered
333 Posts
We have to change the gauze pads almost every 2-3 hours because they are completely soaked. Last night I had to sleep on the couch because she wouldn't budge on my bed. She was like dead weight.
This is certainly not normal. Lethargy and not eating can be pain, but also can be internal bleeding. Watch her carefully. Often bleeding will stop through normal clotting mechanisms, so she may recover fine. But you need to stay in close contact with your veterinarian over the next few days.

Plus what's really weird is she has milk leaking...Do you think it could have been the age difference of when they were fixed?
Age has nothing to do with the recovery, but the milk is related to hormone swings, which are in turn related to age and to timing of the reproductive cycle.

She wouldn't eat her normal food but did eat some of (half of really) my steak tonite.
DON'T feed table food! You don't want to be dealing with an upset stomach or pancreatitis on top of the spay!

Is she on pain relievers, either from the veterinarian or from your medicine cabinet? Herbal supplements?

We all hope she continues to do well. Watch her closely, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is certainly not normal. Lethargy and not eating can be pain, but also can be internal bleeding. Watch her carefully. Often bleeding will stop through normal clotting mechanisms, so she may recover fine. But you need to stay in close contact with your veterinarian over the next few days.

Age has nothing to do with the recovery, but the milk is related to hormone swings, which are in turn related to age and to timing of the reproductive cycle.

DON'T feed table food! You don't want to be dealing with an upset stomach or pancreatitis on top of the spay!

Is she on pain relievers, either from the veterinarian or from your medicine cabinet? Herbal supplements?

We all hope she continues to do well. Watch her closely, and keep us posted.

No she isn't on any pain relievers. We bought her some of her favorite soft food tonite and she snarfed it down! And when we came home earlier she met us at the door (first time since being spayed). Her incision looks alot better since using the neosporin. She seems happier now but man she had us worried. I'll be taking her back in on Monday for another check-up.

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
Keep watching her. Let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
977 Posts
No she isn't on any pain relievers. We bought her some of her favorite soft food tonite and she snarfed it down! And when we came home earlier she met us at the door (first time since being spayed). Her incision looks alot better since using the neosporin. She seems happier now but man she had us worried. I'll be taking her back in on Monday for another check-up.
Why isn't she receiving pain relievers? She had surgery. I know a spay/neuter is often seen as "routine," but surgery is surgery. Please get the poor girl some pain relief. Imagine if you had surgery and your stomach was cut open and operated on. :faint:

·
Registered
687 Posts
You referenced the use of neosporin. Make sure the incisions heals from the inside out not the other way. If it heals outside in, she could end up with an infection pocket in the incision that could create problems. I am not trying to cause you undue stress, just bringing this up as someting to keep an eye on.
Hope she continues to heal and returns to her normal self.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, vet said that she is doing great now. It's amazing what a "good weekend" can do for someone...even a dog! And I would have to agree. I came back from dropping my son off at work and as I opened up the front door Roxi came running down the stairs with that look of "I didn't do it" and with a stuffing in her mouth from one of stuffed my daughter's stuffed animal collection. :whistling: Somehow, I don't think what I think is funny Jacquelynne will! But at least Roxi is feeling better and back to her old self!

Thank you all so much for your help! Ya'll are just GREAT people!!!! :angel:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts