Any SRO's here?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by vista461, Feb 12, 2013.

1. vista461

vista461

If so, how do you like it?

2. Badger54

Badger54 CLM

3. vista461

vista461

School Resource Officer

4. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

I is. And I love it. I have been a patrolman for the last seven of ten years and went back to schools in September. I have been very busy with periods of boredom. This is one of those jobs where you will be as busy as you want to be. I am having a blast.

This gig is all about attitude. If you go into butt hurt you will resent it. I really think that this is an opportunity to make a difference.

5. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

I work one day a week as one for a part time job. It is really easy, but very boring. I would hate life if it was a full time assignment

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  6. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  7. RetailNinjitsu

RetailNinjitsu

I was for 2 years and hated it. I felt like a man trapped on an island.

Over 150 teachers, 18 administrators, well over 2000 students and all of their parents...and 1 of me.

I loved the kids and the teaching aspect of the job but I got sick of getting caught in the middle of a power struggle.

Also, it was necessary to prevent anyone from believing that I was a friend...I did have to arrest several staff members during my time there and I was accused of being a "traitor" :upeyes:

If you like politics, small-time BS that is always made into a huge ordeal, and long periods of boredom...go for it!

Sorry for being Debbie-downer...but that's the scoop. I learned quickly that teachers do not live in the same world we do. Most graduated from high school, went immediately to college...then to grad school...and right back to high school as a teacher without ever stepping foot into the real world...and it shows big time!

They are wonderful people but truly live up to the "ivory tower" reputation. They work "half-days"...half a year...their day is controlled by a schedule and a bell.

It was frustrating that none of them could relate to double tours, working weekends/holidays (or working anytime after 1445 lol)...they live in a protected bubble far from reality.

I had a kid in the building that had a warrant for 2 armed robberies and I thought the teachers were going to form a lynch mob and string me up for arresting him.

Okay I'm done! Some guys love it...I hated it. Good luck!

If you go for it...take advantage of the opportunity to teach. The kids are great and create a very rewarding experience.

8. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

I have to say this. I am not on campus to do anything other than to enforce state laws. It is far different than when I did it the first time.

9. vista461

vista461

Well, it sounds like a lot of other things. Sometimes it's good, sometimes not so much. Lol

10. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Unfortunately, many agencies treat SRO positions as punishment, or to put employees in the schools to "hide them".

If you have a supportive admin, and school admin that understands why you are really there, it probably can be a decent gig.

11. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

+1000