close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any shark fishermen out there?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by spetsnaz777, Apr 18, 2003.

1. spetsnaz777

spetsnaz777 Team 9mmx19

Anyone here actively angle for shark? I was looking to take a trip off of Durban in RSA this summer and was looking for some info.

2. noway

noway

Come down to florida , I bet you can find a shark or two or if not they can find you. I actively catch my shark from my Publix Grocey store ( joke )

3. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

a good site for the info your looking for

www.coast-shark.com

there is a guy on there named "Bronzie" that is a guide in SA for sharks from the beach, i'm sure he could get you all the info you'd ever need.

i fish for them in florida, both by boat and from shore. the waters getting warm and the big boys will be here soon;f

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Two of my buddies and myself went a couple of months ago. We actually went out with the intention of catching redfish, but we couldn't find any bait anywhere except for big mullet.

So, we took what we could and headed about .25 miles off shore. Now, were were near Devoux Bank just N of Edisto -- the shark capital of SC.

We knew it was going to be a good day because while we were in the creeks, we passed by a 5' hammerhead in 2' of water in a creek 6' wide.

Anyhow, we caught a few, but the best one was the 3.5' Atlantic Sharpnose that we got in the boat. My buddy was holding it while I was trying to remove the hook and the shark shook and the guy dropped the shark.

The poor fella was bleeding pretty bad b/c of the hook so there was blood flying everywhere. But, the best part was when the shark bit my buddy's brand new Abu rod IN HALF.

5. spetsnaz777

spetsnaz777 Team 9mmx19

6. glockman97420

glockman97420

I caught a 6-7 ft Blue Shark while Tuna fishing 100 miles offshore. We were shut down for the night, so I took some tuna cord, and attatched a stainless steel leader with a big treble hook on the end. I used one of our smaller sized albacore for bait. I simply tied the tuna cord to the boats tie rail and dropped the rig over the side and went in the galley for some dinner. When I returned to check it, the shark was on and totally freaking out. It had also wound the line around itself trying to escape. I put on some leather welding gloves and started pulling it up. When I got it beside the boat, I yelled for my brother to grab my Glock from inside. By the time he found it, the shark won the battle and broke free. I'd love to get one on a fishing pole though and be properly prepared to land it!

7. RWD

RWD

Not on purpose! I fish the Keys frequently and cought a few bonnet sharks. Little guys like 2-3' long. They put up a good fight though.

8. OH37

OH37

glockman97420, thanks for the laugh! Let me explain. I have this one goofy uncle, and he always yells, "CARP!!! Get the net!!!" When I read your post, I could just hear, "SHARK!!! Get the Glock!!!" It's probably not funny to others, you'd just have to know my uncle.
    Thanks again...

9. gatorfish

gatorfish

Not on purpose! you should. bonnetheads and blacktips in the 2-3 foot range are absolutely delicious! we target them all the time.

Bulls in the 5-7 foot range are a blast to catch.

If you want shark come to florida, they are everywhere and easy to catch

10. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I caught a blacktip about 28 inches long off of the pier in St Simmons Island GA,,it was a great fight--jump--jump---pretty exciting--going back there to fish for shark/tarpon this year..

11. glockman97420

glockman97420

You just about hit it right on the money OH37! Glad you got a kick out of it.

12. Edge

Edge Millennium Member

I'm likely going to Florida next month (March). Any recommendations for fishing for shark or other fish?

13. gatorfish

gatorfish

where exactly?

14. noway

noway

You would be surprise on the number of sharks caught by accident off the piers here in F. Everytime I go to Deerfield fishing Pier, one or 2 guys end up catching a shark while fishing for a Mackerel or Cobia. Granted they can never land them on the pier but it does make a good interesting fight. I whent out and slept overnight on a pier one time and watch a guy with his buddy fight one for about 3-4hrs.

15. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I've caught a couple decent sized ones (duskies and hammer heads).

One of my favorite outfitters is Dolphin Docks in Port Aransis (Corpus Cristie), TX.

Their website is www.dolphindocks.com and they post recent trip pics.

Here is the short version of what has worked for me in the past.

Step 1.
    -catch a decent sized snapper
    Step 2.
    - cut out the backbone leaving the fillets and head attached
    Step 3.
    - use a good strong leader (3-5 ft long) with appropriately sized hook and weight (on fishing line above leader).
    Step 3.
    - let it go all the way to the bottom (usually fishing tied off to oil rig in 150-200 ft of water in gulf of mexico).
    Step 4.
    - get another rod and sight cast for barricuda until your pumpkin sized Penn starts making a clicking noise.
    Step 5.
    - Set hook with a backwards stepping slam of the rod.
    Step 6.
    - Fight shark for 1-2 hrs
    Step 7.
    - Club shark with a louisville slugger until neutrilzed enough to get him in the ICE box.