close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Serious Varmint Hunters Here? If So I Got A Few Questions?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by akapennypincher, Oct 26, 2002.

1. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

What kind of Rifle/Brand are you Currently Using, and Caliber. Bolt Action, Semi Auto?? 223, 22 Hornet, 22-250, 243??

What is the Best Buy in Scope, and What Scope Should I Buy?

Wish I had not sold my old Mauser Action, Bull Barreled 22.250, as I am living just a few miles form some Great Desert dog Hunting, and would like to get a New Rifle & Scope. ;- Input Apprieciated.. ;-

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

akapennypincher,

This is really a 'broad' discussion. I find that whatever i got in my hands at the time serves me just fine for coyotes, cats, etc.

We have shot prarie dogs on the ranch with everything from .22 cal to 7mm mag. The same for the rest as well.

I guess if i were to narrow it down... ( this is for me understand), that my old favorite bolt action remington 6mm does real good for all the varmints.. any scope i can see through well, and won't fog on me works fine for me. Sure, you can spend tons of bucks, and get some heavy duty varmit barrel this or that gun, and a expensive scope set up etc.

But, again, whatever i use, seems to kill them just as dead as the next thing. 6mm, 243, 22-250, 223, these are all very good shooting varmint guns. A sound redfield, or even a $150.00 bushnell scope will suffice for this kind of shooting. The concealment, and the 'calling,' is where you need to concentrate! You get them in, and the rest is up to you.

Good Hunting!
    CanyonMan

3. tjpet

tjpet

I own, use, and like all the calibers listed. However, my personal favorite is the .17 Remington. Easy on hides and death & destruction on the smaller species. With the relatively new Hornady 20grn. V-max it comes into it's own with a mass produced bullet that is affordable.

I think that a good, general purpose battery for the average shooter to cover all bases would be a .222-.223/.243-6mm combo.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i use a savage 12fv (26" heavy bbl synthetic stock) in .22-250 with a 3-9x40 zeiss conquest scope. whole package cost about $800. i made my own guille suit for about $50 and some spray painted dowel rods and a rubber band for shooting sticks. it all worked well on the one dog i've gotten so far. get some gloves too.

here are some good starter calls
    sceery calls the open reed calls take some practice. with these all you need to do is blow. you don't need to be great on these calls to get the dogs in. i practiced a bit in the summer and it didn't take but 2 trips before i called in my first 'yote.

.22 centerfire will tear up the pelt a more than a .17 but it's not too bad. i'm using a 52gr HPBT and the hole was there but nothing that couldn't be sewn up. i tested out a few different bullet designs and this one was the most accurate out of my gun. also the little 45gr HP's literally exploded when they hit something and i think they would mess up the pelt even more.

check this place out for some more info www.coyotegods.com i would also highly suggest getting their video. these guys are from AZ down in the southest corner. they really know their stuff.

5. Backstop

Backstop

for varmits, I have a stainless/synthetic Howa bull barrel in 22.250, with the classic Leupold vari XII in matte black. Haven't gotten a shot at a dog with it yet but it really 'sings' on the range. I have been shooting the winchester varmit ballistic tip, I think in 65 grain but dont recall exactly at the moment. Also go to google.com and search on Phil Simonski for some great varmit info.;a

6. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

Thought a .17 RIMFIRE Ruger 77/17 Might Be the HOT TICKET to send YE OLD COYOTE to the Happy Huning Ground???

Dahm Coyotes are in my Yard every a.m., but you can not shoot them in the City Limits. Against thae LAW???? DUMB ASSED LAW... All I can do is throw stones at em

Can I down a Coyote with a .17 RIMFIRE...;d ;d

7. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

yes, but the effective range will be less. the .17remington is a zippy little bugger while the .17HMR is fairly slow. looking at the ballistics i think the .17HMR would be good out to 100 yards, but much past that i wouldn't be confident of a clean kill.

i may be wrong since i'm getting all of my info from paper. maybe someone who actually has one has one has more input.

8. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

If they're close enough, don't throw stones... throw arrows. :)