close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Serious Varmint Hunters Here? If So I Got A Few Questions?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by akapennypincher, Oct 26, 2002.

1. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

What kind of Rifle/Brand are you Currently Using, and Caliber. Bolt Action, Semi Auto?? 223, 22 Hornet, 22-250, 243??

What is the Best Buy in Scope, and What Scope Should I Buy?

Wish I had not sold my old Mauser Action, Bull Barreled 22.250, as I am living just a few miles form some Great Desert dog Hunting, and would like to get a New Rifle & Scope. ;- Input Apprieciated.. ;-

2. MI10mm

MI10mm

I've been hunting varmints/predators for years. Since this is the case, I've got an assortment of rifles that I use. I've got a rimfire and a couple of .223s, and a 243 for these purposes. I also use bolt and semi auto rifles. You appear to be out West, so a 22-250 might be best for your purposes, but this is still a variable, since you have to consider what ranges you'll be shooting. The scope is also another variable determined by the ranges that you are shooting also. Here's a website that will cover some of these topics for you.
    http://www.predatormastersforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
    It's kind of tough to give you a "one answer fits all" answer to your question. Hopefully, this will help you out a bit.

3. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

MI10mm I am out West if Arizona is out West....Thanks for the Web-Site to answer most of my questions ;Q ;Q ;Q ;Q

4. m65swede

m65swede

I had my reply ready to transmit earlier, but got caught up in Eric's transfer to the new server. Here it is/was.

I use a variety of rifles depending on the circumstances and opportunity. I once lobotomized a coyote in my barnyard at midnight with a .30-06 and 110 grain Sierra HP reloads. :)

I currently use:

.22 Hornet times 2: Herter's and Ruger 77/22
    .222 Rem Mod 788
    .223 Rem times 4: Bushmaster, Savage 110FP, Rem 700 ADL, NEF
    .22-250 Rem : Rem 700 VLS
    6mm Rem : Rem 788

I've also developed varmint loads using Nosler, Hornady, or Sierra polymer tipped bullets in 6.5 Swede, .270 Win, 7mm Mauser, .308 Win, and .30-06 Springfield. The damage inflicted by some of these larger calibers is incredible.

Next project will be the .17 Rem. I've been attracted to this tiny little critter for several years and find myself weakening. :)

The website listed by MI10mm is definitely the place for answers. I post there under the same name as here.

Swede

5. Edge

Edge Millennium Member

Swede: I have a .22-250, several .223s and some others; but my favorite is my .17 Rem. Just a great little cartridge. I've shot groundhogs that just seemed to turn to jelly inside and foxes that only had a .17 cal entrance and no exit. Edge

6. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I don't know if I'm serious or not - but I try to get to South Dakota once a year. I shoot a Remington 700 VLS in 22-250. I have a Leopold 6.5X20 scope on it. I don't load the ammo - a friend loads a ton of it and enjoys it so I just furnish him with components.

M65Swede: How do you like your 6mm. I have on in a Ruger 77 that I use for deer. I just love it and it seems to kill deer way beyond its ballistics.

My Ruger seems to be more accurate than it should be. I think it's the 6mm round. It's supposed to be very accurate. I wish I had a bull-barrel 700 in 6mm.

7. Bongos

Bongos

I have a Savage 110FP in 223 that I use for varmint, My next one will be a Marlin 17VS. As for the scope, if you have $$$, try Leupold, the one on my Savage is a Swift 3-18X50mm (Swift is a low price decent scope). Good luck