any second shifters here?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Diesel McBadass, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Started working it again, got to say im loving it. Do all my chores during day with no crowds. Have the range to myself when i arrive. Dating game sucks for secondshifters but covid has that killed for now anyway. Way happier on second than first. Anyone else this way?

2. BlueBacker

BlueBacker

I've worked 2nd shift for about 16 years. I'm not very social anyways, plus my wife also works 2nd shift so it works out well. I always hated an early morning alarm clock, so that's a big advantage for me.

mike from st pe likes this.

3. nightnurse

nightnurse

I worked 2-10s my first year of nursing in a nursing home. It didn't work well with an elementary school age kid because she was in bed before I got home, and left for school before I got up. However, now that the kids are grown, it would probably work really well.

I work 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. nowadays, and have for years since hospitals don't typically have but two shifts. My youngest (born 3 years after I started nursing) has never known me to work anything else in her 18 years.

4. NMG26

NMG26

1st shift, good morning

seedub70 likes this.
  5. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

3rd shift....almost time for a beer then bed

Ross-in-Pa and NMG26 like this.
  6. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

I’m 17:30-06:30. I was not aware of any dating shutdowns. Hmm. I’m as active as ever.

7. CBennett

CBennett

I worked them all....all had advantages and disadvantages. On 2nd like you said I had my time before shift that was free...then the one nice thing was after getting home around midnight to 15 after id watch some TV and go to bed..never needed a alarm clock on that shift...I mean latest if sleep was 10 or 11...and I didnt have to leave for work till like 2:45PM

On first best thing was you were around for everything...aka you worked "normal" hours seemingly 80% of the other people do..so if someone said stop over for a BBQ or lets go fishing tonight etc,etc..I never had to explain I cant im on 2nd shift...

3rd shift...was really almost like 1st....when you were at work everyone else was sleeping...so you didnt miss anything....when you were sleeping everyone else was working...so you didnt miss anything...right baout the time everyone else was getting out of work(give or take a hour to 1.5 hours) you were just getting up..so had the dinner time-say 10PM at night to "socialize". Plus at work you got left alone no suit and tie/supervisor types...no tours no BS(normally)..

8. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

I don’t understand second shift. Are you only working 8 hours?

9. jk_226

jk_226

This is similar to my experience. The one major thing that sucked about working midnights was when on days off, the whole routine was off since you were trying to socialize or get things done during the time of day when you usually slept. Another thing that sucked was getting forced last minute to work an overtime day shift and pretty much being up for 24 hours straight.

10. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

Nights are great. You can be the first guy at the range or barber. I get more done on this schedule than I did on days.

Ross-in-Pa and nightnurse like this.
  11. destrukto

destrukto

I work 1530 to usually around 0230
    What’s this dating thing you speak of?

jk_226 likes this.
  12. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

When you have a decent personality, women want to spend time with you. Sometimes they want relations. It’s pretty cool.

pgg00 likes this.
  13. ede

ede

Wife works 6p to 6a. Except for a few years doing insurance stuff she has worked nites.
    I worked midnites for over 5 years, did most of my college when I was on it. Worked 12 hour swings off and on for several years. Really liked it, 7 days in a row off each month plus all totaled only worked 14 days a month and got 12 hours OT plus shift and weekend pay.
    Worked an outage in '06 on nites was last time I worked off shift.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  14. redrick

redrick

I have worked all 3 shifts in my 39 year career . When I first started I worked graveyard . I liked it when I was young and didn’t need much sleep . I would stay up all day when I got off Friday morning and not take a nap before going to work on Sunday night , so it was like a 3 day weekend .

I worked the 2nd shift most of my years . I felt the best working that shift and you do avoid the crowds when doing things . It is hard on family life if you have kids or a wife that works the 1st shift .

My last 7 years i worked the 1st shift . I hated the alarm clock , the traffic , making appointments without missing work and the crowds . My social life was better though .

15. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

Sort of... I am Noon to 8pm most days. I like it and the others in my department don’t, and since I write the schedule it works out. I get up early anyway and this allows me to have a nice calm morning and get stuff done without crowds. Just me and the retirees at the grocery store and never any traffic.

Budqweiser likes this.
  16. Uncle Mark

Uncle Mark Bitter American

I worked all of the shifts and liked second best. The last 5 years of my career that's what I worked. Hours from 2PM-10:30. The younger guys didn't want to work it so never had to worry about getting bumped off. I loved getting up when I wanted to and going to bed when I wanted to plus getting business taken care of during the day. I had the chance to take advantage of gun sales when they used to begin on Friday mornings from competing stores back in the day.

redrick likes this.
  17. Ross-in-Pa

Ross-in-Pa Western Pa

I work 3rd shift. 2200 to 0600. Monday to Friday.

It works out well for my wife and me. Been doing it for 5 years now.

18. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

I usually go two times a day.

*edit*
    You said “shifters”.....

well my statement stands

19. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

10s. The major reason i went to second. More hours, more money.
    The "dating shutdown" is women seem to be super scared of covid, half their dating profile pics is them wearing a mask and saying they are socially distanced.

20. sonoma

sonoma

I worked 3-11 for 15 years and i loved it.There are alot of hot nurses that work 2nd shift that are lonely.On your days off go to a hospital and eat your evening meal, take your pick.