Any Ruger .22/45 Lite Owners? How Good Is It?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by MGGLOCK9, Aug 14, 2020.

1. MGGLOCK9

MGGLOCK9

Thinking of buying. Got a regular .22/45 but want less weight as my rotator cuffs worsen.
    Reliability?

Accuracy?

DAW9347 likes this.
  2. porschedog

porschedog

Very reliable, as accurate as the shooters’ ability allows.

wlkjr likes this.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

I prefer the heavier guns, but the 22/45s are great. Lots of them at our steel matches and they run well with good accuracy.

4. DAW9347

DAW9347

Understandable. What type of shooting do you do most? Rugers, once all the springs reach their working length are reliable with Standard and High Velo .22 rimfire ammunition. I've shot several of the 22/45 "Lites" after doing trigger jobs, and the barrel bounces around too much for my liking, so I stick with the heavier barrel versions for "plate shooting":
    [​IMG]
    The heavier barrel swings nicely and the compensator I designed, helps recovery time with sequential target acquisition.
    If you just do casual targets and plinking, you'll probably love the Ruger 22/45 Lites. And good luck, and hope your condition can be rectified.

5. DrewBone

DrewBone

The lighter weight of the Ruger 22/45 Lite is a blessing for me, as I suffer with severe RA which has weakened the strength in my fingers, hands, and shoulders. Below is mine wearing a pair of G10 "Starburst pattern" design grips from Bullseye Grips:

MKIV_22_45A.jpg

There are numerous Mark IV 22/45 Lite models to choose from including an unthreaded barrel version if you live in a state that prohibits such a feature, and also distinct models from distributors such as Davidson's, RSR Group, etc., who offer various (vivid anodize) colors and different receiver machining treatments.

Reliability is on par with any other Ruger Mark series pistol, which means that with few minor exceptions you're good to go, which is the same thing that could be said of most any other brand and model of handgun, including Glock.

As far as accuracy, the Lite models utilize a thinner than normal cold hammer forged tensioned stainless steel barrel that won't give the shooter the same "tack driving" accuracy potential as a target bull barrel, but this is not what these pistols were designed for...they were designed for enjoyment and for those who desire a lighter pistol.

If you get yourself a Mark IV 22/45 Lite I don't think you'll be disappointed :D

MNBud and Gamera like this.
  6. MGGLOCK9

MGGLOCK9

Thanks guys! A lot of good information. I am selling one of my Colt Mustang XSPs and then will buy the .22/45.
    (I still have 2 Mustang XSPs-one of them a "First Edition" run. Truly a beautifully finished gun...)

DAW9347 and DrewBone like this.
  7. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I just picked mine up about a month ago. Out of the box, no issues with everything I ran through it. The trigger was a bit stiff to my liking but just finished some upgrades last night. I can't wait to get it out this weekend. 20200818_183635.jpg

DrewBone likes this.
  8. Gamera

Gamera

Its an excellent choice with tons of options for customization for those that like to upgrade their firearms.

DrewBone likes this.
  9. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Out of the three MK series I have it's the most used. Of course it's the only one with a Volquartsen trigger in it currently.

2245Lite.jpg

DAW9347 likes this.
  10. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

I have a Mk IV 22/45 Lite, but haven't had as much range time with it as I'd like. Maybe 350-500 rounds. The only thing that gives me trouble is trying to shoot subsonics through a suppressor. Oh, and some ammo I've had since the mid-1980s. Other than that, it feeds and fires everything. It's notably lighter than Mrs. McGee's Mk IV 22/45 Target, but I'm also more accurate with the Target model. If you pick up a Mk IV, keep an eye on Volquartsen's site. Every once in a while, they sell Mk IV 'tops' of various kinds on clearance. I picked up a Target top w/o sights for $25 ($80 all total after shipping and transfer).

DrewBone likes this.
  11. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

[​IMG]

Posted this not long ago. 22/45 lite MK IV, Volquartsen kit (without trigger), Burris FF3, compensator (yah, I know, but it balances the muzzle.). Use it for steel challenge. Use mini-mags for competitions and its been 100% reliable. It's choked once or twice with cheap Federal bulk I have for plinking.

Spats McGee and DrewBone like this.
  12. GWG19

GWG19

I have one. No issues with it. Mine runs great with good ammo. Cheap ammo, well I get the occasional misfire that is ammo related.

DrewBone likes this.
  13. DrewBone

DrewBone

Looks nice!

Since holding up heavier pistols for any extended amount of time really started to bother my shoulder joints these past 5 years it was great knowing that lighter Ruger Mark series pistols were available, so when I found a new Mark IV 22/45 Lite pistol at a local shop I held it and immediately liked it...then bought it. The trigger doesn't feel too bad as is, but I know that the installation of a Volquartsen accurizing kit will improve it noticeably.

After waiting for months for them to be in stock again I recently acquired a Vortex Venom 3 moa optic for it, but preferring a lower mount I've removed the factory picatinny rail and purchased a Lobos Industries low mount to use instead...and one of these days I might even get around to mounting it on the pistol ;)

20200819_081619.jpg

Spats McGee and Collo Rosso like this.