close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any roofers on here? Is this a good price?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by skeeter7, Apr 19, 2012.

1. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

I needed a roof on my house and I was going to do it myself, but quickly realized I didn't have enough good help so a friend recommended someone. With waste, I have about 15 square on a straight forward double gable end roof with a small porch in front. He came over and said that if I pick up the materials for him, and that I pick up all the mess he makes, he would pick up the permit, strip the 3 layers up there (which I have to clean), install new plywood, install a ridge vent, redo the lead on the chimney, ice/water and felt paper, and put all the shingles down for a labor cost of $2,000. Does this sound like a good deal??

I did give him the job because it sounded reasonable, and so far I have been impressed with his work. He has had 3 other guys here with him for two days now. Should be all done tomorrow in about 3 or 4 hours. I know it's too late now but wasn't sure if it's a good deal. Thanks!

2. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

I had a 1000 ft sq ranch roofed (plus ridge vent) about 3 years ago, including a 10x15 ft porch and 12x12 deck for $7000.

It was a double layer tear off and the original (1955 era) roof was nailed down with old-school steel roofing nails. That was majorly labor intensive and it took 3 guys two days to complete.

Overall though, I trusted the work he did, it was top notch and not worth a penny less.

3. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I would say yeah, pretty good deal if you don't mind the clean-up. $133/sq labor isn't bad at all.

What was your material cost and dump cost?

4. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Just finished a 1200sqft roof... labor, materials... set us back over 20k. Then again we had to build from the T&G up to shingle.

5. Caver 60

Caver 60

Had about 30 squares put on last year on an 8 pitch roof. Strip one old layer, clean up and haul away all old material. The old deck was good so no factor there. Used 30 year top rated shingles.

Put down tar paper and installed shingles and vent ridge and new skylight. Also flashed around two chimneys. I bought the skylight and skylight flashing kit for it for about 400 bucks.

Guy charged me about 6 grand (can't remember exactly) and he bought the shingles.

Did a first class job in about 3 1/2 days. I was very pleased. Looks good.

6. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

I had a couple guys with me so each side took about an hour and a half a piece to clean to the point where you never knew the mess was there to begin with, so it wasn't too bad. I figure the materials cost me about $2600 (I figured in for stuff that I have to bring back) and the dumpster was $300 for a grand total of $4900. He told me the bottom layer was brutal to strip and I saw that as I watched from afar, and at that point I was glad I hired someone else to do the work.

7. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Labor at $2k is pretty reasonable but $2600 is a lot for material, shingles should have run you about $1300, maybe another $500 for extras. All in all sounds like you got a good deal.

8. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Did you factor in $600 for plywood and the nails for them? Can't forget that the state which wanted their share with a total tax of about $200.

9. yellowhand

yellowhand

1800 sq ft ran me 8000.00 in AZ with two layers tore off and all hualing and clean up plus six sheets of ply and painting trim and replacing facia boards.
    Sounds like you got a very good deal.:wavey:

10. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Sounds like you got a great deal, but it's odd you're asking now that the work is in progress.

Materials-wise, you get what you pay for. In your situation, I would be finding the best, longest lasting materials, so the job doesn't have to be re-done for a long, long time.