Any Rock Island Armory fans here

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by spookie, Mar 5, 2017.

1. spookie

spookie

Just got the Ria officer 1911 3 1/2" 45 ACP model to EDC

2. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

Try 1911 forum, maybe some fans there.

r3dot likes this.

3. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    We have 2, both in old-school GI trim; we swapped out the smooth wood grips for checkered, and they look and shoot perfectly.

4. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

They're just fine. Enjoy your pistol.

5. XDGunner

XDGunner

Yes, I picked up a RIA GI when Buds Gun Shop was still a small GS in Paris, KY. Paid $350.00 for it. It's the best shooting pistol I own, and will eat anything I throw at it.

6. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Stepping down to the gin palace

I have a GI model. I,like it. It is my truck gun.

7. Jbehredt

Jbehredt

Good value, unless you've got those horrible, smooth, thick wood panels on there. Tough to know without pics though;)

8. r3dot

r3dot

No but I like the rock IMG_5857.JPG

huskerbuttons and mrmedina like this.
  9. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I've had a couple. Would buy one again.

10. Sw150

Sw150

I picked mine up last year at cabelas on sale for 399. Went back this weekend to see if I could pick up the compact version but they were all 599. I want to get another one because I love shooting it. I was never a 1911 guy but fell in love with it. I'll watch and see if they go on sale again. For the money I like it better then my brothers kimbers.

11. techiej

techiej

I have an Ultra FS 9mm and it was my first 1911 in 9mm and is now my favorite to shoot - accurate, reliable and easy on the old body.

12. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

I like them.
    Years ago I saw 1 at a gun show. The guy had a tag on it for 1000.00
    And he was serious!

13. pblanc

pblanc

I just bought my first RIA pistol a little before Christmas. It is a full-size 1911A1 "Rock" 45, which was previously known as the "Tactical". It was on sale for $369 and I couldn't pass it up.

Am I a fan? Well, sort of too early to tell. When I handled the pistol before purchase, I knew there were some things that I was going to have to change. The most obvious were the smooth sided wooden grip panels and the ambi safety lever. The safety lever, apart being ambi which I don't need, had sharp edges and the right sided lever especially interfered with my grip. Fortunately, I had a pair of laminated cocobolo Wilson Combat grip panels I had purchased for another 1911 and then decided to swap the grips back. The stock trigger had a medium length shoe which didn't feel too bad when I initially handled the gun, but I thought I might wind up needing a longer shoe. I also wasn't sure about the blacked out sights and the full-length recoil spring guide rod.

After I got the pistol and shot it a bit, I found that I really didn't care for the checkered polymer mainspring housing. The checkering was sharp at the edges and uncomfortable on the hand. So I swapped it for a flat, serrated steel MSH. The front strap of the grip had some serrations but they were somewhat depressed, and didn't provide much purchase, so I put on a Pearce grip sleeve with finger grooves which I like pretty well. I found the blacked out front sight hard to pick up and it filled up too much of the rear sight aperture. I enlarged the rear sight aperture and painted the two little dimples white. The front sight I swapped for a HI-VIZ Litewave Novak style fiberoptic. Even thought the dovetails on the RIA Rock are said to be Novak cuts, the HI-VIZ sight required a lot of fitting. The stock trigger wasn't too bad, but I have moderately large hands and decided I would be more comfortable with a longer trigger. So I installed a Wilson Combat adjustable aluminum three hole trigger.

Next up was the ambi safety lever which I replaced with a Wilson Combat tactical thumb safety. That too required considerable fitting and replacement of the sear pin, but I was very happy with it when I got it on. The full-length guide rod turned out to be a pain when reassembling the pistol after field stripping. The end of the guide rod is quite squared off with no radius, and it proved difficult to get it through the narrowed end of the open plug without hanging up. I radiused the edges of the rod a bit which helped considerably, but I found that even after polishing the rod, it caused some drag that seemed to make it harder for the slide to go into battery. So I swapped it for a standard closed plug and short GI recoil spring guide.

The WC grip panels that I put on did not have a relief cut to make accessing the magazine release button easier, so I swapped that for a WC tactical model magazine latch. The stock slide latch lever also looked a bit cheesy to me so that got switched for a Wilson Combat.

Things I did like about the stock pistol were the trigger action, beavertail grip safety, and combat skeletonized hammer. I thought the slide to frame fit was very good, and the barrel to slide and barrel bushing fit to be good enough. The pistol also shot well, but I did have some malfunctions.

In the first 50 rounds I had about 5 failures of the slide to go fully into battery. Two of these were with JHP ammo but the rest with 230 grain FMJ. Polishing the feed ramp and barrel throat and changing to a short GI recoil spring guide rod seemed to help. In the next 100 rds I had maybe one more failure to return to battery, two failures to extract, and one stovepipe jam with the empty case jammed horizontally in the breech. I increased the extractor tension and swapped the stock recoil spring with an 18 lb chrome silicon spring. The stock spring was allegedly an 18 lb spring, but it felt lighter. In the last 100 rounds or so I have had no malfunctions shooting mostly 230 grain ball ammo, but a couple of 8 round magazines of various JHP ammo.

So am I happy with the pistol? Well, if it remains reliable I will be as it is now very comfortable and shoots nicely. I did invest $200 in various parts and quite a bit of time getting it to where it is now, however. I did get it for a good initial price, but I have now invested enough that I probably could have gotten a mil-spec Springfield Armory 1911 A1 which many might argue is a better made pistol.

14. G19 DB

G19 DB

Have a 1911 gi version. Crazy accurate pistol. Really like it. Great deal. I also pd around $400. Would buy another.

15. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I got their 22TCM / 9mm gun.

22tcm1.jpg

16. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I've heard good things about the RIA pistols. I handled a couple of them at the show yesterday but they all came in at around $475.00 including tax and PIC check. Enjoy your new pistola Spookie. tom.

17. TxGun

TxGun

Can't speak for the RIA 3 1/2" officer's version (though I've been thinking about getting one), but the Gov't. model is a solid pistol. Good value for the $, IMO.

18. ItnStln

ItnStln

I was looking at that but decided to buy a CPO Sig Sauer for the same price. It sounds like the RIA 1911 GI Version will be on my list to purchase next!

19. Geno

Geno Millennium Member

Bought a R.I.A. M206 snub nose 6 shot revolver 3 years ago for $229.00. Great gun but heavy as a brick. Shoots fine and pretty darn quality for the money. Parkerized finish kind of rough but not too bad. The grips were fairly quality walnut but too small even for my smaller hands. Replaced them with a set of Pachmyers. A lot of gun for not alot of money.

20. The Habit

The Habit كافر

My wife bought me a RIA FS .45ACP Tactical which should be here tomorrow. It was a total surprise. Looking forward to running it through the paces. I owned a RIA GI about a dozen years ago which I kitted out with Brown/Wilson/Nowlin bits. It was a pretty decent gun.