GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
March 5, 1985 Robotech first aired in the USA. I was 9, and I loved that show. I still have the comico comics from the three series, and I even had a few of my letters make it into the fanmail section. Anyone else on GT that was into it? To be honest, it never was really popular in the states. The storyline was too adult for most kids, the show was often played out of order and didn't make sense if not watched in the correct order. Japanamation hadn't yet caught on, and it was really a mashup of unrelated series. It was very popular in Mexico and South America.

·
Anti-Federalist
17,612 Posts
I was, had some of the toy planes that converted as well. It kinda just fell off the radar at some point.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They never had real backing, or much of a plan. They have brought it back a few times with movies and the sentinals series. But the competition was Hasbro based. Transformers and GI Joe had good marketing, and money to back them up. But no real storyline.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was ten I went to Pittsburgh for a Robotech convention. Maybe 50 to 75 people max. I won ten bucks right out of series creator Carl Macek's pocket by answering trivia questions that nobody should have known the answers to. :)

·
Premium Member
24,806 Posts
Was that the one where humans found a alien super ship that converted? Thousands of people got on, and had to flee Earth? Store keepers, singers, few military folks? It never made sense. The few I saw.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was that the one where humans found a alien super ship that converted? Thousands of people got on, and had to flee Earth? Store keepers, singers, few military folks? It never made sense. The few I saw.
Yes. It was a circular storyline, and didn't make sense if you weren't into it.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
When I used to talk about it, people would say, "Planes that turn into robots? Oh, you mean Transformers?"

No! They're vehicles, not robots and I'm talking about a character driven story that actually has a plot and spans three generations!

Nobody understood back then. I don't even try now.

I have it all on disc (VHS, too) and all my kids have seen it. Turned my son into a fan years ago. My youngest just watched Macross for the first time last year.

IMG_20200306_175111218.jpg

It's been on Netflix and Prime in recent years.

·
Anti-Federalist
17,612 Posts
When I used to talk about it, people would say, "Planes that turn into robots? Oh, you mean Transformers?"

No! They're vehicles, not robots and I'm talking about a character driven story that actually has a plot and spans three generations!

Nobody understood back then. I don't even try now.

I have it all on disc (VHS, too) and all my kids have seen it. Turned my son into a fan years ago. My youngest just watched Macross for the first time last year.

View attachment 713132

It's been on Netflix and Prime in recent years.

Exactly, not Transformers. The equipment "transformed" they weren't sentient. That was always hard to explain to kids today. Way more plausible.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I enjoyed it. Although it was more for adults. It dealt with characters dying, whereas US cartoons for kids everybody went home at the end of the day, even the bad guys.

If they ever come out with Robotech the Movie, they'll need to find someone good to play Rick Hunter. Someone like a younger Tom Cruise. He generally plays the same character. A screwup who gets his act together in the end and saves the day. That was pretty much Rick Hunter.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried to but it was only on at 6AM on school days so I could only watch clandestinely.
I can remember what happened in my life at the ages 9 thru 12 based on what episode was on. As an example, I had my tonsils removed on July 5, 1985. It was the episode where Roy Fokker and Claudia LaSalle got married. I didn't see that episode until twenty five years later, when I caught it on Hulu!

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I enjoyed it. Although it was more for adults. It dealt with characters dying, whereas US cartoons for kids everybody went home at the end of the day, even the bad guys.

If they ever come out with Robotech the Movie, they'll need to find someone good to play Rick Hunter. Someone like a younger Tom Cruise. He generally plays the same character. A screwup who gets his act together in the end and saves the day. That was pretty much Rick Hunter.
Toby McGuire has been pushing to play Rick Hunter for years

·
Registered
465 Posts
Robotech was the anime that taught me what anime really was. I really enjoyed it, because it had everything. Giant robots, aliens, space battles, lots and lots of combat...

Reactions: Upgrayedd

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
March 5, 1985 Robotech first aired in the USA. I was 9, and I loved that show. I still have the comico comics from the three series, and I even had a few of my letters make it into the fanmail section. Anyone else on GT that was into it? To be honest, it never was really popular in the states. The storyline was too adult for most kids, the show was often played out of order and didn't make sense if not watched in the correct order. Japanamation hadn't yet caught on, and it was really a mashup of unrelated series. It was very popular in Mexico and South America.
My friend loved it and collected the toys. I mainly watched with him. I always thought it was cooler than our animation.

·
Rational
14,223 Posts
Didn't it start as a book series?

I never read them; I was always a BattleTech/MechWarrior disciple instead. I think Jordan Weisman, who founded BattleTech and FASA, was also an author in Robotech, but don't quote me on that. Pretty sure some BT authors worked on Robotech though. :dunno::headscratch:

ETA: Correction....Weisman worked on Shadowrun, in addition to BattleTech, not Robotech.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts