Any reloading components at gun shows?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by glock379, Feb 10, 2010.

1. glock379

glock379

Hi all, just recently found this site after I got back into reloading after a 10 year hiatus. I'm going to an Eastmans Gun Show in Macon Ga this weekend to scout around for bullet ends, brass, powder and primers. Primarily 10mm, .40SW, 44mag, .223 and .308. Just wondering what availability is at the gun shows these days. What I'm seeing on the internet is not encouraging.

Thanks,
    Craig

2. jimruger9

jimruger9 Newbe Reloader

Tons of power and Primers at the last Crossroads of the west show in Salt lake a month ago.

3. Billy_Ray

Billy_Ray

I was at Eastman's show in Gwinnett this past weekend and there were a couple booths that offered extensive amounts of reloading components: brass, bullets and powder. They did not have any pistol primers. The Gwinnett show is probably their largest venue in Atlanta metro though, so it may be different in Macon.

Billy Ray

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Wideners has wolf primers of all sizes in stock I do believe.

Here.. the big gun show had plenty of primers, but they were outrageous in price. Powder, bullets, etc.. were all semi normal.

IGF

5. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Wideners and Powder Valley has Wolf primers and thier powder stock looks like it's back up again.

Our local gunshow prices as something not to be desired... primers $35-45, good news is they don't appear to sell much, which may help drive the price down a bit. Powders are hit and miss and there are deals on bullets now and then... but you have to be "in" with most vendors to get the really good deals.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

There's a shop about 15mi from my house, that has had plenty of powder and bullets all through this nonsense. They are high on bullets(and usually only sell 100rd boxes), but their powder prices are quite reasonable. They have the whole lineup of Winchester powders, quite a few Alliant powders, and a few select Viht. powders.

IGF

7. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

IGF
    I didn't find any bargains at the last Indy 1500 show, I could get powder at out little local shop cheaper.
    I did get a Lee mould priced right, and some 40 brass for $30 a K just because it looked nice and was all Win head stamp.
    Just doesn't seem like there that many good deals like there use to be at the shows?
    I like to visit Bob at Plainfield shooting supplies, saw him at the show, haven't been to his shop for awhile though.

Bob

8. sourdough44

sourdough44

I usually do better on the net/mailorder or known local shops. I go to a gun show about once every 3 years. The visit usually reminds me to hold off going again.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

The folks out in Plainfield are good people. The 1500, is so hit and miss. It used to be a great place to score some deals, now, you have to really look for deals. Most stuff there, is just dealers who've moved their shop inside the Fairgrounds for those 3 days. I don't know if table prices have risen dramatically, or if its something else. I totally agree w/ you though, not really much in the way of deals.

I don't know if you've ever made it to Outdoorsman Sports Shop in Greenwood, but thats where I usually buy my powder. The prices aren't bad, and I don't have to go to the hassle of shipping, etc..

IGF

10. glock379

glock379

I was hoping to at least find powder and primers at the show, hoping to avoid that 25.00 hazmat shipping fee. There is only 1 gun shop in my area and the last 2 times I was in there they said they were having trouble getting powder. He had a few boxes of small rifle primers and was limiting 1 box per customer.

11. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

We used to go to the Outdoorsman Sports Shop pretty often but haven't been there for awhile. For the last ten years or so we have got most of our stuff from a guy that retired from the military and started a little shop in his house.
    With no overhead his prices are hard to beat.
    I need to get up to Outdoor shop, it's been a few years but were over an hour away.

Bob

12. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

I bought 2K Win SP primers at a show last months for about $35/box. They had a few more boxes, but I wasn't feeling a need to spend $350 on a case of them. Another table was selling CCIs for $38 or so. More than I paid for primers last year, yes... but I'd rather pay $35 for a box than $28 for nothing.

Some powder available as well, but not what I'd call a wide selection (they had nothing I use a lot of). My local shops usually have powder lately, so I buy at the shops.

thorn

13. dudel

dudel

Last time I went to an Eastman's show in Dalton, the price of supplies was higher than you could get the stuff locally. If you included the price of admission, the prices were even worse.

Too many people who didn't know the prices were overspending for stuff.

OTOH, I got a NIB case kicker for the Rockchucker for $5. Guy selling it didn't know what it was! That was worth the trip. Friend of mine wanted a HiPoint 9mm as a truck gun. We went to a local store after the show and picked up a new one for $40 less than the best price at the show.

14. glock379

glock379

This is what I'm afraid I'm going to drive 3 hours round trip for...

15. PBKing

PBKing

Cool...nice find
    I find ALL the deals at the shows are in the Parking Lot. I stopped paying the entrance fee to get disappointed or raped about 10 years ago. You might be amazed what stuff never enters the show.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  16. dudel

dudel

True that. Amazing how many deals are made while people are standing in line to pay for admission!