close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any regular swimmers here?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, May 28, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

I started swimming laps several weeks ago after my physical therapist recommended the activity for chronic back pain.

I love it! I am so hooked! I have never been much of a swimmer, but it fixed my back, I think I've lost weight, and I feel incredible after 35-45 mins of laps. And I sleep like a baby after swimming in the evening after work.

Plus, Gaston Glock is a notorious swimmer. :cool:

Any regular swimmers here?

2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I was until last September when I jacked up my rotator cuff. I really miss it. Hopefully in a few months.

You get out of the pool with a whole new perspective don't ya?

BTW, I have a waterproof ipod with waterproof earbuds. COMPLETELY changes the experience. I don't need to be alone with my thoughts too long. :supergrin:

3. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to KY to NC to OH to VA to GA to NY to FL....
    I am an odd swimmer, I only use one arm, and only kick every third stroke. I sometimes alternate if I am really feeling odd.:supergrin:

4. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

That is awesome. I never heard such a thing existed. Whenever I do most exercise, I like to rock out (old Chevelle, recently).

I have to look into this...

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I recommend Reggae for the pool.

3rd party companies sell them. They'll either waterproof your shuffle or sell you one waterproofed. Also nice for the beach There is also a product called swimp3 that uses bone conduction instead of earbuds. I haven't used it but others really like it.

Finally there are swim computers you wear on your wrist that count your laps and gather stats about your swim.

6. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Is floating around peeing in the water and dog paddling considered regular swimming?

7. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

I try to swim 1200-1500 yards once per week when my workout program is in full swing. Learning to alternate breaths left and right helped me a lot -- avoids tiring out one side of your body before the other.

I'll have to check out the waterproof ipod...

8. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Also a swimmer. Got into it last year after several recent years of wanting to finally get decent at it. So, what better motivator than doing a triathlon. Took some lessons from a great local swim coach at my local gym. Went from swallowing mouthfuls of water and not being able to do one length of a 25M pool to now being quite good at freestyle. Wonderful feeling being able to do it. Wonderful. It's by far the most relaxing type of exercise that I do. I also have a water iPod and it really helps getting you into a zone.

Going to take lessons soon on how to swim efficiently doing the breaststroke and backstroke. After that will just hopefully continue to enjoy it for years.

9. Dan

Dan

I'm 20 laps every other morning at the athletic club I belong to. I'm 40 and don't feel anything like it.

10. mingaa

mingaa

Swimming is my primary cardio. I'm on par to swim 100 miles this year - 2 miles a week, half or a full mile at a time - not that hard. I live 5 blocks from a great facility. I get great neck relief and an O2 boost from a Finis swim snorkel - a real game changer: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O6G95Q?ie=UTF8&ref=aw_bottom_links&force-full-site=1"]Amazon.com: Finis Swimmer's Snorkel: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31gj-bTQbPL.@@AMEPARAM@@31gj-bTQbPL[/ame]