Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· 5 year in with Glocks
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendation on a carry round? I am only familiar with FMJ target rounds and cheap bulk for the range. What's up with +P and what do you recommend? For my G23 and G26.

I am especially curious about 9mm recommendations as people always start conversations about 9 v .40 v .45 arguments with, "with today's modern 9mm round, the 9 is a very effective defensive round."

Which are those?

· Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
32,590 Posts
Any of the premium 9MMJHP rounds will be just fine.

I like Corbon, others will have different opinions, in the end they're all pretty much the same.....

· Rude Member
3,063 Posts
The Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ and the 124 grain Gold Dot +P+ are recognized by many as the two top performers in 9mm.

As far as .40, I would avoid anything labeled +P or +P+ as the .40 is already a high pressure round in the standard offerings.

I like the 180 grain Rangers or 180 grain Gold Dots for my G23.

· Gun Addict
343 Posts
I carry both 9mm and .40, I've found Remington Golden Saber to be a great round in either caliber. M&P 15 was right, they're all pretty much the same. Whichever brand you choose, shoot at least two or three boxes through your carry weapon. If you don't have hiccups of any kind you should be GTG.:cool:

· Premium Member
97 Posts
Rangers and Gold Dots are both GREAT choices in any caliber.

Another great option is Buffalo Bore!

As for caliber I like .357 Sig the most... GREAT penetration.

Either way 9, 40, 45, 357 Sig are all great rounds, you just have to shoot which you shoot best.

· Biggest Member
2,539 Posts
Winchester is just coming out with a round called PDX1 Defender, it is a really amazing hollowpoint! I saw an article about it in the GUNS AND AMMO 2012 HANDGUNS BUYER'S GUIDE...check it out, they are especially good for barrier penetration, which may not be the best for home defense, but they have a great combination of expansion and penetration. In 9mm there is a 147gr jhp. In .40cal they make a 180gr jhp, and in .45acp they make a 230gr jhp.
Now I just wish they would make a 10mm 200gr jhp!

· Fartacus
1,212 Posts
I usually pick something based on the "FBI approved" list for my 9mm. Ranger T, Gold Dot, Golden Saber, Federal HST, CorBon are all on there. I prefer 147gr., but that's just me.

· Biggest Member
2,539 Posts
The article I read about the PDX1 Defender was written about the FBI qualification process, apparently it blew em away!

· Registered
3,941 Posts
Cannot help you with the G 23 but here we go with the G 26. My G26 is loaded with Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P 124gr HP Short Barrel. Speer designed these ammo for short barrel weapons. I also use the Short Barrel ammo in J frames. There is no problem shooting +P ammo in Glocks.

· ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
3,488 Posts
Read THIS ARTICLE. It's got some good information on 9mm for defense. Keep in mind that it was written about 15 years ago, so, like elde said, the loads may not necessarily be up to date.

· Registered
1,896 Posts
In .40, I'd use these-
http://www.sgammo.com/product/feder...hst-180-grain-government-contract-ammo-xm40hc

(Not currently in stock but they would be my first choice if I still used .40- What a price.....)

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/50rd-40-hst-180-grain-federal-hollow-point-ammo-p40hst1

(These are the same thing, not repackaged and more expensive. Still very reasonable.)

http://www.sgammo.com/product/winch...ester-ranger-180-gr-bonded-hollow-point-ammo-

(I believe these are the "PDX" bullets atop these loadings. Again, sick pricing. I don't imagine they'll be around like this much longer.)

In 9mm., I use Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P generally.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.