Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
5 year in with Glocks
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a decommissioned DC cop Gen 1 Glock 17 circa 1986. Shoots great. Is there any reason not to make it my main HD pistol? (I have an 870P too) Would upgrading to a Gen 3 be pragmatic for any reason?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I also have a DC retired G17, it shoots great, too! I shoot it more accurately than I do my Gen3 G22 (not saying much in either case. ;) ) I think the lack of finger grips on the G17 allows a more precise grip. For me, there would be no advantage to getting a Gen3 or 4 pistol, the Gen1 17 fits me just fine.

·
5 year in with Glocks
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine came with a NY 8# trigger and I replaced it with a 3.5# trigger but didn't replace any springs, just the connector. I did the same exact thing to my Gen 3 23 and the 23 feels really hair-trigger and great -- the same thing didn't happen to the G17 Gen 1 -- I wonder why. That 8# cop connector was crazy-stupid-heavy. OK, I will just keep my perfect, rare, G1G17 then. And since I am a DC boy, it is great to own the same gun that was world-renown for "biting" their owners in a terrible trend of Glock-bites-Cop accidental discharges (maybe one of the reasons for the NY8 and not just to make it feel more like a service revolver)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I don't like the finger grooves. I'd keep the G17 just the way it is. Just check with Glock. Their were a few mods in the later generation guns over the early ones. Glock will usually do the upgrading no problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts