Any private security contractors on here?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by picturethis, Jan 9, 2010.

1. picturethis

picturethis

I'd love to do something like Blackwater did, but I do not have any military experience. I am 27 years old and am willing to go overseas for 6 months to a year at a time. I know those guys make a lot of money, and with this tough economy, the real estate scene is just not what it used to be. :( I have a 1 year old daughter, and I want to be able to provide the best life for her that I can, so she doesn't miss out on things that I missed out on due to growing up in a poor home. Can anyone point me in the right direction to sources or people who hire for private security jobs overseas, such as in Iraq or Afghanistan? I know these jobs are dangerous, but from the accounts I've heard, they make 80-180k a year, so it's a worthy risk for me. Hopefully someone can help, and that this doesn't come off as a dumb post haha.

2. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Sorry to be the one to have to tell you, but...................

A 27 year old man, with no military experience, no security experience, no special training (as they require or like), and really no experience in these types of events. You're not going to find anyone who'll take you. And if you do, that's just what they'll do, "take you".

These outfits want trained experienced men for these jobs, not raw recruits. They must have men of that type, not a real estate person wanting to find a better income. In other words, they want shovel ready guys, not guys they will have to train. And understand that, you will get killed without that training and experience. You will.

I'm sorry, while I applaud your efforts and intents, your methods and expectations aren't very sound.

You can expect no bites.

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

The post above is strait to the point. Even if someone did hire you, there is huge risk involved. Don't you want to be around to see your kid grow up?

You would be better off getting a job in LE in your area.

4. k9medic

k9medic

check in over at socnet.com Post an intro and look at the forum all the way at the bottom. Read a lot, then ask appropriate questions.

5. Bado

Bado

Join the military.

6. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I have military experience, am currently enlisted, 22 years old, plenty of training, no wife or kids, no worry of risk, and I'm willing to go overseas as long as they want me to.

They still probably wouldn't take me.

Sorry.

7. rock_jock

rock_jock

I'd like to be CEO of ExxonMobil. Where do I send an application?

8. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Damn man what's your MOS Combat Knitter?

I think you might be surprised what you are offered once your enlistment is up.

9. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Send that and a check for $500 to.....

10. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

This is the way to go.

11. picturethis

picturethis

My state is one of, if not the #1 hardest states to become a police officer in. I'd have to move in order to be a police officer. I've considered it, but haven't gotten to that point yet. Being 27 puts me behind the 8 ball. Most people would rather look at a 21 or 22 year old than a 27 year old, since I'm closer to 30 than 20.

12. JMS

JMS 02

It's the first step...
    [​IMG]

13. picturethis

picturethis

I should note that I have 3 years of armed security experience, but that's not even close to as good as military or law enforcement, so I did not include the info in my initial post. I was told there are a LOT of contractor positions available overseas that pay big money, and not all of them are black and white security positions. My friend's dad works on a base as an electrician and makes 90k a year, if the figures his son told me are indeed truthful. Is there anything I can really look into? I am not looking to join the military, but I appreciate the suggestions guys.

14. Kahrguy330

Kahrguy330 I don't believe

You think your too old to go into LE? I am 27, asked if I was too old for LE over on Cop Talk. Everyone told me that depts look for someone who is older, more mature than the younger guys. You actually have an edge over the younger guys.

15. picturethis

picturethis

LOL. Well played.

16. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I always thought it was damn near imposible to get into. Other than SF, knowing someone, etc.

17. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Bull crap. Hate to be blunt but you really dont know what you are talking about. You are seriously asking how do I get a 6 figure job with no experience and then making excuses for why you cant do other things. 27 isnt behind for anything.

You need to have a reality check. You can do anything you want, just sign up and do what they tell you until you are done. Then when you reach those goals you can go after others.

....but you either have to take a crap or get off the pot. No one is going to give you anything and excuses wont get you anything either.

18. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I think perhaps you should re-evaluate your thinking on this. If you really want to go down that path, do so. Sure it'll cause you some trials and tribulation, but what's good that doesn't?

Give it a try, a real try. You may surprise yourself. But if you don't have that sort of "stick to itness" you don't need to think about Afghanistan.

Pull it together, nothing you do will be "easy", that's why it seems hard. And that's why the people who do get the jobs are the ones that should get them.

Do your best, make the hard/difficult decisions. Stick it out. Hard work and effort will/does pay off in the end.

Be that guy. Do what you want, just be prepared to pay the price. We all did it, you can as well.

Good luck.

19. picturethis

picturethis

I meant in my state (Minnesota) Minnesota has some of the highest standards, and they are one of the highest paying states, so there are a lot of candidates for very few positions. I didn't go to college, since real estate doesn't require it. I planned to follow in my dad's footsteps. He's a realtor who made 150k per year like clockwork before the economy collapsed. I was more than fine with even 100k a year, and I had a huge advantage due to the fact I was going to partner with my dad, and once he retired I would assume his clients. Real estate has suffered badly lately, to say the least. Minnesota requires a minimum of 2 year degree, but if you are a white male like I am, you need a 4 year degree + knowing more than 1 person + some higher up basically giving the good word to the hiring people. I've heard of people going to the interview testing and having there be 900 people applying for 1 position. I messed up by counting my chickens before they hatched, thinking I had it made in the real estate game. That's what I get for ASSuming things, and now I need to get my stuff together. Sorry for the life story, lol. I have money in the bank, and my cars are both paid off, so I have time to find something I'd love to do, and I am interested in doing contractor work if there is a market for someone who is "un-trained" like I am.

20. picturethis

picturethis

I appreciate the advice. I've worked on average 65 hours a week for the last 3 years, so I have no problem putting the time in. I am not looking for an easy way out, or any shortcuts. I am just not trying to get into something that I have a very slim chance of accomplishing. I think it's smart to consider all options, and go for one that has a realistic chance of happening, if you know what I mean. My new year's resolution was to figure it out in 2010, so now's as good of a time as ever to start.