close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Park Rangers out there?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SwampFox89, Mar 3, 2010.

1. SwampFox89

SwampFox89 Rec Student

So I'm graduating college next May with a BS in Recreation Management. Concentration in Parks and Recreation and a minor in Sustainable Development. I hope to start a career as a Park Ranger and be somewhere, anywhere in North Carolina. I was hoping there were some Seasoned Rangers out there who could tell me what they think about it. Simple questions like "do you use a department issue sidearm or carry your own?" "what DO you carry?" and "what is the job outlook looking like?"

It would also be awesome to know how I get a job as a Ranger in the first place. All I know is USAjobs.com. I also hear that in this day and age, you have to make yourself as marketable as possible, so I try. I'm bringing to the table my degree, BSA Climbing Instructor, CPR/AED/First Aid/BBP, Eagle Scout and possibly WFR and LNT instructor.

2. bearshoegun

bearshoegun

Damn, did you just waste all of your parents money?

3. Kith

Kith

Good for you man, that's something I wanted to do before I got lost in construction trades.

I hope that you have much success with your chosen career path, I have a lot of respect and admiration for park rangers.

I'd love to be wandering around in the beautiful outdoors as my job.

4. canis latrans

canis latrans

go talk (in person) to one of the folks who already have the job you want.

5. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

Here in PA we have a hiring freeze on most state jobs.About 7 months ago a ranger took early retirement so the rest of the guys could keep 40 hrs.
    This is all coming from the guys at the range a french creek state park.
    I would suggest getting into this early, as it's not a great paying job for rookies and you might have to supply alot of your own gear.Here they have assistant rangers that really make no money and do it more or less to get a foot in the door.

I feel sorry for anyone chasing a dream in this economy.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  6. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

Really? do we need that here?

7. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

8. SwampFox89

SwampFox89 Rec Student

I'm not sure if 45reloader is trying to defend me or what, but bearshoegun, what are you talking about 'wasting my parents' money? I work at a Boy Scout Camp during the summer and I'm a supervisor for University Recreation during the school year. It's required for both my jobs, so I get it for free at camp. Thank god for 501(c)3's. As for WFR and LNT, I would be paying for those myself with my own earned money. As I would be for this NCEE course I need to start.

How would I be wasting money?

9. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

That sounds like a good start to a career in the Forest Service. Also, you should take a look at 1811 series (Criminal Investigators) in the Fed. I know that from time to time some Fed agencies hire 1811's for work out in the field (as in national parks and such).

Check out the forums here for all things 1811 related there are over 14K threads to search through. I'm sure you can pick up some tips for applying to the feds.

Look into work for the Indian Reservations too, I know that can be hard to get hired on as a white person (big ASSumption there) but it should be worth a look.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  10. rohanreginald

rohanreginald Novice

I have a very similar degree and wanted to do the park ranger thing also. I can tell you this. Look into every govt agency there is. I don't work in my field, but I make a lot more money than if I did. It is not the law enforcement work you may think of (no gun), but I do work for a law enforcement agency. My advice is to look everywhere and if you are not going in as an 1811 (criminal investigator) make sure the pay scale goes as high as you want to go.

By the way, my agency is hiring like crazy. We are not posting jobs on USAjobs anymore as most supervisors have direct hiring authority and can hire anyone on the spot. I highly recommend you go visit the office in person, where you want to get hired and let them know you are interested. Also, there is a lot of competition for park ranger positions so it may take awhile for you to get hired.

11. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

12. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

I have a friend that is a park ranger in America now but after he got his degree he volunteered for the Peace Corps. At least I don't think he was paid. Maybe they hired him. He was sent to north central Africa. A country with no coast I think. It might have only been for one year but I think it was for two years. He worked with the park rangers in an African country chasing poachers and doing other African park ranger duties. Then he came back to America and got a job as a US Park Ranger. He now works at a Civil War battle park.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010