Any panic buyers out there?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by geodan, Oct 20, 2020.

1. ilpirata

ilpirata

A few months ago I bought ammo because I figured things wouldn't get better with an election coming.

The S&W 60-4 and mint condition 19-6 I bought can't be considered panic buying.

2. CBennett

CBennett

Was honestly strongly thinking about selling the AR just to see how much I could make on it

3. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I have a tub just for my x tra holsters.

FullClip likes this.
  4. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Zero panic buying here! I have not purchased any guns or ammo since the madness started (zilch!). I have purchased a holster, but the prices of those seem to be unchanged.

Good luck selling! The timing is good! Let us know how it goes!

5. rock_castle

rock_castle With Liberty and Justice for all.

I spent yesterday visiting gun stores looking for 32 H&R Magnum for my new LCR. I was amazed by all the empty shelves I saw. If you don't already have it then you are pretty much out of luck.

All of the larger stores were out of 32 H&R Magnum. The last store I went to was a small LGS in a small town near here. They had the best selection of handgun ammo including one box of 32 H&R and at a fair price. The big box stores had nothing, but this small hole in the wall LGS in an out of the way place was in stock.

6. 540mope

540mope

Someone will buy that package of goodies...no prob. Might want to include a gas mask and a compass to bait the true panic buyers.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I began 'panic buying' way back when a DEMOCRAT proposed a nickle tax on every round of ammo, no matter the caliber. That would have nearly tripled the cost of a 500 rd box of .22 LR. That was when i "woke", as some would say. Been buying a few boxes of the needed calibers here and there ever since, and especially at the gun shows when the prices were reasonable. Never have paid ridiculous prices, or bought online bulk ammo.
    I recently made a purchase at the local big name store where, amazingly, the prices are at the pre-panic level. so I 'panicked' thinking that the ammo would not be seen at that price ever again, and bought 1k rounds of .22 Mag, and a few boxes of 10mm (but i didn't hog it all. there's still more on the shelves).

So sad that many people have ignored or completely missed the obvious signs ...which have been obvious for many years.
    I feel bad for those who have recently become of age to own firearms. I hope they can afford to purchase what they will need to protect themselves.
    I have zero sympathy for the unprepared fools who still refer to those with more foresight as "hoarders" or "tin foil hatters".

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Kentucky Shooter likes this.
  7. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

People are buying everything. Places like Sportsmans Warehouse and Gallery of Guns are sold out of everything. Even the $2000-$3000 guns are gone. You have to be scared to drop $2000 on a lever gun in 357 mag. (Winchester grade IV, limited edition) yet they sold out fairly quickly.

8. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

small window of opportunity because in a couple of weeks, DJT will win in a landslide, adding seats in the house and senate, and ACB will be confirmed.

happy-days-are-here-again.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  9. IllinoisGun

IllinoisGun

I share your succinct optimism.

The cliff hanger 3rd Act of the theatre production is almost over.
    People are growing tired of the exciting events of 2020.

2021 is going to be a good year.

The Golden Age 2020's are almost upon us.

The Peace & Prosperity decade will reign happily.

narkcop128 and G26-Has-my-6 like this.
  10. narkcop128

narkcop128

Only gun I've panic bought is an Atlantic AK-47 battlefield pickup model built on a 1970 Romanian kit. I paid $350 more than it sold for. After handling and firing it I know I made a good decision.

11. geodan

geodan

Went pretty quick locally. Covered the cost of the Standard Manufacturing Single Action I have coming, so I'm OK with it. I'll see if I can take a BAC-worthy picture or two of it when I take possession.

jr24 and Nick B like this.
  12. Parzival

Parzival

i've only bought 3 guns since the panic started. an HK SP5, a Glock 20.4, and an FN509c and they all came from a dealer i have used for the last 20 years. got all at at cost + 10% and could easily triple my money on one of them but thats not even an option.

13. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

I ended up being one.
    Before I knew the shelves were empty, I sold my 2 carry pieces to get a j- frame. Then went to all the stores and could not find one.

In a panic I needed a carry gun, and ended up with a SIG P365 SAS and am happy.

Funny how things turn out.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  14. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

I never panic buy because that would mean I was too ignorant on a subject of interest to be prepared.

billy_56081 and Steel & Wood like this.
  15. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

I don't need to panic buy, I have too much as it is (so my wife tells me!).

16. jr24

jr24

Cool. I liked that little Galil, wouldn't mind one of those myself for non panic prices, unfortunately they have always been more than I'd be willing to pay, considering how much cheaper I can build an AR pistol.

Me too. She seems ... well, not happy but less exasperated when I sell a few and replace them with a higher quality option. Less guns in the safe I guess.

Steel & Wood likes this.
  17. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

^^^^^^ This!! ^^^^^^

I've been married for 2/3 of my life. I've learned that panicking only causes stress.
    Marriage CAN create enough stress, as-it-is. :)

18. eman2016

eman2016

I wouldn’t call it panic buying. I’ve added some bucket list stuff to my collection. Aside from the possibility of Democrats winning nationally and rolling back the filibuster they’re trying to take the legislature in my state. I don’t consider it imprudent to worry that gun purchases could get California level hard in the near future, and if you can find what you want at a price not too crazy might as well not wait. People sitting tight buying no guns or ammo this year but wanting to buy more eventually will look smart if Trump wins and prices plummet. People who added things they wanted or needed through the shortages could have the last laugh if Democrats do well and start Californicating the rest of America, and the market reacts to that looming through next year. The “calm down, stop swamping the stores, everything always goes back to normal” crowd may be in for an unpleasant surprise until/unless our new 6-3 Scotus strikes some things down.

Two ARs, one 700, the other 650. 700 dollar one was a budget package my Gunsmith offered when the stored had nothing cheap left. The second was a complete upper and lower bought separately and put together.

One Kimber Custom 2 9mm 2 tone. 800 with tax. Maybe 1-150 bucks high but oh well, yolo.

One S&W 360 j frame new for under 400.

Still want a 6-8 inch 29 but that will have to wait.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  19. Colt M-4

Colt M-4 AK-74 Silver Member

You guys will laugh at this one.2 buds in town already owned them so i figure better get one also. And i figured if they ever ban everything with Hi -cap and anything they think is Assault in Whatever cal. I have a 5 shot revolver. no bump stock no large mag just a simple 5 shot. Who would even think it will hurt anything....

And in the Apocalypse if Raptors and T-Rex are running wild i have that covered.
    not that i think anything i said will ever happen. I just like them, And when some whip out pix069122207.jpg a 22 or 38 or a 9 or 45 and say hey Charlie this is a gun..

you shadow them with The Beast from Yucca Flats....

20. ede

ede

I'm more of either an impule buyer or a sujetive buyer if you have someone to mention a new gun to me. I'm also a buyer because a have a magazine, scope ring or some similar part I can use.