close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any paddlers on here?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by TenMillimeter, Feb 17, 2006.

1. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

I'm about to get back into paddling after about a 7 year hiatus. I miss really looking forward to weekends, the mountains, and getting out of the house more.

I was mainly into whitewater kayaking (creeking & playboating), with some canoeing as well. This time around, I want to get into ww canoeing, so I'm looking to buy a used solo canoe.

Does anyone know of any related web forums, so that I can get back up to speed on what's going on, what's a good boat to get, etc.?

2. noway

noway

Will I paddle but non of this ocean kayaking or whitewater, I'm stopped the kayaking thing like 12years ago and don't plan on ever going back into it ;) I perfer a canoe or canoe like boat in small to medium width rivers/creeks/streams and for fishing.

Have you looked at any of the kayaking magazines? They have good reviews on kayaks and gear.

3. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

Whitewater Kayaking here

I bought a brand new Pyranha i:4 last year. Great boat! I've only been to the Ocoee once because it's a nice haul + week camping trip. My friend and I usually run the same class II-III river because it is literally 10 mins from my house.

4. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Many years ago I told my wife, if she would buy me a canoe, I would paddle her.

I've been paddling for years.

Where did I originally hear that? Old Mae West movie?

5. salvo

salvo Pass the ammo

I have a OceanKayak Prowler 15 that I use for fishing and diving.
    Mostly either in the Colorado River or Baja.
    [​IMG]

6. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

When I got out of the sport, I sold my Dagger RPM. Man, I loved that boat.

I used to paddle the Ocoee. Ever done Little River Canyon? I've done it twice, from the upper section, all the way down to the park. Didn't do the Suicide section, but I did walk it when the water was down.

I'm mainly looking for a source of used boats. Buying a new one would get me a divorce real quick ;f

7. RugerFan58

RugerFan58

Paddling.net has alot of good stuff on it. I just bought a homemade rack for my Tacoma that'll haul either our two kayaks or 2 canoes safely. Without question do your homework BEFORE you buy anything. There are some really nice boats out there that can be had for a resonable price.;c

8. Fear Night

Not yet. We have been watching the water levels for a good LRC run but we are both reluctant to run it. LRC Suicide is definately another level above the Ocoee! We will probably port that section or maybe scout and run what we can.

9. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

Yeah, I would never run Suicide, even in my younger days when I was (or thought I was) immortal.

If I recall correctly we put in at Humpty Bump and ran all the way down from there. The put-in was the worst part - we had to lower our boats down a cliff from the canyon edge, and one guy broke his foot falling the last 10' or so down the cliff. After that, it was pretty much letting our boats slide down ahead of us on ropes, while trying to not get pulled down by them. Of course, we were exhausted by the time we hit the water.

I've paddled about 90% of the popular runs in the SE, including Chattooga IV, the Tellico and Nolichucky, and I have to say LRC topped them all in overall fun, remoteness and scenery - especially that turquoise blue water. Just be sure to have at least 1000 cfs, or it'll be real scrapey. That usually equates to a whole week of rain beforehand (but I'm sure you already know that).

I'm getting pumped about getting back into paddling. I'll have to sell all of my R/C model airplane stuff to afford it (no way I'm selling any guns or bows).

10. Fear Night

BTW where did you camp when at the Ocoee? We went to the Thunder rock camp grounds. It was so great because we could put in at the Olympic course, paddle down and literally take out right at our tents ;f

11. Sharker

Sharker

I fish out of my kayaks in the ocean. But seeing this is about white water, the only input I have is try the Gulley and New River in WV. I thought I had brass, but the guys in the kayaks blew my mind away with some of their stunts.
    WV is a beautiful place, and all the locals go down to the big rapids to watch the wipeouts....
    Again, I dont think youll see me do it, but it is awesome to watch.

12. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

I've never camped when I paddled the Ocoee. I did camp at the Nantahala once, and was able to take out at my campsite like you did. That was pretty cool.

13. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

We, as a family, like to go canoeing. It's a good excuse to get out to some beautiful lakes for a day of relaxing in nature's beauty. We've also found an awesome camping spot in the Sierras that is only accessable by a paddled boat. It's really private and secluded almost like having our own private lake.

14. TexAg

TexAg

Wife just bought me a 16' Old Town Camper :rollsmiley: