Any other Jazz freaks?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by digthisbigcrux, Aug 23, 2007.

1. digthisbigcrux

digthisbigcrux stooge

Surely I can' be the only one who likes Coltrane and things that go boom.

2. Steve-O

Steve-O

No, you're not. Got another one here. I like a wide variety of music. And while I can listen to what's called the smooth jazz of today, my favorite is what happened from the 20's through the 60's.

P.S.: I like your avatar:thumbsup:

3. digthisbigcrux

digthisbigcrux stooge

Right on, Steve-O! Can't say I'm a fan of Smooth Jazz..but I too listen to a wide variety of music. Everything from Sidney Bechet and Louie Armstrong and the Hot Five...to Ornette, Trane, Mingus, Hank Mobley, Don Cherry, Lee Morgan etc.... too
    current jazz. Big fan of Chris Potter and Dave Holland as well.

I've got about 7K CD's and about 1000 pieces of vinyl. Punk, Bluegrass, Jazz, classic country..every thing is represented. I'm starting to get into classical, but its a lot to digest.

4. spero525

spero525 HE did it.

<--- not a jazz freak.

But learning to appreciate it. I hated jazz until about 2 years ago when I made myself take a class to learn how it worked.

I have since learned that I like Dave Grusin, Charlie Parker, Art Tatum, Bill Evans, and the Pat Metheny Group.

I do not like most modern jazz (is that what you're calling "smooth jazz", or is there a more specific definition of it?).

<--- classical freak.

~Spero [​IMG]

5. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I have been a listener of Jazz fusion since the 70's. Chick Corea, Jean Luc Ponty, Billy Cobham, Pat Metheny etc.

6. digthisbigcrux

digthisbigcrux stooge

What I mean by smooth jazz is Kenny G, Rick Braun, Boney James...its usually pretty soulless, with an electronic backbeat..little to no improvisation. Just cliche licks that are are the least offensive to their fans.

I dig my share of fusion too...Weather Report w/ Jaco, Return to Forever..I'm a fan of guitarist Steve Khan as well.

7. trane fan

trane fan

Seems like I've heard of "trane". ;)

Seriously, Coltrane, Miles, Monk, Evans and Mingus were responsible for some of the best music ever made.

8. digthisbigcrux

digthisbigcrux stooge

Ahh yes, it would seem so..and you're from NC. The world owes a tip of the hat to North Carolina, specifically Hamlet and Rocky Mount for birthing Trane and Monk alone. Plus I know quite a few other fine folks from that state.

Have you heard about the new set that Impulse is putting out called Interplay? Here's a blurb I read

"On September 18, Prestige will release Interplay, a five-CD set of recordings from 1956-1958, an incredibly fruitful time for Coltrane. Interplay collects seven full albums: Tenor Conclave, Interplay for 2 Trumpets and 2 Tenors, The Cats, Wheelin' & Dealin', Modern Jazz Survey 2 (later issued as Dakar), Cattin' with Coltrane and Quinichette, and Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane.

Many of these recordings feature Trane in unusual collaborative configurations, ceding the marquee to others and periodically recording without a true bandleader. A good number of Interplay's tracks are by bands with more than a few horn players-- a relative scarcity in Coltrane's catalog-- and the album-length collaboration with guitarist Kenny Burrell represents a rare meeting of Trane's horn and six strings. In addition to Burrell, collaborators featured on the set include Paul Qunichiette, Hank Mobley, Mal Waldron, Art Taylor, Jimmy Cobb, Paul Chambers, and Tommy Flanagan."

I don't think any other musician has touched the soul of as many people Trane has. I've listened to A Love Supreme hundreds, if not a thousand times, and there is still a bit of anticipation when I know I'm going to listen to it again.

9. elsielover

elsielover

No, you're not! Although I've spent my professional life playing classical music for over 36 years, I love jazz. I just wish that I had that kind of encyclopedic mind that remembers everything I've heard and loved - tunes and players, etc.

10. LinuxKnight

LinuxKnight Edge Of Reality

<-- BIG Jazz freak!

I too have a rather eclectic taste.
    Though I don't really like the new "smooth" jazz stuff really either except for in elevators ;)

Some of my favs- Miles, Coltrane, Dizzy, Maynard, Wynton Marsalis, Satchmo (Armstrong), uhm I could go on forever :supergrin:
    I also like the big band stuff- Miller, Goodman, etc, and some of the new swing stuff like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. And don't forget the singers- Ella, Billie, and so on.

I am also a musician, college level stuff not pro.
    I play trumpet and French Horn mainly, also a little trombone.

In HS my senior project was a video and essay about the video, of our annual spring jazz concert, in which I did a flugelhorn solo (I think it was a Chuck Mangione piece).

My wife and I met in a marching youth band, Santa Ana Winds, we both were playing marching French Horn ;)

11. dbmonster

dbmonster

good to be in the company of jazz enthusiast. I was introduced to mainstream thru fusion jazz first then got deeper when i got to listen to weather report..Jaco was the one i admired and like his playing then listened to chick correa then graduated to listening to dizzie, maynard ferguson, Armstrong and all artist mentioned in this thread.. was happy when i got to listen first to an artist that will make it big later... listening seems to sharpen you in the long run..

12. mouser

mouser CLM

add Ella & Dinah (Washington, for the uninitiated)!

13. 84S

84S

I'm listening to Charles Mingus right now

14. digthisbigcrux

digthisbigcrux stooge

Nice...which one? Blue Note just released a lost Mingus CD w/ Eric Dolphy that was recorded at Cornell in 64. It's pretty amazing. Mingus x 3, picanthropus erectus and The Black Saint and the sinner lady are probably in my top 10 of all time. I also like the trio recording he did with Hampton Hawes and Danny Richmond very much.

15. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Got an opportunity to shake hands with Pat Metheny, Christian McBride, and Antonio Sanchez a week ago.

Anybody heard the new John Scofield Trio CD "This Meets That" ? Excelent!

16. jazzmanDK

jazzmanDK

Been a professional jazz bassist (upright) since 1952. I grew up with Parker, Diz, Art Tatum, Stan Getz, Zoot Sims, Brew Moore, James Moody, Clifford Brown, Max Roach, Tal Farlow, any number of Herman Herds, Gil Evans, Bill Evans, Scott Lafaro, Paul Chambers, Ray Brown, Milt Hinton...not to mention the Kansas City crowd or the seminal New Orleans players who are all but forgotten unless you're a true mouldy fig....I could go on and on. Lived in New York in the late fifties, early 60's, recording and gigging with the best.

Kenny G?????????????????????????????????

Smmoth jazz may well be the Muzak of the 21st century. Glad I moved to Florida where there aren't that many elevators :)

And BTW, the nickname Zip was conferred on me by James Rushing......

Zip

17. digthisbigcrux

digthisbigcrux stooge

Atlas,

Yeah I've heard Sco's new release and am diggin the hell out of it. I'm also digging what he did with MMW, Outlouder, last year.

Zip,

Hats off to you. I've played electric bass for about 17 years and picked up my first upright about 18 months ago. It's a whole other beast. I'm also a fan of Scott Lafaro and Mr. PC..as well as The Judge and Ray Brown. I also like Doug Watkins, Ron Carter and Dr. Art Davis (RIP) very much.

What are your thoughts on some of the current bassist on the scene? I work in the Jazz record industry so I've had the thrill of meeting some great young bassist
    I'm a huge fan of Avishai Cohen, who played with Chick Corea for quite some time. I'm also impressed with Ruben Rogers and Esperanza Spalding

cheers!

18. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

I've been enjoying "The Joe Locke/Geoffrey Keezer Group - Live in Seattle" recently. It's kinda fusion-y, a very nice live record.
    If you enjoy the vibraphone you may enjoy Joe Locke:
    http://www.joelocke.com/

John Scofield released a live cd a couple years ago:
    "John Scofield Trio - Enroute" I think it's great, featuring Bill Stewart on drums and Steve Swallow on bass.

On www.pandora.com I've been introduced to Corey Christiansen and Vic Juris. I'm looking forward to hearing more from them.

If you enjoy a piano trio you really should check out Tord Gustavsen.

Anybody here listen to Tierney Sutton and her band?
    I heard her live in early '06, can't wait 'till next time.

19. digthisbigcrux

digthisbigcrux stooge

I haven't heard the record, but I saw Geoff and Joe perform in Rochester a few years ago...they were on fire

Agreed on Tord. I've only heard a couple of his ECM releases, but liked them very much.

And speaking of Piano players...I've seen Tierney Sutton a few times..and while she's very good...her band just smokes. Christian Jacobs, her piano player, is just a monster. Check out his last two records as a leader, which feature the rest of Tierney's band...Ray Brinker and Trey Henry. One was a tribute to Jules Styne and the other a tribute to Michel Petrucciani. Excellent playing.

20. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Tord Gustavsen has a third release from early this year titled "Being There".
    It's every bit as fine as the first two CDs.

I envy you having seen Joe Locke and company live. I only came across him recently, and I'm watching his concert schedule hoping to catch him perform somewhere. The "Live In Seattle" CD is great. He has a new CD titled "Sticks and Strings" I'm looking forward to.

I certainly agree about Christian Jacobs and all of Tierney Sutton's band. When I heard them last year I had a front-row seat and they cooked. Tierney had been conducting a clinic at the small New York college where they were playing and she had been ill, so the band was more up-front to relieve her a little. She really features them on her records anyway, and I especially dig the way Christian Jacobs frames her vocals.

Another female whose band I admire is Patricia Barber. Heard her last year also, and had a front-row seat there as well. Dynamite performance!