any other IT or networking gurus that can help me troubleshoot something

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sigman78, Aug 17, 2007.

1. sigman78

sigman78

I have a new dell laptop with the intel 4965agn card installed and everything works great except I only get 2 bars of signal when I am anywhere near my wireless router, but when I go to the back of the house or outside I have all 5 bars. I have tried 2 new routers by linksys and belkin and changed all configurations but still the same thing. I contacted Dell and they did all the usual troubleshooting and decided they would send me another wireless card since they think mine may be faulty. You would that the signal would be 100% around the router but its only around 20-30% if I am within 20 - 30 ft from it. I don't have any connection poblems but i think I should have great signal when I am in the same room or even the ajoining room as my router.

I did try moving the router to a different spot in the room, and did unplug and remove the batteries in all other wireless devices but still the same wierd problem, and I am wondering if my cathedral ceiling in room where my router is might be the problem somehow since I have racked my brain on every other thing.

2. Kingslayer

Kingslayer Guest

There is something in that room that is interering with your laptop's wireless card. That is why when you leave the room, all your bars go up.

My first guess is 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless phone.

3. gsbell

gsbell Consumed

:agree:
    Did you try changing the channels around?

4. sigman78

sigman78

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  5. MysterBoxman

MysterBoxman Guest

The signals are probably rebounding off all the surfaces in that room and cancelling each other out.

If there is no connection problem I wouldn't worry about it.

6. GAtkins

GAtkins CLM #58 CLM

I get higher strength from my next door neighbor's wireless than from mine some of the time. I live in a house, too, not an apartment.

Glenn

7. DirtyJosh

DirtyJosh makin' heat...

so you havent gotten the new wireless card yet right?

a new card will probably fix it. We have had several bad wireless NICs from dell that just wont work right. Try to borrow a pcmcia card if you can and test it that way.

8. gsbell

gsbell Consumed

Well then dude its got to be the NSA monitoring your activities

9. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

screw that man, take the phone totally out of the wall and unplug the base station of it too. Totally power down that phone and see if the bars go up on the laptop.

10. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Borrow another notebook with wireless and see if it does the same thing.

11. malkore

malkore Guest

the wiring running inside your walls also creates interference.

12. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

That wiring is important though, because it is what enables the NSA to wiretap his innernets

13. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I had a similar problem when I was using a dlink router and dlink wireless card in one of my bedrooms. I swapped the card in the pc and used a Linksys card and that fixed the problem. I would be interested to know if a different type of pc and wireless interface experience the same problem. The idea of trying a pcmcia interface and different manufacturer would be a good comparison as well.

It shouldn't be difficult for you to get one of your friends to bring their laptop over to your house to test and will help you rule out your wireless interface...

14. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I've got/had a similar problem...

I went so far as to put a high gain directional antenna on the wireless router... That helped more with outside reception than inside reception.. I could get into my wireless network more than a block away in the direction the antenna was pointing... but in the house it didn't get much better than 85%..

I ended up taking the antenna down and switching to channel 11.. it works just fine now... although it still says only 85% just a few feet from the access point.. no more dropouts though..

I believe it has something to do with almost everything being wireless in our neighborhood.. When I take my laptop outside I can see 8 to 10 wireless networks..... mine being the only one that isn't open... and I'll bet there are a dozen cordless phones..

A funny story related to this.. I was telling one of my neighbors how easy it would be to use his open wireless network to bittorrent some movies.. I was thinking that it would encourage him to at least enable WEP to have a little bit of security.. Instead he just changed the name of his wireless router from "Linksys" to "Hackers Stay Away".. :upeyes:

15. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

RF is funny stuff - the antennas in these units are often odd-shaped, and I'm told they have funny propagation patterns, especially in the newer multi-antenna base stations.

Combine that with interference, RF reflections and cancel zones, wiring, etc., it's pretty common.

In any case, the first test for any low-reception area next to a radio device is to move the antenna - try turning the base station 90 degrees, so it's standing on it's side, and the antennas are now horizontal instead of vertical. Check and see what that does to your reception. If it changes, you're most likely working with some kind of RF reflection/cancellation, etc. Then move the base station or re-orient it into something that works long-term. Be aware, though, that changing the orientation also affects the range of the unit in other directions.

Good luck!

16. sigman78

sigman78

17. sigman78

sigman78