Glock Talk banner

Any other 19X skeptics?

15K views 274 replies 95 participants last post by  GlockTrader45 
#1 ·
I hate to be that guy and start a semi-troll thread, but the onslaught of 19x praise has me really confused. The Gen 5 came out and threads were all hating on its lack of innovation. The Gen 5 actually did bring some new improvements, like a better OEM trigger. Of course the 19X will share those improvements, but...

It seems like the most gimickey thing Glock has ever released. If one is to conceal (or open) carry it, there is nothing to gain from the shorter slide. If I’m going to endure a shorter sight radius, snappier slide timing, and brass to the face, it should at LEAST conceal as well as a standard G19.

It balances so much better everyone says. Game changer. What about a G19 with +2 extensions? Problem solved for under 50 bucks.

I think ultimately it looks cool, people love the baby poo brown slide, and it’s a mass delusion of new gun syndrome. Am I the only one thinking these bad, bad heretical thoughts?

#2 ·
I’m purchasing one to use as a suppressor host. Threaded barrels for the G17.5 are limited, but any G19 threaded barrel fits the G19x. The G19.5 grip is too short for my hands, so the 19x is a good solution for me. The shorter slide length will help the suppressed setup balance better.

As a lefty and Gen 2 fan I really like the Gen 5. The mag well flare on the 19.5 makes the grip feel weird in my hand. If the 19x were not a Gen 5 frame I would have no interest in it as the coyote poop color isn’t appealing. I do like that they coated the slide like my FNX 45 FDE. I always thought the colored frame/black slide guns look bad.

#3 ·
I’m purchasing one to use as a suppressor host. Threaded barrels for the G17.5 are limited, but any G19 threaded barrel fits the G19x. The G19.5 grip is too short for my hands, so the 19x is a good solution for me.
Suppressor host is by far the best explanation I’ve heard for a use for these guns. I think a lot of folks are using them as the newest bling in their 4 o’clock Crossbreed.

#157 ·
I have a gen 2 glock 23, and the brand new glock 19x.

I have shot the 19x. I like the balance and the feel of these guns. Thepistol shoot like a glock is supposed to feel and shoot. I am going to add a supressor barrel if not for any thing else for the longer barrel. But for everyone ragging on glock for releasing these pistols....dont knock it until you try it.

#214 ·
Everyone assumes folks are the same.

I prefer the Glock 17 (cause the 19 is a smidge small in grip) for carry but find the longer barrel a literal pain sometimes.

The 19X is the ideal configuration for me. Previously I had tried the 19 with 17 mag and xgrip, but the hump at the base of the grip is in just the wrong spot for my Pinky. Not as bad as the Gen 5 cutout (which is perfectly awfully placed for my hands), but annoying.

I plan to buy a 19X to replace my 17 for EDC soon.

#11 ·
I'm not sold on the gen 5 19 and don't plan to buy a 19x, either, but there are a few things that could be argued in favored of the 19x. Such as:

- 19x could work well for open carry/duty holster. Longer grip carries more rounds while shorter slide could clear holster faster. Similar in size to a P220 Compact, etc.

- 19x doesn't have the cutout in the front of the grip unlike gen 5.

Until I change my mind, I'm stuck living in the past with my 'old' gen 4.

#17 ·
To really be sold, I'm waiting for a black version, but while I didn't think it was a great idea at first, I'm beginning to want one. I carry AIWB and don't have a problem concealing a G19 or G17. My favorite right now is the Raven Eidolon for the G17... Problem is my G17Gen5 barrel rusted from carrying (I'm guessing the barrel is pushed close to the body and results in excess moisture and salt). I'd love to throw a 19 length slide in that holster with a 17 length grip. I've run my G19Gen5 in it and it works great but I'd prefer the larger grip since it conceals fine and draws more consistently... not to mention the two extra rounds.

Those who say it's a bad idea simply don't use a gun in the way the 19X would be most effective (no big deal... other guns are available), or don't use a gun enough (get off the couch).

In short... It has a place. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Talking crap is ignorance.

#21 ·
Problem is my G17Gen5 barrel rusted from carrying (I'm guessing the barrel is pushed close to the body and results in excess moisture and salt).
Please share pics. Did it happen on the barrel hood or smiley? I’ve seen this on new Glocks but thought (hoped) they’d solved the problem. I sweat like a pig on my 2001 G26 and she shows no trace of corrosion. Not so with my PUU Gen3 19, it became badly rusted on the smiley and a few other places.

#23 · (Edited)
Everyone seems to think Glock released the 19X as an answer to a question about concealed pistols. It is simply a civilian version of the MHS submission, just like the civilian version of the M17 gun they are releasing. People need to stop trying to fit it into a category it was never intended to fill. No one is beating up the FN 509, it was derived from their MHS submission and uses the same concept.

Now for the practical uses of the 19X style design. The longer grip gives a better hold for folks who think the 19 is a tad to short. Yes you can do it with X grip extensions and such, but they also create some serious pinch points if your not careful. It is far easier to run the 17 grip at speed without having to worry as much about having issues with mag changes. Longer grip typically work better for this. When is the last time you saw a pistol designed for gun-fighting with a compact or abbreviated grip? You also have more rounds on board with factory mags and not having to worry about adapters moving around, or taking up room in a pocket on backup magazines.

The 19 slide, it perfect for use as a holstered duty weapon as sometimes longer guns and yes even the 17s holsters dig into car seats causing the holster to ride into your side. We as officers don't have the luxury of picking a holster that tucks in close and rides high, so the 19X is a very viable option for LE use.

I personally see no advantage of the 17 slide over the 19 slide. Ok so you may get a few more FPS out of your load, but the longer sight radius is not a factor for me and many others. I can easily make a 50 yard shot with a 19, and do the same with the 17. I prefer the recoil characteristics of the 19 over the 17 anyway. So why do I need a longer slide? Shorter slide pistols typically feel more balanced to me as well. Physics, less hanging forward to the center line of my grip equals better balance.

The Sig P320 Carry uses the same principal and was actually conceived a the request of law enforcement agencies that wanted a full size grip with a shorter slide.

The 19X makes a perfect range training gun, especially with the 19 rounders. Who cares about concealment on a range gun.

The color is the biggest drawback currently at least from a LE standpoint. While is it cool and all, it looks like crap against a dark blue navy uniform. A version like the 19X but in black is in the works, no idea when it will show up.

The 19X has its place, and purpose just like every other glock. Why folks are getting so worked up about it not fitting into a CCW role as well as they would like is beyond me. Buy the 43 if you want a small compact 9mm for CCW. If you want something bigger get a 19 or a 17.

I know Haters are just gonna hate.

TXPO

#25 ·
The 19 slide, it perfect for use as a holstered duty weapon as sometimes longer guns and yes even the 17s holsters dig into car seats causing the holster to ride into your side. We as officers don't have the luxury of picking a holster that tucks in close and rides high, so the 19X is a very viable option for LE use.
TXPO
I’ve noticed this phenomenon with my 17 OWB around the farm. Damn good point; I concede that maybe the 19x does have more merits and applications than I first thought.

#29 ·
If you don't see the purpose for the 19X, it's because you don't use Glocks for the purpose the 19X is perfect for - carrying in the open and shooting and reloading fast. It's perfect for competition shooters, soldiers and police. Sucks for CCW, so buy a Glock designed for that purpose - they have plenty. You may as well be saying "this Glock 17L is stupid, how does that long slide help it conceal better???":upeyes:

If all you do with your gun is carry it around and occasionally shoot a bullseye target real slow at the local indoor range, there's no reason to get a 19X.

If your use for the gun is shooting fast, as in GSSF/USPSA/IDPA competition, or self-defense where concealment is not a factor, the shorter slider and sight radius is faster to aim and the longer grip is faster to reload, if your hand is too big for the regular 19. I wish they'd make a 23X and I'd buy one to replace my home defense 23.

As I have mentioned several times, the Glock 19X is EXACTLY the gun I have been telling people I wished Glock would make for at least 10 years now. I should sue them for stealing my idea.

As for "innovation" - why would I complain about "lack of innovation"? I buy the guns, not stock in the company. I care about whether the gun has features that are useful to me, not whether the company has a scam to convince people who already own their guns to replace them with slightly different versions every year, like a car maker.

#31 ·
If your use for the gun is shooting fast, as in GSSF/USPSA/IDPA competition, or self-defense where concealment is not a factor, the shorter slider and sight radius is faster to aim and the longer grip is faster to reload, if your hand is too big for the regular 19. I wish they'd make a 23X and I'd buy one to replace my home defense 23.

Don't fret....might come sooner than you think....:)

TXPO

#32 ·
I like the slide length of the 19 over the 17. I find I am a touch fast aiming and it should clear the holster slightly faster. That is splitting hairs on things that don't matter much in my life now but on a service weapon it might. I haven't warmed up to the gen 4 much less the gen 5. The longer grip doesn't factor much for me. I carried a 19 as a service weapon for many years a 17 before that. The 19 did everything the 17 did but concealed better. My hands aren't big enough to care about 1/2 inch.

#33 ·
I'm considering a g19 for off duty when my agency goes to 9mm later in the year. I'm intrigued my the 19x, BUT- I can get a regular 19 way cheaper blue label, so I don't know if the advantages if any are worth the additional money. 2- I already have a g26, and with magpul 12 rounders i already get 13 rounds ready to go with a 21 round spare. Not even sure if i even need a 19. Sooooo....i don't know. I'm gonna have to play with one and see if it's worth buying.

#34 ·
Everyone seems to think Glock released the 19X as an answer to a question about concealed pistols. It is simply a civilian version of the MHS submission, just like the civilian version of the M17 gun they are releasing. People need to stop trying to fit it into a category it was never intended to fill. No one is beating up the FN 509, it was derived from their MHS submission and uses the same concept.

Now for the practical uses of the 19X style design. The longer grip gives a better hold for folks who think the 19 is a tad to short. Yes you can do it with X grip extensions and such, but they also create some serious pinch points if your not careful. It is far easier to run the 17 grip at speed without having to worry as much about having issues with mag changes. Longer grip typically work better for this. When is the last time you saw a pistol designed for gun-fighting with a compact or abbreviated grip? You also have more rounds on board with factory mags and not having to worry about adapters moving around, or taking up room in a pocket on backup magazines.

I personally see no advantage of the 17 slide over the 19 slide. Ok so you may get a few more FPS out of your load, but the longer sight radius is not a factor for me and many others. I can easily make a 50 yard shot with a 19, and do the same with the 17. I prefer the recoil characteristics of the 19 over the 17 anyway. So why do I need a longer slide? Shorter slide pistols typically feel more balanced to me as well. Physics, less hanging forward to the center line of my grip equals better balance.

The Sig P320 Carry uses the same principal and was actually conceived a the request of law enforcement agencies that wanted a full size grip with a shorter slide.

The 19X makes a perfect range training gun, especially with the 19 rounders. Who cares about concealment on a range gun.

The color is the biggest drawback currently at least from a LE standpoint. While is it cool and all, it looks like crap against a dark blue navy uniform. A version like the 19X but in black is in the works, no idea when it will show up.

The 19X has its place, and purpose just like every other glock. Why folks are getting so worked up about it not fitting into a CCW role as well as they would like is beyond me. Buy the 43 if you want a small compact 9mm for CCW. If you want something bigger get a 19 or a 17.

I know Haters are just gonna hate.

TXPO
If you don't see the purpose for the 19X, it's because you don't use Glocks for the purpose the 19X is perfect for - carrying in the open and shooting and reloading fast. It's perfect for competition shooters, soldiers and police. Sucks for CCW, so buy a Glock designed for that purpose - they have plenty. You may as well be saying "this Glock 17L is stupid, how does that long slide help it conceal better???":upeyes:

If all you do with your gun is carry it around and occasionally shoot a bullseye target real slow at the local indoor range, there's no reason to get a 19X.

As I have mentioned several times, the Glock 19X is EXACTLY the gun I have been telling people I wished Glock would make for at least 10 years now. I should sue them for stealing my idea.

As for "innovation" - why would I complain about "lack of innovation"? I buy the guns, not stock in the company. I care about whether the gun has features that are useful to me, not whether the company has a scam to convince people who already own their guns to replace them with slightly different versions every year, like a car maker.
Both of you bring up great points and your points prompted me to revisit and clarify some of my thoughts. I can’t pick my duty gun so I was guilty of dismissing it on basis of how other compact slide pistols with a full size grip felt to me. Both of you make valid points.

#35 ·
Handled one a couple days ago felt like just about any other glock to me. I could see utility in it ( my current glocks are a gen 2 19, gen 3 26 and a 42. They really do everything I need a glock to do, but did feel the mag changes with the 19 x could be a bit smoother and faster, and liked it comes with metal sights right out of the gate. The price ( at least with the it is New hype) is a bit much to swallow.

#36 ·
I like it, but I'm waiting awhile to see if a black version arrives and/or the buying frenzy wanes. This will make a great night stand gun and would work well in most any G19 holster I already have for open carry when that is appropriate. Although I'm sure I could conceal it without issue, I've got better options for that duty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.