Glock Talk banner
41 - 60 of 275 Posts

· With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,892 Posts
I couldn’t agree more. It’s a gun that’s less concealable than a G19 and it’s less accurate (shorter sight radius) than the G17. It combines the least attractive feature of each gun instead of the best feature.

· Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
If your use for the gun is shooting fast, as in GSSF/USPSA/IDPA competition, or self-defense where concealment is not a factor, the shorter slider and sight radius is faster to aim .
You literally don’t see G19’s in the top ranks of USPSA and with maybe 1 exception GSSF. What you might gain in transition speed is quickly lost in timing on splits, and the additional powder needed to make power factor or make the stock gun function.

As far as IDPA goes; well...

· Registered
2,694 Posts
I'm sure the Glock 19x will sell well and if people find it is a better fit and more to their liking than a standard G17 or G19, good for them. I still wonder how much of the actual differences some people find between the G17 and G19x are mostly psychological. It's less than half an inch difference in length. A lot of people act like the G17 is a huge gun, but I think that is possibly more of a perception issue rather than practical reality. Consider the larger G34 and what Massad Ayoob said about it.

"The extended barrel and slide certainly don’t size this gun out of the “tactical” realm. What we have to remember to maintain perspective is that the so-called “full size” Glock 17 and 22 aren’t all that big to start with. Let’s compare the Model 34 with some other popular fighting handguns that are routinely carried concealed.
Hide-Out Fighter
Note that the Model 34 is actually shorter than the standard size 1911 pistol, the Beretta 92 and a 4″ service revolver. It’s not only portable, it’s actually concealable."

Source: http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/archives/81

· Registered
6,861 Posts
I hate to be that guy and start a semi-troll thread, but the onslaught of 19x praise has me really confused. The Gen 5 came out and threads were all hating on its lack of innovation. The Gen 5 actually did bring some new improvements, like a better OEM trigger. Of course the 19X will share those improvements, but...

It seems like the most gimickey thing Glock has ever released. If one is to conceal (or open) carry it, there is nothing to gain from the shorter slide. If I’m going to endure a shorter sight radius, snappier slide timing, and brass to the face, it should at LEAST conceal as well as a standard G19.

It balances so much better everyone says. Game changer. What about a G19 with +2 extensions? Problem solved for under 50 bucks.

I think ultimately it looks cool, people love the baby poo brown slide, and it’s a mass delusion of new gun syndrome. Am I the only one thinking these bad, bad heretical thoughts?
First, Glock is far from the first to produce such a “concept”. It’s 100% about marketing and nothing else. It’s about offering a model that hasn’t previously been released to bolster sales. If you like em help yourself. That’s what America is about.

· With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,892 Posts
Less accurate? In whose hands?
Sight radius can and does affect shooting accuracy for many folks. There’s a reason why many of the better GSSF shooters are using G17, G17L, and G34 in competition.

· NRA Patron Member, Blue Knights Member
685 Posts
If you carry OWB, the shorter slide might help hide the pistol under a jacket.
Offset by the bigger grip sticking out the side of the jacket

· On the Border
16,854 Posts
My interest in it is out of curiosity to see how the balance and timing would feel in a 'backwards' configuration. I do like the feel of a 19 with a 140mm mag, but that's not quite the same thing. And the extended grip doesn't diminish as the gun is fired.

· Premium Member
42,447 Posts
The 19x was not meant to be a concealed carry pistol, it was the military's MHS model and meant to be carried out in the open, pretty easy to figure out ...if it was meant for concealing it would be a lot smaller in its frame...

Correct, but to shorten the barrel, slide and sight radius of a non-concealed weapon is just plain asinine. The worst possible thing one could do to a pistol.

· Registered
676 Posts
I have a G26 for some super discrete concealment. If I buy another Glock for concealed carry (which is pretty much the only reason I buy a new gun), it would be the G17, either Gen 4 or Gen 5. If I'm going to conceal a grip the size of the G17, I would rather have the extra length on the slide as well. From a carry stand point, I don't think the shorter slide gains you anything except of course an ounce or two lighter weight.

· Registered
4,386 Posts
I gotta say, I'm a bit intrigued with the 19X. Not necessarily for carry, more so for a range gun. Have not yet had the chance to see one in person and handle it. As others have stated, if I decide to get one, I'd prefer it in black. Not sold on the tan coloring. All-in-all, you've got to love that Glock is at least putting other gun variants and options out there. Bring it on Glock!

41 - 60 of 275 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.