Any optometrists on board?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Captain America, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Captain America

Captain America

I'm going to need glasses soon. How do you pick a good place to get them?

Assuming I get a good prescription, how do I know whether the lenses ground at anothe place are correct (other than they help my vision)?

Anybody use Wal-Mart?

Thanks!

2. ssfeldjager

ssfeldjager

That's pretty much how it works.

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I would go to a place like Lenscrafters etc for price. Places like Lenscrafters, America's Best and others will save you hundreds of dollars on glasses if they are having a sale. Other private optometrists could give better service but be much higher in cost.

4. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Then STOP!:wow:

My Father always told me I'd go BLIND if I didn't stop!:dancing:

Seriously, think about trying a local shop, at least for the first pair. The lenses are important, but almost any place can make (or have a lab make) the correct persciption. The extra time for frame selection, fitting and follow-up if needed is worth a couple extra bucks. There are some things that you can't put a price on, and being able to deal with the same person over the years and get trusted advice is one of them, rather that the McGlasses places like Pearl and such. Most local places will give you the same or better warranty, and give better advice. Mine finally talked me into going with progressive lenses...something I was dead set against, by telling me if I didn't like them, then they would replace them with normal bi-focal lenses (yeah...I'm an old fart). Best thing I've done for myself in a long time, and well worth the extra money for the lenses.