Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like knives and have a few nice ones but recently acquired a really nice Opinel #8 with an Olive wood handle and stainless blade. I used to have these as a kid and forgot how nice and utilitarian they are. A classic, timeless design for $24. Give a shout out if you are a fan and feel free to post a pic of your favorite knife if you aren’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
JAFO
4,643 Posts
A classic, timeless design for $24.
^^This, exactly this. They aren't a multi-tool, they're not a fancy OTF, and they're not a survival knife, but they are pure classy. I've had half a dozen over the years and enjoyed carrying one.

·
****** Viejo
29,542 Posts
I've got a few #8s all of which are carbon steel. Great slicers and inexpensive. tom. :thumbsup:

·
****** Viejo
29,542 Posts
I have a handful of them and enjoy them. I’m not a fan of the recent change in the lock, but otherwise they are good to go.
I wasn't aware of the lock change. Mine are all10~25 years old. tom.:cowboy:

Reactions: Dr. Bill

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
They basically put a limiter on how far you can turn the lock and you can only turn it one way to lock open. You used to be able to turn it either way to lock open. What happens now is it can run out of travel before you get a solid lock-up and you wind up with up and down play. I have two since the change, one is good and the other not so much.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I have two #8s. Years ago we had the printing account for Opinel's US distributor, Boker USA, and the guys there let us have them at cost. I paid 7 or 8 dollars for each one. One even has 'Boker USA' and business phone numbers stenciled on the wood handle.

They're great knives for the cost. If something happens to one, it's not the end of the world, considering the price. Excellent bang for the buck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I like knives and have a few nice ones but recently acquired a really nice Opinel #8 with an Olive wood handle and stainless blade. I used to have these as a kid and forgot how nice and utilitarian they are. A classic, timeless design for $24. Give a shout out if you are a fan and feel free to post a pic of your favorite knife if you aren’t.

My wife got me one for Christmas. I really likeit!

·
Registered
265 Posts

My wife got me one for Christmas. I really like it!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
If you just want a light weight pocket knife that slices like the dickens they are hard to beat. Plus they are charming. Downsides are they are a two handed proposition and a bit chunky in the pocket due to width. Also the handle can swell or shrink due to humidity, but you can take steps to limit most of these problems.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you just want a light weight pocket knife that slices like the dickens they are hard to beat. Pulse they are charming. Downsides are they are a two handed proposition and a bit chunky in the pocket due to width. Also the handle can swell or shrink due to humidity, but you can take steps to limit most of these problems.
I never quite got the one handed deployment thing on a carry knife truthfully. I have number of them that easily deploy this way but I rarely open them this way. I am using it to cut stuff, not a rapid deployment to save my life kind of deal. That’s what the Glock is for

Was reading about knives special forces guys carry and almost without exception, they all say that using knives as killing tools is mostly fantasy. They said the number one use for a knife is cutting stuff and opening MREs and even more useful than a knife is a multi tool like a Leatherman.

·
18,942 Posts
no.10 Slimline. High polished blade, olive wood handle. It'd basically a folding filet knife and deadly sharp with it's thin blade. Strictly for cutting not for use as a pry bar. Also not useful as a weapon since it takes two hand to open which is why I carry a gun now that I've reached an age where hand-to-hand combat is out of the question.

They are stiff to open at first but repeated use of some good lube like M-pro-7 will free them up and help protect from swelling due to moisture.

·
rip "Bud"
10,377 Posts
I had one years ago and found it awkward. I preferred my Cold Steel Voyagers until I learned the common Box knife or kitchen scissors handle 100% of my cutting needs.

·
Registered
14,127 Posts

I always kind of wanted a
# 13, just becuase....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts