close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

any one here work the parts counter????

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ELPALMER27, Mar 26, 2010.

1. ELPALMER27

ELPALMER27

anyone here work the parts counter at a automotive dealership. ie chevrolet, kia???? if so whats the average pay after a roughly a year??? i think im being screwed and may need to find another job!!

2. RichJ

RichJ

I have a buddy who has that job. I know he doesn't make that much but he's young and doesn't have much time in. If you haven't been there a while you're probably not getting screwed.

3. ELPALMER27

ELPALMER27

ive been in this buisness over 2 yrs and was promissed a raise at my current company after 3 months. its been 7 going on 8 months now and all i've been told is they were trying to schedual a meeting to discuss it. that was 2 weeks ago...

edit: i have a wife and a kid, and three weeks to either leave my wife and kid at my mother n laws and move out my self or get my raise and move my family out. i'd much rather do the latter of the two, i really dont want to split my family up. looks like no choice though... kinda confused and really worried about what to do. i'd like to stay with a single company for a while but other companies in my area are hiring for positions i qualify for with a base pay thats almost double what i am making. i have no problem starting over its just my work history shows i used to jump from job to job and i'd like to put an end to that... anyone got any advice????

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  4. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

The parts buisness isnt the best paying unless your a manager. I worked parts for around 7 years, different jobs.

From company to company and state to state, wages can vary greatly.

Whats your pay?

5. Kempo

Kempo

It normally doesn't pay much unless you get in to some kind of specialty parts business. I retired in 2008 after almost 40 years in the business. I began as a counterman at a jobber store. When my employer got into the govt. parts contracting business, I began working in that. I was with my last employer 35 years and when I retired I was grossing about 50,000 a year. Not that bad I guess, for someone with a only a high school education, but not great. Most of that 35 years was as a contracter operated (COPARS) store manager.

For me it was a good job though, because I got to work on several Air Force bases in the US and spent a total of about 12 years in SE Asia.

Right now in this area I believe unless you are the parts manager it only pays about $8-9 an hour.

6. JMS

JMS 02

You're not the captain, you don't need to go down with the ship. Get a position that pays double, keep your family together and stay put there. Your current company is playing you like a fiddle and you're staying around for peanuts. I've 'job hopped' a bit due to pay, hours, etc. I've been with my current job 2 years but realized there was no growth potential, so I got myself a job with the federal government. There's always better, the person holding you back is you.

Don't stay in a bad relationship, at home or at work (generally speaking).

7. ELPALMER27

ELPALMER27

thanks for the advice guys i work kia and isuzu we are the only isuzu dealer in the entire city as far as passenger vehicles my boss, and i are the only two parts guys in the dealership so that means i sell, stock, deliver, and pick up parts. not to mention cleaning and maintaining both warehouses. i "accidently":whistling: noticed one of my boss's check stubs while taking out the trash a while back in dec. some time. he makes roughly 60,000 a year. last month we grossed around 45,000 in kia parts sales alone. i have no clue about isuzu except that the sales ratio are at 70/30 with isuzu on top. i just got off work about 3hrs. ago and talked to my boss he said he wants to keep me at my base pay of 8.00 dollars phr. and try to switch me to salary so he doesnt have to worry about me going over my limited hrs. while also trying to get me 2% commission based off of the monthly sales (probably only kia). it kind of sounds to me like he wants to work my *** off for only a guestimated 500 extra a month? is that reasonable im only 23 so i know that effects pay not to mention my lack of knowledge as to whats fair....

8. deputy tom

deputy tom

Here the drivers get minimum wage.Countermen get a dollar more per hour.Managers get $27,00.00 per year with a 50 hour per week stipulation.The parts business isn't what it's cracked up to be.tom.:dunno:

9. handyman

handyman

Our parts make more than the techs I think there around 20.00 hr.

10. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Your getting ripped off for sure. I made $8.00 an hour when I was a junior in high school.

When I was in college I started out at $9.50 an hr.

After a few years I was up to around $13.00 or so but I only worked at that place for a year so I could have got more if I was there longer.

They put me on salery and I HATED IT!

I made less money and they worked me harder than when I was hourly obviously.

You boss is trying to **** you dude. Whatever you do, dont go salery.

Find something else. Im guessing that you could get hired at a napa or something and easily make $9.00 an hr.

Time to broden your horizon buddy.

11. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

That is a precarious position. Everyone I know of that has been in that position of delayed raises/delayed reviews was let go for lack of work.

Start looking for a new job NOW!

12. MadeInAmerica

MadeInAmerica

$8.00 hr sucks. Man up and get a new job.

13. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Double your pay?

Take the job and don't look back.

14. pacountryboy

pacountryboy

Check into working at a local University if available. colleges will always be around, decent pay

15. ELPALMER27

ELPALMER27

thanks guys i asked some of the techs here the same question.. they've been here for years.. i told them about the other company aswell and they're reply was... wtf are you still here for. i guess the general concensus is the same... it may be time to man up and move on... i think on monday im going to apply for the other job thanks for the advice guys...

16. zeke66

zeke66

Typical straw-boss, piss-ant middle-manager, mealy-mouthed horse-5h1t. You can bet your *** that he makes incentives based on how well he can screw you (and whoever else he's in charge of) over.

If you've got a better offer, take it. Bail out. Now.

17. Model19

Model19 Typical GnG

Advance Auto Parts starts you off at 10-13 dollars per hour if you make Parts Pro.