close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

any of you stainless steel gun owners just use gasoline and motor oil?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by antediluvianist, Aug 20, 2004.

1. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

How many of you owners of stainless steel guns use just gasoline to CLEAN your guns?

Mang Dolpho and the guys at Northstar just use gasoline for cleaning. Works pretty well.

As for lubrication, well, premium-grade SYNTHETIC motor oil has been suggested on many forums (Mobil-1 or Shell Helix.)

Even if world petroleum prices are increasing a lot at the moment , still the cost of using gasoline and motor oil - which come in containers as big as you want and therefore involve volume discounts - must be an awful lot cheaper than buying smallish bottles of CLP, FP-10 and such.

So, my feeling is that for owners of stainless steel guns (a "rust inhibitor" not very important), gasoline and synthetic motor oil might be quite sufficient.

2. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

I use kerosene instead of gasoline, but what the heck, it came from the same black goo so you can use gasoline if you want to.

I use the choice of the McLaren-Mercedes Formula 1 Team, Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Why? Well, I've tried almost all the synthetic motor oils in my cars, Shell Helix, Motul, Castrol, etc. and I always return to Mobil 1 on the next oil change.

3. 9MX

9MX Rei!

aha! kaya pala ang bilis pumutok ng LDA mo doc !;f

magaya nga, cooking oil kasi gamit ko eh;a

4. Hermo Gut

Hermo Gut

I do use Gasoline and sometimes kerosene.The former has better cleaning result. Just make sure that you're wearing industrial grade gloves, in a well ventilated area (I wear mask), and away from anything that could trigger fire/fire spark. I got this cleaning advice from several local gunsmith. I posted similar question about a year ago at 1911forum (Maintennance). Guess what, all negative feedbacks, from being health to fire hazard. Very true indeed ,pls. take all necessary safety precaution.

For gun oil ,I use FP10, Militec & Tetra Gun but for economy I use Mobil 1.

Toothpaste ,I use that one for polymer frame (sometimes JOY) followed by thorough air drying (hair dryer)& metal parts lubing.;f

5. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

My uncle says hi :)

I don't own a stainless piece, but like my uncle, I use Shell Helix Ultra for lube and naphtha (aka lighter fluid) for cleaning. Gasoline stinks way too much, even if I could address the safety/storage issues, though I'm sure it's a more vigorous cleaner.

I have to agree with Doc, though --Mobil-1 has a slight edge on Shell Helix: the viscosity rating is a dead giveaway. With Shell Helix Ultra or Mobil 1, I always add a drop of rose or sampaguita oil. Smells great (meaning my wife won't make an issue out of it, God bless her).

Looking for something even thicker, I've tried Shell Sprirax SAE 140 Axle Oil. This is a non-synthetic lube, meaning it has this sickening organic/tallow scent. This seems to be the upper limit of useful viscosity for my purposes-- it is really just thinned-down grease.

Outers Gun Oil is a little too thin, but smells really nice.
    I use it as a regular-fondling wipedown medium.

horge

6. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

that's a good idea, adding essence to the mobil 1, horge. won't stink as much. meron pa yata ako essence of orange.

i have not dunked my firearms in kerosene for a long time now bec. it doesn't get that dirty with the powder i use (VV n320). if i feel it needs a thorough cleaning, i use an aerosol engine degreaser and/or wd-40 followed by compressed air.

7. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Doc...

Spot test muna with essential oil of orange.

IIRC, it's the basis for many gum-removing super-cleaners.
    Not quite sure how it might affect polymers, plastic sights, or even good old blueing... but if it works out, let us know!

:) :) :) :)

8. 9MX

9MX Rei!

ayos yan, cleaining your pistol while having aromatherapy. masahista na lang ang kulang sensation na!;a

9. paltik45

paltik45

Mga pre subukan nyo mantika ng SARDINAS!!;f lintek sa dulas.....at lansa;z

kidding aside, I've been using kerosene for cleaning and SUPER-LUBE oil and grease for lubrication. They are cleaner to use and the grease wont run-off of your gun after several rounds. I use the oil on the firing mechanism( sear, hammer, trigger etc.) Motor oil tends to end up on my hands,face and shirt after several rounds ;g