close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any of you guys do Angel Flight?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by clubsoda22, Aug 17, 2004.

1. clubsoda22

clubsoda22

Since i've noticed that gun owners tend to be more civic minded than the general population, i was wordering if any of you pilots that own your own planes volunteer for Angel Flight?

2. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

Yes, I fly for Angel Flight of Georgia. www.angelflight-ga.org

Here's one of my latest patients:

[​IMG]

It is a very worthwhile use of your time and aircraft.

3. BillCola

BillCola Supreme Cmdr ®

I do. I got started a few months ago, and have flown a handful of missions. It's extremely rewarding, and I intend to continue.

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

No, the closest thing I've done is take a boy up in the helicopter for a long flight for "Make A Wish".

He was dying from leukemia.

Unlike the good feeling you get from helping when you are doing something like Angel Flight, I felt terrible whenever I thought my best and only thing I could do for a dying boy was something as insignificant as flying a helicopter.

The boy needed water and the best I could give him was dust.

I know it doesn't make sense but I still feel bad.

5. BillCola

BillCola Supreme Cmdr ®

Aw, jeez, M2... for the first time ever, I think you got that one all wrong.

You can't shoulder the horror of that young life being cut short. There are mysteries of this world that your or my CPU's just ain't fit to compute.

You probaby gave that little guy the best day ever in his shortened life. I'll bet he saw it from a whole different perspective.

Please re-consider this and report back...

6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Ya Bill,

I know what what you say is true and I believe it myself. I gave the boy a million dollar helicopter and told him I was his pilot and we would do anything he wanted to do. I think he enjoyed it and I enjoyed flying him around.

But for some reason I felt the best I was and the best I had to give just wasn't enough and I felt bad.

Well, I said it didn't make any sense,
    getting upset about a boy I only met for a couple hours.

Anyhow programs like Angel Flight are a wonderful way to use your talent.

Isn't that a beautiful child.;w

7. TFAT Glockster

TFAT Glockster Patriot

I do! Member of the Angel Flight West, SoCal Wing!

8. clubsoda22

clubsoda22

You guys are great, if i had the time and money to take up flying i'd definately be doing that. I've always had an interest in aviation, and i'm in nursing school with the hope of eventually becoming a flight nurse. I'd love to learn to fly small aircraft and get my pilots licence, but everything is so expensive.

9. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

ClubSoda,

I highly recommend pursuing flight nursing when you are finished with school. To me, it is one of the best -- and most rewarding nursing/paramedic positions available.

I was in the air medical helicopter field for 12 years and can give you the ins and outs -- and how to "break in" to a sometimes very closed and competitive field. Send me a PM if you want more information.

In the mean time, go ahead and join the National Flight Nurses Association and subscribe to the Journal of Air Medical Transport to learn some aspects of the business. Also, if the annual Air Medical Transport Association conference is ever hosted close to you -- attend. It is a great way to meet people and network for future employment.

Best wishes in your education!

10. clubsoda22

clubsoda22

I was told by a bunch of flight medics and nurses that i know that turnover in the philly area is very low and i'll probably have to move out west to get a job. God forbid alaska with routine 1000 mile transports. Go ahead and shoot me a PM.