Any of you convert your old fluorescent lamps to the new LED tubes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nsl, Jul 13, 2020.

1. nsl

nsl

I've got a few fixtures around the house that are the two prong, four foot style and have been thinking about going to LED bulbs.
    Tired of messing with the flickering and all that goes with them when the bulbs get older.
    Has anyone changed over to the LED's?
    If so, what was involved?

TBO and FullClip like this.
  2. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley Just some guy

I just changed out the bulbs in my laundry room, simple as just changing bulbs. The LED bulbs didn't work in the 4ft fixtures in my garage so I changed the whole fixture to LED.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jump and Glock45Lover like this.

3. DaverZ

DaverZ

I have and really like them,instant on and no flickering

4. The Hawk

The Hawk

I ended up replacing the old shop lights in our basement with LED shop lights from Costco. Catch them on sale for under $20. Also have them in our garages. They work great.

5. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

I changed all the fixtures out in my garage and shop, they changed out every light in our plant, and the difference is huge!!

CBennett likes this.
  6. CBennett

CBennett

yup they are better all around in all respects pretty much.

knoxrocks222 likes this.
  7. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Everthing I have is now LED. Never got on the CFL bandwagon and my tubes were all switched when they became available. Flourescents aren't ment to be turned off and on like incandescents. You can strobe LEDs (they actually strobe anyway) with zero harm.

8. davethehiker

davethehiker

Oh heck ya, just do it. LED are now available in pleasing bright colors. They are easy to install. No more messing with dangerous long thin glass tubes that contain mercury. There are no ballast transformers to worry about. No visible flickering. I can't think of a single advantage to florescent, except maybe they were better for growing plants and I'm not sure about that?

FullClip likes this.
  9. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Do you remove the ballast to use the LED tubes?

byf43, n2g, flyover and 1 other person like this.
  10. nerr

nerr

Love LED's. There are apparently two types of LED fluorescent bulbs: those that work with the ballast in old flxtures and those that need their own fixtures.

I replaced the fixtures on the fluorescents. My fixtures were over 40 years old with those silver cylindrical capacitor-looking ballasts that last a long time, but who knows how long they will be available and at what cost. Either way, you will like them. You'll save some money over fluorescents and will like the instant on without having to check to be sure you are not having a stroke or there being an EMP attack every time you turn them on.

11. Gokyo

Gokyo

I have replaced all of the lights in my garage with Cosco LED lights that look a lot like a fluorescent light fixture.

I replaced all the lights in my dads garage with panel light fixtures.

Both a way better the fluorescent bulb lights.

The panel ones are nice but I like how you can daisychain the “tube” style instruments together.

poles19 likes this.
  12. Out West

Out West

Converted to LED lighting through out the entire house. In most cases, it just required new bulbs. In some places I replaced the old fixtures with new LED fixtures. Costco is a good source for tubes and fixtures. I get bulbs from Amazon. Where I had flourecent tubes, the new LED tubes went in with no modifications required.

LED is so much better: brighter, cooler and cheaper to power. Worth the effort.

Jringo8769 likes this.
  13. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley Just some guy

Not the ones I bought.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

n2g likes this.
  14. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Nope, I simply replaced them with whole new fixtures with the little yellow squares all over inside. The ones I bought came with remotes for dimming and an "off" timer. Probably cheaper than the half azzed/in between tubes.

15. tom mac

tom mac

did the Costco led shop lights.... easy, quick and threw the old ones out in trash ( someone took them in less than 4 hrs )

Liked the costco led shop lights so well, went back and picked up two more.

BTW, they have a elec socket on one end for whatever but DO NOT draw more than 2 amps or it will blow... took apart and soldered in a new car fuse, all good again.

FullClip likes this.
  16. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Yup...it seemed I was always chasing a burned out light or ballast with the old fluorescents I had in my kitchen and basement. Much better now with the LED fixtures. I have changed a lot of my old incandescent light bulbs too. But the big one next to my easy chair is always gonna' be an incandescent...in the winter time, that baby throws some serious heat along with the light.

flyover likes this.
  17. DrVlad

DrVlad Millennium Member

Few things to understand when replacing fluorescent with led tubes/lights.

You have two choices if you are keeping the same fixture. One is plug and play and keeps the ballast in line. Other is direct wire without the ballast.......better method but requires a little electrical know how.

Simply replace the fluorescent tube with an appropriate LED tube made to work with the ballast still in line. In this case you still have potential of dealing with a bad ballast periodically. May be an issue in colder climates.

Alternatively, you can replace with LED that are direct wired without ballast.........it’s a different bulb type. You have to rewire the fixture but it’s easy to do. You replace the tombstones in the fixture.

As some have also said, you could replace the entire fixture.

When comparing fluorescent tube lumen output to that of LED, realize they measure fluorescent output 360 degrees around the bulb. LED tube output is measured directionally 180 degrees or less so will almost always state less lumen output than equivalent size fluorescent, but could actually be brighter.

n2g, flyover and davethehiker like this.
  18. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

You mean 4 prong (2 on each end) - 4’ “rapid start”?

I have used these in a couple of fixtures. I didn’t have to change anything. The instructions indicate that if you get buzzing or flicker, you will need to bypass the ballast.

Walmart has the best price of anywhere I checked. Much lower than Amazon and Ace Hardware.

I’ve installed several dedicated LED shop lights in the garage, they work very well. Honeywell brand from Sams Club.

19. handyman

handyman

You don't need to remove the ballasts, but if you don't you will use more energy. I removed all mine.

n2g likes this.
  20. Elicsx

Elicsx

There are several options when installing LED lights , i removed my ballast which required a little wiring change ,but it was worth it.Do a Google search , and you will find all kinds of good info .

1bigK, n2g and flyover like this.