close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Nurses here?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by doktor doom, Dec 30, 2009.

1. doktor doom

doktor doom

I'm pondering a mid-life career change, and several friends of mine have done sort of the same thing, and gone into nursing. I'd like to hear just general observations on the job, or any advice from those who have chosen this career.

How rigorous/difficult was the schooling for you, what different types of positions are available within the field, is it a financially good move, do you have any reservations/regrets about it, how physically taxing is it, etc, etc?

My background is in hospitality/ restaurant, and my education was liberal arts oriented. I'm looking for something that pays a bit better and has a little more upward mobility than what I'm doing now. I'm almost 40.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts, please.

2. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I am not a nurse but work alongside 5 who are (4 women, 1 man). I've never once heard any of them say they disliked this type of work and I know that they are VERY well paid for what they do. These 5 do not work any longer in direct patient care either, so they have regular M-F hours and are off weekends.

3. hhb

hhb

I retired 3 years ago at a hospital with it's own college of nursing. The hospital provided loans to students, and if the grad would sign on after graduation, would forgive all or part of the loan. Great career, but it's one of those 24/7 jobs. No such thing as a weekend until longevity occurs. Lots of 12 hr shifts too.

4. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

I think it depends largely on what you mean by "nurse".

Lots of titles based on state, but Nurse's Assistant? LVN? RN?

My wife has been an RN for about 15 years. The fact that she is in demand has been a great blessing for us. She is a stay-at-home Mom and works 1 night shift a week (usually a Friday night). A couple of times we've wanted extra income, she just schedules extras shifts as a "flex pool" nurse.

Pay is outstanding, but no benefits (and none needed, we use mine).

She works a few extra shifts and we get to do cool things with the kids, like this year for spring break we are doing a week-long Disney cruise to the Bahamas.

Great career. I know my wife loves it. I can't speak to what it's like to work a "full time" hospital job, but many of the RN's I know work when they want (flex pool, home health, etc.)

5. Caldonnox

Caldonnox

I wouldn't do it thats just me though. I am not a nurse but I work with a lot of nurses, the schooling is tough. Not only is it tough it is competitive. So many people want to be nurses because they hear the pay is good and you will always have job security. So depending on how many schools are near you there could be a few year wait just to get into their nursing program. Also it will depend a lot on your GPA and a usually schools use a point system on who gets into the nursing classes first.

Does it pay well. Well that depends on where you work. Most hospitals I am hearing about in my area are no longer hiring anyone after they do there internship their. Your first job will most likely be in a nursing home to get some experience and move on into a hospital if you want more money. And btw yes working at a nursing home sucks.

Anyway those are just some things to think about. I would call your local colleges and ask about their programs and how they work. On top of that you need to decide if you will spend less time in school and get a LPN or go longer and get a RN. Call around and ask nursing homes and hospitals what their starting pay is for these positions. Oh and from what I hear it is just about impossible to work and go to school full time for this profession, there is just too much to study for.

Anyway that's just some food for thought. I would ask around and if you have any nurse friends ask them to tell it to you straight.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. Glenn129

Glenn129

My wife was a nurse for 30 years and when she is asked this question she remarks, "Will you be willing to wipe up vomit and defecation and listen to the whining complaints of those on medicaid about not getting orange juice delivered on time when you have others dying down the hall along with doctors full of the God complex that scream at the nurses because their wife screamed at them at home?" If not don't even think about nursing, but if you are willing to put up with it you will find nursing a rewarding career where a good nurse can always find a job. BTW, the training and schooling for nurses today is not near as demanding as it was in the past.

7. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Not a nurse.
    A number are on here.

Tough occupation.
    They are the ones that hold it together.
    :supergrin:

8. Cobra6

Cobra6

My daughter is in Nursing school - I think if you would enjoy this work - go for it -
    If you think you are going to get rich - maybe - but the latest government debacle with health care may limit income in the future - after all - they are telling everyone else how much they think they should make.
    The government studies are already talking about how much more doctors and health care professionals make here than in India, Europe, etc.

9. Mr V

Mr V

Glen129 said it best. Reread it and really think about it!!
    There are lots of other jobs in the medical field.
    Our local com. college have lots of diff. programs in the medical field.
    Health Information Technology, Health Unit Cooordinator, EMT, ultra-sound, etc.
    You could also look into physical therapy.

10. chuckman

chuckman

I went to nursing school at age 33. I wanted a job that 1) had mobility (a job no matter where I went), 2) decent pay, 3) diversity (I can do clinical nursing, teach, do research, go into management, etc), 4) be economy-proof. I have been a nurse for almost 7 years. Some days I love it, some days I don't. I like most everyone I work with. It is a great job, but you have to pay your dues...critical care and ER jobs generally (but not always) do not take 'new grads,' and you have to work the floors or step-down before going to these areas. I have worked both critical care (surg-trauma ICU, neurosurg ICU, burn ICU) and ED where the men:women ratio is pretty close. I get ribbed every now and then about being a male nurse, so you get thick skinned. It is not for everyone, school is competitive (but not that hard). If you are interested, call a hospital and ask to shadow in some different areas (ED, ICU, the floors, etc.). PM me if you have any specific questions.

11. community

community Member

a great employment choice. nurses are needed. go for it.

12. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

In school to be an RN now. :wavey:

13. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

i'm an LPN, peckin' away at my RN (4 semesters to go, baby!!!). worked in an ER, done home health, starting a Pre-Op and PACU job next week. there is a place in nursing for just about everyone, from number-crunchers to adrenalin junkies. the pay ain't bad, the hours suck, and there's little respect. but when i say "i'm an ER nurse, or i work in a surgery center, i feel damn good about myself."

14. G30MI

G30MI

Not a nurse, but have/had 2 sisters that are/were (one is deceased, hence the past tense). One spent 15 years in neo-natal ICU, taking care of very small, fragile humans. She finally succumbed to burnout a few years ago and went to work in a pediatric clinic. She had some very interesting experiences in that job, from flying air-evac to pick up sick premies at hospitals not equipped to handle them, to being wined and dined by a couple of medical supply companies trying to sell incubators and such to her hospital (flown by private jet to company headquarters, demo'd equipment, and put up in a 5-start hotel. As a nurse!). But, she worked damn near every major holiday (despite her seniority) and worked her tail off from the start of her shift to the end.

The other one spent about 10 years in cardiac and surgical ICU (she too worked most holidays), then went to work for the heart transplant team as patient care coordinator (she wore a pager 24x7x365 and had to go to work immediately when that thing went off), then got offered a full-ride to get her CRNA (certified registered nurse anesthetist) training. She spent a few years in operating rooms knocking patients out for surgery, and got paid handsomely for it. Unfortunately she lost a battle with cancer and is no longer with us, but she loved every minute of her career.

Both worked at a top-notch research and teaching hospital in Detroit.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  15. Hartford

Hartford

My mother is an ICU nurse and this is how she describes it. She doesn't like it.

16. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

If I knew then what I know now, I would have took Nursing at Vo-Tech in High School. I would have been going into the work force at the height of the crazy years. Huge starting bonuses and stuff because there was a nationwide shortage of Nurses.

17. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

I need a sponge bath

:supergrin:

18. actionpup

actionpup Psycho Pup!

You asked about the education; it is tough. In the ten years of college I endured which was tough, watching my wife suffer through her nursing program seems worse. She is one of the smartest women I've ever known and it has been rough even for her.

It seems that many nursing programs today suffer from goal displacement. Rather than teaching the students to be good nurses, they focus on honing student's test taking skills for the NCLEX. Grades are often based on tests only. Skill building exercises don't play into the grade; nor do other important aspects of the program.

This is MUCH different from the undergraduate and graduate work I experienced to work in mental health. We watched some of my wife's good friends who would have made well rounded nurses flunk out due to their being poor test takers. If you aren't a good test taker, spend some time improving that skill or you won't likely make it.

I will also add that I have numerous friends who are RNs and nurse practioners (who were RNs) and they say the programs today are nothing like the ones they went through. This includes nurses who just went through a program a few years ago. Not trying to dissuade you, just trying to ensure you make an informed decision.

19. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

20. mikecu

mikecu

My wife just got her RN degree last year and landed a decent paying job quickly. She likes it so far.