close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any non-LEO's ever had to draw their weapon?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by maximus1079, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

I had a similar story. I was deer hunting in Idaho, and I was being tracked by a big one I saw it as it was approaching me , and I was going to pop it with my .350 Remington Mag but it ran away. Very odd as I could sense it under the ridge line I was following. Bit never saw it until it came out of the brush

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Save yourself some time....The last five pages are probably the most telling.

Post #632 is the BIG REVEAL.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

3. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

I've never had to draw on anyone. I've never been threatened. In fact, I don't know anyone personally who has pulled his weapon for SD.

I can understand bad situations in the woods, mall parking lots, a home break in, road rage and several other situations where the gun could become the last resort. I've managed to avoid trouble for many years by staying clear of likely attack places; thats by far the best defense we have.

4. singularity35

singularity35

Road rage is pretty bad here, especially from the marginalized who think they have an axe to grind against who they perceive as "the rich". I was pretty shook up and was still shaking while me and my wife were making the report to the police at the station.

5. clancy

clancy

I pulled my pistol once, when I was tending bar. A fight broke out over a pool game. I swear if I ever own a a bar there will be no pool tables. Almost every bar fight I have ever seen started over a pool game. A guy pulled a knife, I grabbed my .45 from underneath the register and told him to drop the knife. I probably said "please don't make me shoot you" about 50 times in the 2 or 3 seconds it took for him to drop it.

He took off, I called the cops and they picked him up about a half hour later in another bar. He got busted for parole violation. He had just gotten out of prison the week before, for stabbing someone.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

Sometimes it can be difficult to decide whether the situation was legitimate self defense or an escalation of criminal activity / road rage. Other times it is not difficult at all to decide that the incident consists only of various crimes.

7. maximus1079

maximus1079

OMG I think I definitely would have done the same thing! You just have to draw SLOWLY cause the "big cats" tend to take every move as a threat....or so I've been told :dunno:

8. maximus1079

maximus1079

Oh crap, I remember that thread now.....only made it like 15 pages in before I got a migraine :upeyes:

9. maximus1079

maximus1079

At least the 4-legged BG's can take a hint and run :rofl:

10. maximus1079

maximus1079

True story. Very well put!

11. maximus1079

maximus1079

I can understand that perfectly. When the OP took place I was finishing up an overnight shift patroling banks as an armed guard.....good thing I hadn't put my gear away yet!

12. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

I've been carrying about 15 years now, and never had to even think about drawing, or showing my weapon. I pretty much avoid puting myself in situations that up the odds of doing so...I very rarely go to ATM's after dark, I avoid rougher areas, and I let traffic incidents slide due to road ragers. While I like where I live, it's unfortunately a very liberal county. I don't want to go up against a liberal prosecutor, judge, or jury, because they would more than likely find that Mr Badguy was really a good person who made a few mistakes, and I was just a gun loving animal who wanted to scare/shoot someone. Not to mention, good or bad shoot, it's gonna be expensive for me.

13. maximus1079

maximus1079

Not surprising he had a record! At least you were prepared to defend others and yourself :supergrin:

14. maximus1079

maximus1079

It's been 11 years of CC for me too and I never thought I would have to draw. I even took an "Active Shooter Response" course at the Sig academy in Epping NH. Awesome educational experience! You would probably be painted as the bad guy too unfortunately :upeyes:

15. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

All I had to do was read the comment section of our local paper, to realize how anti gun our county is. My first thought was...My God, I hope I never have any of these people on the jury if I'm forced to draw/use my weapon.

16. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

I've drawn my weapon (from a nightstand) twice, in all the years that I've owned firearms.

The first was when some mis-guided individual broke into my house, while I was sleeping. (I lived alone. . . going through a divorce - 1985.)
    I met him at the bottom of the steps, with my Gov't Mdl in my hand.
    When the Sheriff's Deputies arrived, he was sitting on the floor, cross-legged, with my 1911 stuck inside of his mouth.
    (I was wearing the boxer shorts, that I claimed to have a 'load' in!):whistling:

I had a lot of glass to clean-up and replace (kitchen window) and the young miscreant only got 6 months probation.

The second time was about 2 years ago.
    I heard this POUNDING at my front door, at about 1:30 in the morning.
    I retrieved my G21 from the nightstand, and made my way to the stairs.
    (In my older age, I do NOT go to the source. . . . I let them come to me!)
    As I got to the stairs, I heard the front door open!
    I did a press-check and lights came on!!
    I thought, "Oh _ _ _ _!"
    Then, I heard my daughter's voice and saw her boyfriend at the door.

My daughter's boyfriend fell asleep on the couch, and his Dad had come over, looking for him!!!
    (The 'Dad' is a US Capitol Police Officer and a friend of mine.)

This boy's Dad never thought that anyone would be asleep.
    When I came to the door (in my boxer shorts and G21 at my side) he realized what he had done.

His only words, were, "Hey!!! Where do you hang a holster in that outfit??"

:rofl:

17. maximus1079

maximus1079

Agreed! That's why I didn't stick around for LEO's to show up. I told the EMT's what happened and exited stage left.

18. maximus1079

maximus1079

:rofl: Awesome!

19. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Not yet, at least not since I have been out of the military. Although I did use my rifle to chase off an tweaker on our property about 9 months ago.

20. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

One of my buddies and I decided to go to a junkyard to get some parts for his Toyota pickup. The junkyard was in a horrible part of the Birmingham ghetto; let's just say we stuck out like sore thumbs.

As we are leaving, a train starts to cross ahead on our way out. We are maybe the 6th or 7th stopped car back from the train. A less-than-upstanding individual walks up to the first car in line and starts beating on their passenger window, presumably to get them to roll it down. He then goes to the second car and does the same thing, then the third, etc.

I'm sitting in the passenger seat of my friends Toyota pickup, so once he's on about the 3rd car, I draw my G30 and have it pointed down in the floorboard. Literally right as he gets to the car in front of us, he hops in their back seat and they pull a U-turn and speed off.

Lucky for him he didn't have to stare down the big .45 pipe that day.