Any New load data for MechTech 10mm 180+200 gr XTP ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by knc1105, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

It's not necessarily this powder or that powder, but more working up a safe load for your gun. Certainly some combinations will better suit your needs than others - stay safe and let us know what you come up with!

Taterhead likes this.
  2. fredj338

fredj338

I assume the carbine still uses some sort of recoil spring?? Perhaps a little heavier spring to slow the bolt opening?

3. fredj338

fredj338

BlueDot is actually quite slow for a pistol powder, much slower than CFE, right under 2400.

4. knc1105

knc1105

Yep I looked on the burn rate chart and it is slow for a 5" pistol powder, the other way to possibly look at it for a carbine is its a really fast rifle powder. I had no smileys on any of the brass, so we'll see where it ends up and I'll be everybody's test dummy. I had my Kestrel 5700E with me but since these were not honey loads yet I did not post all the density altitude numbers etc. when they get closer I will.

5. fredj338

fredj338

Keep in mind you are NOT shooting a rifle cartridge but a pistol cart in a long bbl. No diff reloading wise, other than you will gain a little more vel. The blowback thing may figure into your powder choice, not sure, never worked with high pressure blowback designs.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    Taterhead likes this.
  6. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

I'm not familiar with the carbine in question, so I don't know if there's any mechanism, other than bolt mass and recoil spring, to retard the action - essentially, other than time to initiate movement, there's nothing locking the bolt.

Hot load, case expands, walls grip the chamber, web is a little weaker than the last one...

I'm sure blowback and the 10 can coexist, just don't see the two being an ideal combination when it comes to anything north of warm loads.

7. knc1105

knc1105

Well I will post really good data this week with atmospherics and chronograph data. Right now all we have is theory. Today and tomorrow is a 20% chance of rain and then the next 8 days it is 60-100% chance of rain so have to work the next couple of days, then I'll have time to load and shoot while its raining. You would think I died in Central Texas and woke up in Seattle or something. At least we have a couple of 100-yard indoor ranges that are close by.

8. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

Its a heavy bolt and a spring. YES.

Its FINE!! MANY guns/carbines are just blow back.

Its pressure curves, you need a powder that has a shorter curve. You don't want pressures still raising as the bolt opens... That's how you get blown cases and smiles.

Smiles occur from unsupported chambers, we should know this. The bolts mass pulls the case out of the chamber as recoil forces overcome inertia. If pressures are still high or raising as the case comes out the weaker areas of the brass are all that closes up the back of the barrel...

I have gotten some excellent results. BUT IMHO the bigger issue is getting a bullet to preform at the higher velocities. As I mentioned, many are built for the 40S&W let alone full house 10MM than throw in up to 500 more velocity form the 16" barrel...

CW

9. fredj338

fredj338

Which is why i am a fan of 200gr jhp. They are designed for 10mm vel.

10. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

Hey, I'll knock Seattle with you, but I'm
    Absolutely!

Was just suggesting a bit of caution (a we handloaders are know for :) ) as hot loads are approached.

Looking forward to a range report :)