close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Navy and AF vets here been to Subic and Clark

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tongix, May 30, 2012.

1. tongix

tongix

They showed a moving film last night on PBS. It was about the kids born to Filipina women by our servicemen in the PHilippines.
    Many were left without fathers . Just one of the many Amerisian issues arising from our bases in Vietnam during the war, Korea and Japan.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2238356247/

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. Combatcomm

Combatcomm

I am married to a Filipina, whenever we go to thePhilippines she will not let me go the province those cities are located. Shesays too much temptation. She is silly we have been married going on 11 years nothing could tempt me to mess around on her.
    I meant her in Korea.

3. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

Been to Subic a couple of times. Been to Angles City at Clark many times. Always stayed at the 5 Star rated Sheraton, well, 5 Star for PI. Had the club Mirrors connected to it.

A lot of the working girls wanted to marry a GI and move to America and live the "Good Life".

4. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

During Vietnam, 1960's. This was a major R&R port for the Navy. Subic also had a shipyard that made repairs to our ships. The Navy also had an air station at the bay. It appeared the standard of living for the locals was very poor to poverty. You could see where people lived on the hillsides with just sheets of metal and plywood. They lived off the US Military. I remember the town as mostly bars and hotels. I had shipmates that would just give their girlfriends all their money to keep to pay for all their expenses during our stay. No, I wasn't one of them. A few beers, and I was back to the ship. It was very hot and humid there, and our ship was nicely air conditioned. This was my work on board.

5. tongix

tongix

Watching the video is an eye opener to how these Amerisians are still discriminated. Most Filipinos are conditioned to praise the white skinned foreigners but not the blacks. They use the N word to refer to them which is a no no here in the states. Many of them still long to leave the islands and come over here. Thanks to the internet they can surf and use person finder searchengines.
    In contrast to many Vietnamese Amerisians , many have been granted entry to the states .

6. vart

vart

Been to Subic Bay twice; drank too much Mojo in Olongopo... I may have contributed to the problem...

7. jprj

jprj

Ive heard different versions of stories related to this. Almost all if not all of the children is aspiring to meet their father. Some gave their full effort to find them. Some even went to the US just to find them. The sad versions are those who have done everything only to find out that they will be denied by their real father.

Sent through outdoor hub mobile. - jim jaucian

8. moishlashen

moishlashen Senile Member

Been there done that a few times.

9. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

The cover bands are great!

We arrived post Mount Pinatubo eruption to evacuate American servicemembers and dependents....You could see looters coming onto the base on one side while dependents were leaving on the other.... Many, many left with what they could carry, thinking they'd be back in a few days. But they shut the base down and no one was allowed to return.

10. tongix

tongix

Were all the small arm armories cleaned up by the navy and airforce before the big bang of Mt Pinatubo? How about the bombs and rockets as well as the nukes? I read the entire base housing were hit hard. And once the base was abandoned the looters practically removed everything of value from bolts to nuts of toilet commodes. A lot of appliances , sofas and uniforms were sold in Angeles surplus market. Just amazing , as if its like the last days of Saigon. Gone too the many nightclubs and motels as business practically stopped. The heavy rains flooded the towns and villages as lahar took its toll on along the way. Its like Monserat in the Caribbean when the volcano took the entire town in 1997..

11. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

I was stationed at Clark. Was there for Pinatubo. I was one of those who returned to work at the base after the eruption while they were closing it down. Worked at the base weather station.

Didn't leave behind any children though.

12. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I was there also.

I worked security. Boy, was that an adventure! :drink::upeyes:

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

13. striker6126

striker6126

Been to subic 6 times and clark twice.

14. jprj

jprj

Denial I mentioned here is of different flavors. Some are doubts that can be answered by DNA testing, some are denials that they are not their child and some are denied simply because they now have their own family that acknowledging this left behind children may jeopardize their new life. :(

Most of these women who was in subic are from poor family. So what do you expect when they were left with child without any support.

They can now be compared with street children. They have been suffering from discrimination and most of them experience some form of abuse and even domestic violence. White female Amerasians are highly vulnerable to sexual harassment. FYI.

I found this site with few links that may help also.

http://www.subicbaypi.com/subic_behind_c_p.htm

15. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

I got quite a few massages in Olongapo. Lots of fun!

:pepper:

16. jprj

jprj

That's the ugly truth, I'm guessing that majority, took it just for fun. :(

17. tongix

tongix

Just sad to see these kids trying hard to find their identity. Filipinos are very nice people, friendly and loyal.
    Their govt is just too corrupt from top to bottom.

18. Jay S.

Jay S.

I was there for the eruption. It was surreal.

19. vart

vart

What ship were you on? I was on the Abraham Lincoln (CVN72)... I have pictures of the hangar bays on our ship turned into a dance floor for an impromptu concert for the dependents...

This is me on the flight deck of the Lincoln docked at Subic Bay...

[​IMG]

Buddy of mine in a bar in Olongopo City...

[​IMG]

20. mixflip

mixflip

I watched that show also. It was pretty sad. 50,000 half Filipino-half American kids growing up never knowing their father. Many actually track down their fathers in America 15 to 20 years later but most already have a wife and kids and many have no desire to admit they have an illegitimate kid in a foreign country. (many were husbands cheating on their wives back home)

The saddest story was the ones who tried to go to the US embassy and get some type of support for being half American...and they are denied any help regardless of their American parent.

Im half Pinoy and Irish so I can relate to a certain degree. Im thankful I was born and raised in America and have what I have in life. If grandpa didnt immigrate...I would not exist or I would probably one of those living in poverty in the P.I.?