Any MP's out there?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by hi480volts, Feb 5, 2010.

1. hi480volts

hi480volts

Thinking of joining the Army and pursuing a MP career. Any pro's or con's. Also, what is available in the civilian sector( federal government) to someone with that experience. Thanks for any input.

2. walt cowan

walt cowan

3. Swiper

Swiper

From what I have seen being an MP will probably not do much good for a future civilian career. Unless of course, you later manage to become an Investigator or CID Special Agent.

If you are looking at the crime prevention / legal field, joining Army JAG might be a better option. You can get into their civilian paralegal certification program which can be useful later on. In addition you could get a court reporter certification through JAG and make pretty good money in the civilian sector that way

4. arclight610

arclight610

I am not Army, nor an MP. However I am a Marine and did a short stint as Security Forces. You will get OC sprayed, you will get tazed, and you will never have any real holidays off or anything because you will be doing shift work. When everyone else is off, you're still working. Civilian opportunities = police officer with enough experience, unless you have a clearance.

5. Spence

Spence

I am not an MP either, but my brother is and we talk about it often. His plan afterwards is LEO. Locally they require college before you can become LEO, not sure if this is across the board, but his army time as an MP counts for that instead of college.

6. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I'm not an MP, but I am Infantry. I'll tell you that your gonna do the same exact thing we do, when your overseas. I don't know for sure, but I've heard it from several people that PD's would prefer an Infantryman over an MP, due to the fact that MPs are set in their ways with the Military Laws and such. Take this with a grain of salt, as its just something I've heard; it would be best to do research on this subject.

Pros-

Pulling over Senior NCO's and then pissing them off by saying "Sergent, don't confuse your rank with my authority"
    You get to turn on your lights and siren, and drive really fast!
    You can go to the PX anytime you want and no one will yell at you.
    You get to keep your cover on while indoors, because your under arms when on duty.

Cons-

Don't go into an Infantry Brigade Area alone; you'll get your *** beat, and your clothes stolen.
    Your working while we [Infantrymen] are relaxing, drinking beer.
    EO Complaints and scandals are a bigger reality, and take away from training and down time; I won't say why; it'll piss someone off. HINT- what do MPs have in their ranks that the Infantry does not? BINGO! That's why.

Also.......don't believe a damn thing your recruiter tells you. If you told them you'd join if the sky was green, they'd tell you the sky in green.

If you wanna get down, dirty, have little to no sleep, get shot at, blown up by IEDs, run 10 miles ever monday morning at the asscrack of dawn, the Infantry is for you. I'll tell you this: I've met men in the Infantry that I would give them the shirt of my back, and men that I would take a bullet for. They'd do the same for me; realize this sense of being doesn't exist everywhere in the Army, and is not found as often as it used to be, or should be.

Besides......real men don't play with dolls! Join the Infantry and pin that Blue Cord on your right shoulder! :supergrin:

*DISCLAIMER*

The individual above is certified crazier than a **** house rat, and is slightly biased. :supergrin:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  7. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Former SP here. Military experience doesn't count for much after you get out. If you are interested in serving, fine, if you are looking for schooling because you want a civilian LE career you can probably do better at a local university.

I did know one first term enlisted man who completed a bachelors degree in four years in the Air Force, but he really had to work at it.

8. noway

noway

I have to disagree to some that state it has no bearing in the civivvy sector

MP/SP are always top picks in the civilian sector. They persons that are or had structure, organizational, and team player experience.

Right now across the nation, police/sheriff/FBI are at a high demand for new recuirts.
    Get a degree if you can, learn a language ( Spanish Arabic Korean ) and then apply when you get out. You WILL GET PICKUP .

9. TheBelly

TheBelly

AI is about 95% correct here, and the learning points aren't military specific:

About the don't go into an infantry brigade area........ ALL infantry brigades have MPs in their ranks these days; they are in the Special Troops Battalion, which is the place they put all the Combat Support Soldiers.... Basically, go do your job, but don't be a self-righteous turd in the first place

About the attitude with senior NCOs when you pull them over......same as above, don't be a self-righteous turd in the first place.

Turning lights on and driving fast is AWESOME! ..... until someone complains. MPs that do dumb crap get weeded out pretty quick. I had to be able to do as I do, not just as I say. Example, I had to see the post Command Sergeant Major because I got a parking ticket. That was a horrible day. his name was CSM Gainey, and he was a fairly strict individual. He was the Chairman-JCS CSM last I heard.

EO complaints make life difficult...having both genders in the work force make for some very interesting and (sometimes) stressful working environments. A buddy of mine swore up and down that he was in love with his NCO, and paid the price for it.... You don't see that when your MOS is only open to dudes.

shift work shift work shift work..... get used to working when everyone else is drinking and partying. Get used to showing up to their parties to arrest them.

The one BIG selling point for the MP Corps is simple: The MK19 grenade machine gun. Eff everything else, when that bad boy gets going (and not jamming or what-have-you).... the BS stops......

<----- oh btw, Current Army, Former MP.

I was able to walk onto a 'tactical team' right out of my first enlistment, simply because I was on the SRT Team at my first duty station. If it wasn't for that fact, I wouldn't have had a job in college. Civilian LEO would NOT hire me because I was an MP. The recruiter for the local sheriffs office bluntly told me that MPs are too set in their ways.

The promotion rates (promotion scores) for the infantry are FAR below those of jobs that require finer motor skills, such as electronic missile systems maintainer.....basically what you give up in test scores, you gain in the school of hard knocks; that's the way it goes for a combat arms guy, so it's not 'easier' to get promoted, just hard in a different way.

Being an MP was great for me, but only because I knew I wanted to be on a SWAT team and when I was done with that, I got out and now have a different job in the Army.

My very firm (bullheaded and sometimes stupid) sense of "black-and-white-there-is-no-gray-area" came because I was an MP. It has both helped me and hurt me since then.

Being a Military Policeman won't get you an edge when you're looking for a job as a civilian LEO.

My $.02 and I think that about sums it up.. flame on!

10. Halojumper

Halojumper

As it should be. Let them round up prisoners or terrorists or direct traffic, but keep them away from real soldiers. Unless it's changed drastically since I was in, they are the least respected people in the Army.

11. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Being an MP s the way to go. As you can tell from the posts of those who weren't, you catch a lot of flack. That's only because you're the best, they just wanted to be. Once you're in, you'll understand why they seem to need the uplift. You'll understand all too well.

It was great. Worked as a dog handler, MPI, and served on many special duties. Shift work for sure. No holiday's off for sure, but you won't mind. The work is the best you can get, especially if you go into something other than just a patrolman. Even worked on the Presidential Protection Team for a while as a K-9 team, and got to meet two Presidents. It has it's bright spots. Went TDY all over the country, the legs went to the field. Saw and worked in some great places around the US. Worked on different bases for different parts of the military, Army, Air Force, Marines (that was fun). Oh, and did I say the legs.........................went to the field?

Don't worry about the legs, you'll get to tune them up enough. Plenty of stick time if at a good post. They may talk stuff and that's ok, everyone needs to feel big, but it's how they act around you that counts. If they don't behave? Dude, that's why you're an MP. Quite the adventure.

As for after the Military? I can only tell you about myself. When interviewing for a civilian leo job, I was picked over six others. Because of the MP experience and the schools I was able to attend. I retired as Deputy Chief. YMMV.

Have fun whatever you do.

12. ParaBear

ParaBear

13. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Source of that "thought" please sir?

14. ParaBear

ParaBear

15 years as a civilian LEO and eight regular army, three NG, 11Bravo.

15. mikeyU

mikeyU

I have heard the same thing when I was talking to recruiters, I thought they were full of BS and just wanted me to sign on for something else, the main reason I was considering the military was to build a resume so I have a better chance of being hired on to a local agency, since military background is such a big + on your application. If anyone have any advice please let me/us know. Thank you:wavey:

16. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

You specifically asked about federal opportunities after a tour in the army as an MP. Let me address some opinions that don't have enough facts.

(1) Prior military is a plus for civilian law enforcement. Some of the obvious reasons are that you understand and have self discipline. You've learned to be a team player. You've served your country, now you'll serve your community.
    (2) "an MP is the most despised person in the army". Maybe, but the criminals out here won't like you much either, so be it.
    (3) Having an MP background is a plus over military service, you'll already understand most legal concepts that apply on both sides of the fence.
    (4) The retraining to "civilian standards" is a non-issue. You'll receive the same training as someone with no prior experience, you'll just have a headstart on your peers.

What's in my background that qualifies me to make these statements?

(1) Retired Air Force, spent 15 years as an SP. (before anything is said, I tried to go fulltime Army as an MP but they wouldn't let me retrain out of my 17K20 MOS)
    (2) 15 years as civilian LEO (currently a Lieutenant) since retirement. Prior military stand a much better than average chance of being hired and prior MP/SP typically go to the head of the pack.

17. Airborne Infantryman

That still happens, but in a non-physical way. Ever seen a Battalion Commander lock a PFC MP to attention, then tell him to go **** himself in front of everyone? :supergrin:

Battalion Commander was from 1st Ranger Battalion. Combat Scroll and Tabbed. :faint:

18. ParaBear

ParaBear

My old Chief who retired two years ago was 25th ID in Vietnam and disliked MPs. He was concerned that they would forget all about the Fourth Amendment through habit and get sued. John Q. Citizen isn't PVT. Joe Snuffy. As an example to the difference between the military and civilian world, once a dope pipe was found on the ground near our perimeter while out in the field. All training was stopped and all E-5s & below lined up by squad and were searched by us SSG & above. My squad was squared away and I was ashamed to make my guys dump their gear and turn uniform inside out with no evidence of wrong doing; you couldn't do it to the worst gangbanger on the block. As a civilian LEO, if you found a crack pipe in the street and then rounded up and searched every one in a 300 meter radius just because it was there, you would have no job and civil rights lawyers would take all your stuff.

19. Airborne Infantryman

Yeah, well we get AT4s! BOO-YAH! :rofl: :supergrin:

20. TheBelly

TheBelly

I see your AT4, and raise you that yes, a cow doesn't survive when shot by one of those (personal experience).....

TOW Missiles are also fun, but if that wire gets caught up and breaks mid-flight.... Well, my missile went UP!!! I think that son-of-a-gun landed in Canada!