close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Military GT'ers been to Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Airborne Infantryman, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I'm headed to Afghanistan for this years deployment, and its ****ing stressful thinking about it; if you told me I was going back to Iraq, I would not be worried, as I know what to expect.

I'm going to a place I've never been, and most of all, I'm not a PFC like last deployment; I'm a Fireteam Leader who is responsible for telling the wives of the men under me, that I'll bring their husbands home alive.

I just want to get these men home alive to their wives and mothers. Any Military GT'ers here have any words of wisdom or advice for me to deal with this stress? Reguardless, I am an Infantryman, and I will do what I've done the almost 4 years I've been in; I will adapt, and overcome the odds. :faint:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. TheBelly

TheBelly

On my way right now....

I know where you're going, so I'll have good info for you.... (we've talked about this before I think)

3. arclight610

arclight610

I haven't been to Afghanistan, but from what I hear from my buds who have it is more conventional warfare. You're going to be ruckin' and its not going to be a room-clearing MOUT type environment. When you get contact, its going to fireteam/squad rushes. Thin air in the mountains too.

4. deadday

deadday

5. Swiper

Swiper

Spent 10 months in Afghanistan back in 2004/5. But it was a completely different war back then. I was driving around Kabul in an single unarmored Ford SUV without any backup support.

6. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Thank you for your service! :patriot: I have a cousin in the USMC who is over there and works as a helicopter technician. He says its a real nice place, until you start getting shot at.

7. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

:patriot: God bless and be safe

8. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

As a leader, stay strong................

....watch over your men, but you can't be all things to all people. Remember your mission and get it done. Think straight, have confidence in your men and you'll make it.

When it's a guys time to go.....there's nothing you can do about it........that's just war. Just try to keep as many as you can alive, the rest is up to them. They understand that. They will depend on you so stay strong and do the best you can.

God Bless you and Go get 'em.

9. Upstate Glocker

Upstate Glocker

I was there as a civilian in 2005; up north. Not much going on, we drove from Kabul to Mazar e-sharif thru the rural areas in an unarmored Toyota and didn't bother wearing our body armor (threw it in the back seat). Now my stepson is a 0311 USMC in Marjah, so the wife and I are watching the embed reports and USMC info by the hour. His unit had a KIA last week -- shot in the head by a sniper, apparently at over 400 yards. That's no AK and a different kind of fighting. There are two basic threats in Marjah, IEDs and now snipers at 400-800 yards, apparently. Oh, and the "winning their hearts" rules of engagement that don't allow our guys to fire unless they can see the bad guy's gun. The ROE also prohibit air support except under very, very restricted conditions. Wouldn't want to destroy any of their beautiful homes that are being used as sniper hideouts.

10. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Come back soon, as I'm confident that the victory declaration will be issued after the 2010 warring season.

From my civilian perspective, it seems that the Marjah operation is being done with the utmost care to avoid exposing soldiers to danger. That's why it's taking so long.

11. Paraiso1

Paraiso1

I just got back about 2 weeks ago. If you let me know where you are going then I could give you a better description of the area. In general though, most places really aren't THAT bad like the news makes it out to be. Now if you are going to Oruzgon or Helmand, it is a little different story. Either way, I enjoyed Afghanistan MUCH more than Iraq. This really does depend on where you go though. As for advice, do everything exactly the way you were taught. Never ever forget about the men under you, and take pride in (not credit for) their success. If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.

12. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

I just got back from Bagram last month. I wish I had some advise, but I'm Air Force and spent all my time putting jets in the air for CAS.

Good luck over there brother!!

Bring yourself and your soldiers home safe.

13. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I just got back from Afghanistan. The weather is better than Iraq in most parts. Dry, not too hot in summer (unless you are down really low and it gets 120 or so), not too cold in winter (unless you are up really high). My mission was training Afghan soldiers. Most days, we spent the whole day and some of the night off the FOB wearing ACU's and a pistol (the 10th Mountain infantry company working with us had to wear IBA/full field uniform/crew served weapons/etc. to the same place, but they didn't need them). Not very dangerous - our worst year in Afghanistan (2009) less Americans got killed than some days in Vietnam. I worried more about disease than bombs or bullets - make sure your people stay clean and wash their hands a lot. The biggest issues we had was with a general who flies everywhere issuing driving rules that would get a lot of people killed if anybody ever followed them

When I went to Afghanistan I was full of BS about "proud warriors who faught the Russians" etc. - That is complete BS. I don't know who faught the Russians (besides us) but they don't live there any more. There is no stereotype of Afghans that is negative enough to be true. If you try to tell Americans the truth about Afghans you sound like some insane, rabid racist. Even those who really hate Iraqis agree that Afghans are dumber (even Afghans agree with that). As one private said to me, "do they make those helicopters in America? In Afghanistan, we could not even make a needle."

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

A Glocktalker in Bagram...you weren't that guy I saw in the DFac with knives strapped to his belt, leg, off-side of his shoulder holster and a machete strapped across his back, were you?:rofl:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  16. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

Nope, not me :upeyes:

I spent most my time on the Fighter Side, only carried a M-16:crying:

17. Paraiso1

Paraiso1

I am not sure where you were in Afghanistan, but you certainly didn't do missions in Oruzgon or Helmand to be making statements like that. The "proud warriors who fought the Russians" were the Mujh, and I had several of them amongst my ANA. Who knows how many of them were on the other side, but I guess there are quite a few.

18. c17guy

c17guy

Good luck out there, just brought home some guys from Iraq, boy were they pissed when weather diverted us else where for the night! maybe i'll see ya on your way down!

19. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Good luck and thanks.

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You're right that there are some...among the colonels/majors/sergeants major/etc., but among the privates, sergeants and lieutenants? I hope to never see another lying, thieving, butt******, ANA scumbag skipping down the street holding hands with his "buddy."