Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
16,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Critical Care cert in January and I'm getting ready to tackle the FP-C. If anyone here has it I would appreciate some insight into the test.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sorry, former FP here but never did the FP-C. Several of my friends have and they said it was heavy on IABPs, Acid-Base balance, lab values and invasive monitoring.

Mike, FP-C is the certification test for Flight Paramedics.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Sorry, former FP here but never did the FP-C. Several of my friends have and they said it was heavy on IABPs, Acid-Base balance, lab values and invasive monitoring.
Yep. Just buy the study book. And get the CCRN or CFRN book too...they will only help.

·
Semper Fi
7,259 Posts
I was # 205, but have since let it lapse. When I took it, there were only a few IABP questions, alot of Acid/Base, and alot of tree'd questions.

It isn't an easy test, but if you have your CCEMTP, you should do OK.

·
Registered
26 Posts
DaleGribble,
Congradulations on completing CCEMTP! You learned allot of information, and much of it will fade quickly if you don't study. If you're going to challenge the FP-C exam you should do it before that knowledge fades.

FP-C is probably the most difficult academic test for a paramedics. Not only does it require advanced knowledge, but it's comprehensive and encompasses all possible conditions, populations and equipment. To pass this test you will have to review and study for several months and then pay the exam fee.

If you join IAFP, they will discount your exam fee. http://www.flightparamedic.org/index.aspx

Keep in mind the the people behind the FP-C exam have developed a ground transport/hospital based critical care paramedic exam CCP-C, which will be available this fall. http://bcctpc.org/

If you decide to take on this challenge I have some advice.
Do not buy the offical study guide, it's full of misprints.
I do recommend Air & Surface Patient Transport: Principles & Practice, by Renee S. Holleran this one of primary texts for the FP-C exam.
Also, Mosby's Emergency & Transport Nursing Examination Review, despite the title it is designed for FP-C review, and was also written by Renee S. Holleran. The included computerized practice exam is misleading because it's content is very different from the actual exam, but it will allow you to practice on a computer based exam.
Read the latest CAMTS standards, and pay special attention to weather minimums. http://www.camts.org/
Review everything, including ACLS, PALS, PEPP, ITLS/BTLS, NRP. Airway management, including all RSI meds, ventilator operation, V:Q issues, Lab values, IABP, Swan-gantz monitoring, and especially gas laws.

I self studied and passed FP-C after CCEMTP, so I do not have an opinion on the professional review courses, but if you can find outlines from those classes they're very helpful.

I hope this help and good luck.

Walking Softly, FP-C, A-B-C-D-E-F-G...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts