Any Medical Folks Here-Does This Seem Risky?

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by MGGLOCK9, Mar 29, 2020.

1. mj9mm

mj9mm

i hope you left already....

pittpa likes this.
  2. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

Maybe don’t sign the book. I think the club will be ok if you miss it this one time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pittpa likes this.

3. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

I personally would worry more about the people there if any of them MIGHT be one of those panic buyers shooting their first weapon the first time.

pittpa, willie_pete and papershoot like this.
  4. Dave514

Dave514

I worry more about other idiots at the range shooting me but you will certainly touch more than that book. The door going in, for instance.

5. WT

WT Millennium Member

Great!

How do you decontaminate your PPE after exposure?

Locally, 1 EMT enters the hot zone to perform a patient evaluation. If needed the other EMTs suit up and transport. They decon before entering the ER but I am not sure how.

Unfortunately, N95 masks are missing from the rig and store room. No signs of break-in.

6. oldmick

oldmick

Tough call for me. On one hand, staying home is the best way to avoid exposure, but the risk you are describing sounds like it is perfectly reasonable if you take precautions.

I would be more concerned about doing something for my own interest and taking the risk of bringing home the virus if infected.

Then again, I didn’t get this old being a risk taker. :)

7. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

Decon is washing clothes after the tx, wiping down the rig and surfaces commonly touched. We do not enter pt info on electronic tablet until we are washed up and out of our splash suites at the ER, so the tablet is not even touched until the transport is over. The ER has a room ready for the pt., with staff in isolation suites, and the patient gets a mask on their face from the time of our initial contact. So people make way, and we go straight in. Daily we fog the interior pt. compartment with a water and bleach solution.

We arrived on most all calls with a Medic unit with two people on it, and an engine with two to three on it, with a medic being on each rig. We send a medic in to a known Covid patient to see if they even need to go to the ER. IF they do, we try to do it with two people from the medic unit, keeping the engine away from the scene if we can. We have had good results so far. We had a far ahead thinking assistant chief years ago that ordered thousands of extra N95s. We have also been issued an MSA cartridge mask that can be used over and over.

larry_minn likes this.
  8. WT

WT Millennium Member

seagravedriver - thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

I still have my full face MSA cartridge mask from my EMT days.

9. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

This is what was used back in my Haz-Mat days. Probably better ways to do it now.

When you rolled up to a major spill and saw the three kiddie pools set up, you knew you were screwed.

decontam.jpg

haztec.jpg

larry_minn and WT like this.
  10. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

You can still fly to New York!

in a tube with strangers sitting all around you.

the range seems harmless

larry_minn and willie_pete like this.
  11. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

Actually for HazMat, (Mop and Glow), nothing has changed. Kiddie pools spell looooooong day!

willie_pete and larry_minn like this.
  12. Blanton

Blanton

^^THIS. It's the reason I ride my motorcycle often and stop in the countryside for breaks. After 35 yrs in medicine I know that avoiding crowds does more to prevent infectious diseases spreading than anything other than hand washing/sanitizers. Carry one with you and before it evaporates from your hands wipe your mouth and nostrils--the entry points.